• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Difference between SFP and NFP art

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah really i'm not sure. My mother is likely an ENFP artist and she says she is more of a colourist than an artist. She also paints fantasy art... spaceships and fairies and mystical creatures that she makes up, she also wrote a story or two, one about a green wizard and all sorts of interesting magical beasts-she illustrated her own book. Honestly I think her art is amazing. But i'll admit a slight bias.:smile:

I could add a pic of one of her paintings if you like?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love using color.

I'm really hesitant to generalize on differences, in terms of both style and themes, as I think it's really going to depend on the fp's aesthetics as well as interests. I mean, I'm sure there are sfp artists who draw on fantasy themes, and nfp artists who stick to more realistic things. I don't know if there's truth in N artists tending towards using more metaphor, hidden meaning, etc, or not.

For me though, I stick to things I care about and draw inspiration from things I've seen and experienced.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an INFP who does a performance art. I've heard that's more an SFP thing. I have no idea about the types of the people I go to school with or have worked with because I'm really bad at typing people in real life.

PikUpYourPantsPatrol

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah really i'm not sure. My mother is likely an ENFP artist and she says she is more of a colourist than an artist. She also paints fantasy art... spaceships and fairies and mystical creatures that she makes up, she also wrote a story or two, one about a green wizard and all sorts of interesting magical beasts-she illustrated her own book. Honestly I think her art is amazing. But i'll admit a slight bias.:smile:

I could add a pic of one of her paintings if you like?

Sure, show me

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sure, show me

Ok a couple of examples...

one of her walls with some of her paintings... it highlights that she also paints her surroundings in a type of fantasy theme... notice the walls themselves... she has always lived in a semi fantasy world. Some of the paintings are in a realm close to reality... but even those seem very dream like & floaty

0FHbqdR.jpg

A large painting through her Native American phase...she very much immersed herself in this world, traveling to the states to meet with various tribe descendants which drew her closer into it

dvfAdnO.jpg

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Possibly SFP art can be incredibly abstract as can NFP art however usually there is some basis in reality for SFP art whereas NFP art is usually non reality based or taken from reality and morphed into fantasy... Just an idea....

Thinkign about Cascadeco's beautiful art and also other famous SFP artists who have abstract colours and abstractions from reality like maybe one of my all time favourite artists Van Gogh who is typed as SFP.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've been recently to the modern art museum here in Oslo and...I was struck by the amount of artists that are actually fascinated by the medium of their art. And...Id wager that those are mostly SFPs. They really get mesmerised by the physical experience and opportunities and limitations of the material they're working with, always trying to push the boundaries and ideas for working with their preferred medium, by testing the crap out of it.

There was one piece where they played with the fragility of baked clay and stacked it in such a way that it actually became stronger than wood.

One of them had made the same art piece 6 times over but baked it in the oven each time for a different length of time. So you could see the progress from 'raw' to the last piece being almost melted to the floor.

And one of em had recreated the feel and look of the inside of the human body (on a cellular level) when cut in half with rolls of red fabric, using different textures, colours and accents to really mimic everything.

If you compare that with the pieces that [MENTION=9160]HelenOfTroy[/MENTION] made, and the difference becomes perhaps a bit more...clear?

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been recently to the modern art museum here in Oslo and...I was struck by the amount of artists that are actually fascinated by the medium of their art. And...Id wager that those are mostly SFPs. They really get mesmerised by the physical experience and opportunities and limitations of the material they're working with, always trying to push the boundaries and ideas for working with their preferred medium, by testing the crap out of it.

There was one piece where they played with the fragility of baked clay and stacked it in such a way that it actually became stronger than wood.

One of them had made the same art piece 6 times over but baked it in the oven each time for a different length of time. So you could see the progress from 'raw' to the last piece being almost melted to the floor.

And one of em had recreated the feel and look of the inside of the human body (on a cellular level) when cut in half with rolls of red fabric, using different textures, colours and accents to really mimic everything.

If you compare that with the pieces that [MENTION=9160]HelenOfTroy[/MENTION] made, and the difference becomes perhaps a bit more...clear?

