123 Last

Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    974 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Default Se as potentially "scary"? (For those that aren't Se doms or in their aux position)

If I just try hard enough, ok, actually really hard, I feel I can experience Se, basically, removing all attachment and preconceived notions about an environment or object, and experiencing it as a blog of shapes, detail, and color and not as a collective whole that has some deeper significance. I realize this may just be what I understand Se to be, but nonetheless, this experience has the potential to make for a very unsettling experience.

The only way for me to achieve this nirvana of pure unadulterated objectification is when I enter a completely new environment, or sometimes, I can sit in front of something, literally staring at it, and somehow magically see it for what it is, but that's just pure witchcraft there, and I can't do it for every object. So for example, I noticed that when I went into the interview for my current job, the office, the people, the whole experience, was my version of "Se". The reason I say this, is because when I see these same people and same environment, after having worked there for just over a month now, has a very distinct feel in relation to that initial experience. This isn't tapping on initial impressions either, that's a feeling altogether different for me. But I recognize this first encounter, as having a totally unique flavor to how I interact and feel about an environment once it has been incorporated into my realm of understanding. Is this objective experience terrifying for me? Probably the wrong word to use, but it can be unsettling if thrown into situations like that for too long. If I can't retreat back into something familiar, get back to people I know, or just any other comfort zone, then it'll tire me out physically and mentally. Now, it's not like every new situation feels this jarring, but I think if I let it, it can. People go into new environments all the time without trouble, and without shaking up their world, but I think it's when other anxieties and stresses come into play, such as an interview, where such experiences are exacerbated and I can't just "ignore" the experience and process it later (which is the mode I usually go about things) Se/Ne eh, tricky waters there since they're both very exploratative in nature.

So I'm curious, when used by those that have Se as a function so low in their stack it's like coming across a doppelganger of a family member (awkward and gross yet familiar), can it be so foreign to you where it's almost "scary" or unsettling??

Because Se is so foreign to me and can be unsettling, I give Se doms mad props for being able to wield its strength and verboseness.
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

~Always, an Enthusiastic_Dreamer
    Likes Masokissed liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiastic_Dreamer View Post
    If I just try hard enough, ok, actually really hard, I feel I can experience Se, basically, removing all attachment and preconceived notions about an environment or object, and experiencing it as a blog of shapes, detail, and color and not as a collective whole that has some deeper significance. I realize this may just be what I understand Se to be, but nonetheless, this experience has the potential to make for a very unsettling experience.

The only way for me to achieve this nirvana of pure unadulterated objectification is when I enter a completely new environment, or sometimes, I can sit in front of something, literally staring at it, and somehow magically see it for what it is, but that's just pure witchcraft there, and I can't do it for every object. So for example, I noticed that when I went into the interview for my current job, the office, the people, the whole experience, was my version of "Se". The reason I say this, is because when I see these same people and same environment, after having worked there for just over a month now, has a very distinct feel in relation to that initial experience. This isn't tapping on initial impressions either, that's a feeling altogether different for me. But I recognize this first encounter, as having a totally unique flavor to how I interact and feel about an environment once it has been incorporated into my realm of understanding. Is this objective experience terrifying for me? Probably the wrong word to use, but it can be unsettling if thrown into situations like that for too long. If I can't retreat back into something familiar, get back to people I know, or just any other comfort zone, then it'll tire me out physically and mentally. Now, it's not like every new situation feels this jarring, but I think if I let it, it can. People go into new environments all the time without trouble, and without shaking up their world, but I think it's when other anxieties and stresses come into play, such as an interview, where such experiences are exacerbated and I can't just "ignore" the experience and process it later (which is the mode I usually go about things) Se/Ne eh, tricky waters there since they're both very exploratative in nature.

So I'm curious, when used by those that have Se as a function so low in their stack it's like coming across a doppelganger of a family member (awkward and gross yet familiar), can it be so foreign to you where it's almost "scary" or unsettling??

Because Se is so foreign to me and can be unsettling, I give Se doms mad props for being able to wield its strength and verboseness.
    Well just to be clear, even Se users are going to accumulate more data with time, and add to their current knowledge and perception, so using your interview example, they may get a sense of things - a fairly accurate sense - in that initial viewing, but three months later they will have more data, will have a more complete understanding of the nature of things. So maybe initially, they'll have a 70% read, and 3 months later it'll be 85%, two years in it will be 95%, etc.

