• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Temperaments] Can type *really* never change?

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you had seen me a few years ago, you would have undoubtedly typed me as an INFP 4w5. I had an obsession with my identity and desperately wanted to be special somehow. I always thought it would be cool to be a sort of "chosen one" whose ability went beyond that of all others in some way. I envisioned myself single-handedly changing the world. In addition to this, I saw the best in everyone and even thought I could change primarily bad people. I was very into mysticism, romance, and other INFP-ish things. I wanted to be a social worker so badly.

Recently I've developed more of a cynical, security-focused outlook. I'm very critical of basically everyone, and I don't trust anyone implicitly. I'm not a nihilist or anything like that, but I guess I can see through people very easily? I've also noticed that I'm very objective, not in dealing with people at all but in solving problems and perceiving knowledge. I tend to get logic that a lot of others don't. I've also had people tell me I explain things in a confusing way, which I think is Ti. I'm the most awkward person I know and I spend most days either posting on typology forums or playing video games. I'm definitely an INTP.

I can see two possible reasons for this that are likely. The first one is that when I tested as INFP, I was so convinced that my result was accurate that I started displaying INFP characteristics. The second reason is that some traumatic events in my life brought out my shadow functions. I'm not going to go into detail about these (because, let's face it, no one cares) but basically there was a time in my life, lasting about 2.5 years, in which I was extremely vulnerable.

There is also an unlikely or even impossible reason: maybe I changed types as a result of emotional trauma. I've heard that it's not possible to change types, but I believe Jung said it is possible, so I'm not sure what to go by. What do you guys think?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It seems to be the eternal debate in type circles.

Forer effect and confirmation bias certainly seem to play roles in how people act and, on certain levels, think upon attaining personality test results.

If we assume that MBTI/Socionics/Keirsey types are tied to our brain wiring, than I'd say no, our types cannot change unless our brain wiring changes drastically.

Jungian based theory makes some room for perceived changes in our personality types, because the idea that the lesser functions play a greater role in later stages of life might indicate that varying aspects and of our personalities could become more prominent as we age.

I believe Nardi pointed out that he saw a greater similarity between INFJs and ISTPs in middle age, for instance.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think one's type might change if they experience trauma. Or then again, maybe they'd just be the same type, but that type "under trauma" making them almost impossible to accurately type.

I think as we grow older, and our functions begin to balance out, we may start thinking that we are a different type than we really are. I don't think people really change type though. Whenever I see someone who's like "I used to be an ENFP and now I'm an ISFP" I'm like--yeah, right. You were either mistyped before or mistyped now. Maybe both.

Enneagram influence probably has a lot to do with it. And integration and disintegration may make one appear to be a different type, perhaps?

Of course, we also have to remember just how much variation there is in type as well. 16 types, 7 billion people, and all that.

I reread my high school journal recently. I would have undoubtedly typed myself as an INFP back then if I knew about MBTI. But was I really an INFP? No. I was still an ISFJ, just a really pessimistic and unhappy one who'd been going through a lot of emotional times. I would have definitely pegged myself as an Fi type because of how shitty Fe descriptions are, and probably a N because I think I would have sold into the "S means Stupid" bias back then.

I don't think my type has ever changed. I think I have grown and developed as a person, for both good and bad, and that that has influenced how I behave. But that I have always, at my core, been the same type.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
There is also an unlikely or even impossible reason: maybe I changed types as a result of emotional trauma. I've heard that it's not possible to change types, but I believe Jung said it is possible, so I'm not sure what to go by. What do you guys think?

The idea that type can't change is idea that is made and suppoted by people who live in stabile countries/environments, where there are never radical changes. (what keeps their type in place)

But if there is any trully major changes in your environment as well as traumas it is possible that a letter or two could change as the result of that.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
In theory, it shouldn't change, because your personality is for the most part not environmentally determined.

However in practice, people who misunderstand the theory or who can't assess themselves honestly (due to depression, trauma, etc) mistype. If your self-typings have changed, it will be for one of these reasons. You only have one true type; it's a matter of figuring out what that is.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Bumping this thread rather than making a new one.

I believe that MBTI can and does change, albeit most likely gradually over time, and the idea of people having an innate, fixed personality type is a large source of the problems with Typology theory.

My reason is basically that there is no real reason that I know of to suppose otherwise, i.e. that it is fixed, and having personal encountered unhelpful effects from supposing that type is fixed.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
While I don't think it is changeable according to the theory's tenants, I would looooove that if it were true.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
While I don't think it is changeable according to the theory's tenants, I would looooove that if it were true.

Why would you love it and why do you not think it's true?