Yes good points, I notice that the level of detail in the mediums impression seem to be much higher in Van Gogh's art too, he made a huge effort in creating immersion using the brush strokes for which he is so famous, I think Cascadeco has a similar thread in the use of watercolour and the mixture of colour with water and the materialisation of the mediums. Maybe SFP art wants you to see and feel the art and the mediums used whereas NFP art wants you to look inside the painting and find the meanings and wonder about the stories.

Err, I hasten to add though, that the paintings are my mothers and not mine... I can not paint for toffee myself, I am creative in other ways and probably more practical:smile: Like the way I created my own multifunctional room design... which I have yet to finish with space theme of planets and star systems and maybe mystical creatures :wubbie:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:smile: Sorry, I meant to type 'added' instead of 'made' - no clue how that happened :D

And I'm the same way - I make jewellery and call it 'creative', lol.

Also, I agree with your last sentence on SFPs wanting you to really feel and experience the art, whereas NFPs are likely to want to tell a story with theirs.

I know that with my jewellery, I don't go for what the materials tells me, it's more what 'ambiance' they invoke, what era (si!) and how I can put a spin on a stereotype or invoke a certain feeling that for instance Nature invokes in me (I have several inspired by the nostalgic feel of a winter landscape, for instance). I'll also play around with archetypes and merge two of them together to get a new, unique piece that exudes both (for instance Gypsy+Courtesan or Modern Minimalist+Traditional Matron)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I want to add confirmation that I really relate to what's being said about seeing and experiencing the art for what it is / the medium. It is true that I'm not really trying to tell a story with my art, I mean I greatly value and want to capture the subject matter in the aesthetic way that I am drawn to, but I'm not aiming to express a concept or story. I also very much relate to what [MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION] wrote re really caring about and exploring the medium itself. That is one of my main focuses, actually, and something I am always aiming to learn more about and explore. I think it'll take a lifetime. It's also why I haven't jumped into other mediums, I feel watercolor alone has so much still that I don't grasp yet.
[MENTION=9160]HelenOfTroy[/MENTION] - Thank you. :)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Possibly SFP art can be incredibly abstract as can NFP art however usually there is some basis in reality for SFP art whereas NFP art is usually non reality based or taken from reality and morphed into fantasy... Just an idea....

Thinkign about Cascadeco's beautiful art and also other famous SFP artists who have abstract colours and abstractions from reality like maybe one of my all time favourite artists Van Gogh who is typed as SFP.

I think Van Gogh is INFP. I thought ISFP until I read his writings. He had wanted to be a missionary but failed at it and then decided to glorify God by painting stuff which would make people look at God's creation with new, appreciative eyes.

To me his motive slants towards INFP, as does lots of other stuff he talks about.

----

I don't know if you can look at the art itself and see a type.
I am not really an "artist", but I drawn and pretty much always have. I personally dislike most fantasy, although it is not like I would purposely avoid it. I feel stifled or contrived to have too much concept ahead of time too.
I pretty much have a general image in my head, maybe inspired by something I have seen for the structural aspects, and it vaguely feels attached to some feeling that is not so readily expressed in everyday language. It is very visceral and often can be boiled down to "I just like it" or "I just feel like it". I guess what I like about drawing and painting and any artistic expression is precisely that I can go from feeling to output with no reasoning or analyzing inbetween.

The idea that ISFPs are really into their materials and pushing the boundaries of their usage is interesting, and I think that may be onto something. As an INFP, the material means little. I too enjoy experimentation with a process, but I think the boundaries I am seeking to push are emotional - how well I can articulate a feeling so as to stimulate it in others. Perhaps it is just to give it a life, so that it is validated by existence outside of me. I wouldn't claim this is exclusive to INFPs though.

There is the aspect of Si for an INFP, in which there is an interest in amping up the subjective aspects, so as to make it a highly personal rendering (as opposed to photographic), and I think the impressionism and expressionism movements were a bit more INFP because of it. I think ISFPs can get really abstract because of Ni. Pollock is a great example to me, how he embodied feelings in these dashes of color. Other times, ISFPs can get super detailed and photographic. But I definitely wouldn't say they are less conceptual or abstract or that INFPs cannot get really detailed as romantic notions motivate them to excessive embellishment or overcomplicating it.