Se isn't a blank vacuum, ones' 'read' of a situation is only going to be as accurate as past experiences and knowledge of that area -- so while any Se user will perceive the obvious sensory stuff, the things in front of you and observing what's happening, previous experience will help the Se user KNOW what to pay attention to. And Se isn't just 'oh the chair is red', it can take in all of the complex details as well, so will incorporate body language, knowledge of alliances, any other such stuff that factors into the 'reality' of the thing. So say an Se user who's never worked in an office building, no knowledge of office politics or nuances or whatnot, they're not going to have as good an ability to 'read' the situation as an Se user who has 'been there done that'. Sure, both have the ability to pick up on things and quickly adapt to the moment, are taking in exactly what's happening, but the latter will have an edge.

Just my own take on it.

------

But yeah I think anything we don't really prefer, or like, is going to be 'scary', irritating, stressful, or a nuisance for us.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    Likes miss fortune, Masokissed, Dreamer liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

Well I have devil Si and almost about anything stresses me out lol.

I mean with inferior Se I can sort of relate. Things will just be elusive, it'll just be vague. Super detailed photos if i am particularly stressed will just kill me. I mean it's kind of hard to explain, like nothing is actually blurring or disappearing it's just that my mind loses focus on it all.
    Likes Officer Ed Powell liked this post

Se is the shit! I love Se! It's so much fun and with just a bit of grounding it gets shit DONE. I make fairly good use of it, but I didn't really start to get it down until I was 21 (I am 26), largely because it's my tert function.

Se does come across as intimidating to many, but that's because it's methods involve throwing weight around, and it often seems careless. It can be in an undeveloped person, but good Se-doms have a finesse behind it. To the untrained eye the finesse won't be seen, because to the user there is no point in showing the finesse unless required.
    It is our duty to create meaning.

If only it were that simple.
    Likes Dreamer liked this post

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

ummm... I rarely notice important things like if my clothes are backwards or inside out or if my shoes match one another (my socks almost NEVER match one another because I find that detail unimportant)

I am, however, pretty decent at realizing what data exists that I can see and what I can do with that... and also visualize what changes may do to that at which I am looking (as an example with filling a truck with things... I know that a truck can hold a certain number of cartons and what rate the work is coming in at by watching how the flow is coming down the conveyor and based on what I know is happening in other departments up the line and what's happening in the world at large, so I can tell you pretty quickly how things will fit in the truck in a few hours time based on the data I know and the data I see as well... though that's probably tinged by Ti too). Se isn't all about noticing every detail or living a thrilling life... it's about being able to work with the tangible things in one's environment... and you never get a function as a stand alone thing... the example I used above involved a lot of Ti and a good dose of Ni prediction as well

Se is also the ability to lose yourself in a moment and just experience the world through your senses, but that only happens rarely... like an autumn night sitting in the hot tub alone or driving with the windows down, the music turned up and the wind in your hair... not an every day or even every week occurrence, but when it does happen it is AWESOME

Se isn't scary... it's like the ideas of Ne as far as its usage goes... it merely is good at working with things that can be seen instead of things that cannot...
    “The phrase 'Someone ought to do something' was not, by itself, a helpful one. People who used it never added the rider 'and that someone is me'.” - Terry Pratchett

Se perceives; it doesn't kick anyone's ass.
    Real jaguars wear masks.
    Likes cascadeco liked this post

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Se perceives; it doesn't kick anyone's ass.
    true... it's ME who kicks people's asses
    “The phrase 'Someone ought to do something' was not, by itself, a helpful one. People who used it never added the rider 'and that someone is me'.” - Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    STP

SE allows us to kick ass, so does a black belt
    Im out, its been fun
    Likes miss fortune, Masokissed, Dreamer liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    TRSH None

I like the way I think but I'd probably benefit from an upgrade to my Se and Fe software.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Se doesn't give a shit about the color of a chair. I don't pay attention to that. I pay attention to eye popping things, like a cool person or a bedroom if it's decorated really really good but not chairs. Se is taking it all in, not focusing on the details of a chair; that's Si. Se is thinking things it can do and Ni thinks of what could happen. So if you aren't careful you can mix it up with Ne-Si, like I did. I've worked a lot on my Ni and I'm good at predicting things and seeing through something in a snap.

Se is like the pop of a bottle cap and all the fizzy drink exploding out and Ne is like an air vent that's always blasting but has an adjustable flow (Si). Ni likes to keep my bottle cold and pop it (Se) at the right time (Ni).

Se is doing something and getting the satisfaction of doing it.
    I want my cake and I wanna eat it too
    Likes Dreamer, ChocolateMoose123, Yama liked this post