• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

insight Ni Ne

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Would insight be associated with Ni, Ne or can it be both?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Not sure what you specifically mean by "insight", but all types experience it.

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Not sure what you specifically mean by "insight", but all types experience it.

I mean the ability to gain an inner understanding of something without it being right in front of you.

According to Wiki:

Insight can be used with several related meanings:

* a piece of information
* the act or result of apprehending the inner nature of things or of seeing intuitively
* the power of acute observation and deduction, penetration,discernment, perception
* introspection

An insight that manifests itself suddenly, such as understanding how to solve a difficult problem, is called with a German word Aha-Erlebnis. The term was coined by the German psychologist and theoretical linguist Karl Bühler. It is also known as an epiphany.

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
...but all types experience it.

I mean in reference to it being an repeated quality to the personality. Such as being able to always read between the lines and see the hidden meaning behind all situations.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All types of people still experience those things.

The basic thing I guess you can say is that Sensors tend to pay attention first to the actual facts at hand, while iNtuitives usually focus first on the implications suggested by those facts. "Insight" like you describe it here tend to be more related to the latter.

redacted

both Ni and Ne. all types experience this because all types use either Ni or Ne. this IS an intuition thing, to be clear.

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
alright. if insight is the wrong word to differentiate the two, is the a word to define each one?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been told that 'epiphanies' are more of an Ni thing, especially if it's related to a solution to a problem or a single person or thing.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I mean the ability to gain an inner understanding of something without it being right in front of you.

According to Wiki:

* a piece of information
* the act or result of apprehending the inner nature of things or of seeing intuitively
* the power of acute observation and deduction, penetration,discernment, perception
* introspection

An insight that manifests itself suddenly, such as understanding how to solve a difficult problem, is called with a German word Aha-Erlebnis. The term was coined by the German psychologist and theoretical linguist Karl Bühler. It is also known as an epiphany.
All types of people still experience those things.

The basic thing I guess you can say is that Sensors tend to pay attention first to the actual facts at hand, while iNtuitives usually focus first on the implications suggested by those facts. "Insight" like you describe it here tend to be more related to the latter.
Jennifer is correct in that how you connote “insight” is not exclusive for intuitive types. Just read some descriptions of ESTP in their ability to immediately size up a matter, wherein it looks as though they have taken in little. They completely get the gist of a matter within fractions of the time it takes others. This is indicative of when they walk into a room and immediately notice the vibe. Based on that, it would seem that Ne and Se types will do it before other extraverts and since introverted types are usually engrossed in their own little worlds, they can be oblivious to what is going on externally. So, yes to Ne definitely no to Ni.

redacted

alright. if insight is the wrong word to differentiate the two, is the a word to define each one?

Ni and Ne can be thought of as inference or metaphor or the first step of induction or hypothesizing. the difference between Ni and Ne is analogous to depth of concepts vs. breadth of concepts. in one snapshot of time, they may serve the same purpose, but over time, Ni will continue focusing on one specific idea whereas Ne will respond to new data as it becomes available.

ygolo

My termites win

For me, when I have insights they seem incredibly obvious, like they were right in front of me the whole time.

According to Wiki:

I think the different meanings could be associated with different things.
* a piece of information
If found, Se, if remembered Si.
Seems like a mix of Si and Ni.
Any of the extroverted functions at their best.
* introspection
Any introverted function, but according to Keirsey, being introspective is synonymous with N.

I usually associate this with Ni, but Ni is my "discovery" function. Perhaps it is the result of using Discovery?