I feel like both IxFPs will be coming from Fi primarily. I think IxFP art may be more similar than grouping it as SFP or NFP. I think we are looking at Pe va Fi here. I think Fi is primarily concerned with embodying feeling and using any means neccessary. I think Pe types explore methods or concepts and use Feeling as a motivator or to give meaning to the process.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
SFP use Se and Ni. NFP use Ne and Si.

If I NFP were going to a coming of age story being 18 years old, they would focus on Ne and Si. Ne makes interconnection to other context. Ne might start sentence what this means, as if... NFP will focus on the interconnection of situation. NFP will have more of a philosophical adventure. Si recalls past experience. They might just reflect on their past experience through Si about being 14 years old.

SFP use Se and Ni. If SFP were in a forest, they focus on acute awareness of the present surroundings of the forest using Se. Se is pretty much what's right in front of you. SFP will use Ni will focus on implication of events. SFP will judge the outcome of events.

The main difference is there function which makes them different. If they will have a coming of age story about being 18 years old, they will have completely different perspective. NFP will have a philosophical adventure and have nostalgia due to recalling past experience. SFP will have awareness of the present surroundings Se. SFP will be concerned with implication of events. It almost appears like they're long ranged planners like they're the mastermind INTJ.

If a person breaks down the function and start to analysis them, you'll see that SFP and NFP are not that alike at all.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think Van Gogh is INFP. I thought ISFP until I read his writings. He had wanted to be a missionary but failed at it and then decided to glorify God by painting stuff which would make people look at God's creation with new, appreciative eyes.

To me his motive slants towards INFP, as does lots of other stuff he talks about.

----

I don't know if you can look at the art itself and see a type.
I am not really an "artist", but I drawn and pretty much always have. I personally dislike most fantasy, although it is not like I would purposely avoid it. I feel stifled or contrived to have too much concept ahead of time too.
I pretty much have a general image in my head, maybe inspired by something I have seen for the structural aspects, and it vaguely feels attached to some feeling that is not so readily expressed in everyday language. It is very visceral and often can be boiled down to "I just like it" or "I just feel like it". I guess what I like about drawing and painting and any artistic expression is precisely that I can go from feeling to output with no reasoning or analyzing inbetween.

The idea that ISFPs are really into their materials and pushing the boundaries of their usage is interesting, and I think that may be onto something. As an INFP, the material means little. I too enjoy experimentation with a process, but I think the boundaries I am seeking to push are emotional - how well I can articulate a feeling so as to stimulate it in others. Perhaps it is just to give it a life, so that it is validated by existence outside of me. I wouldn't claim this is exclusive to INFPs though.

There is the aspect of Si for an INFP, in which there is an interest in amping up the subjective aspects, so as to make it a highly personal rendering (as opposed to photographic), and I think the impressionism and expressionism movements were a bit more INFP because of it. I think ISFPs can get really abstract because of Ni. Pollock is a great example to me, how he embodied feelings in these dashes of color. Other times, ISFPs can get super detailed and photographic. But I definitely wouldn't say they are less conceptual or abstract or that INFPs cannot get really detailed as romantic notions motivate them to excessive embellishment or overcomplicating it.

I feel like both IxFPs will be coming from Fi primarily. I think IxFP art may be more similar than grouping it as SFP or NFP. I think we are looking at Pe va Fi here. I think Fi is primarily concerned with embodying feeling and using any means neccessary. I think Pe types explore methods or concepts and use Feeling as a motivator or to give meaning to the process.

I had thought INFP until I looked into his writings, especially his letters to his family, which screamed ISFP to me when I read them

The letters by correspondent - Vincent van Gogh Letters

:smile: haha, how odd that we went on opposite journeys. Clearly we agree on his being a fi dom.

Oh also I have noticed that there is a commonality in some INFP's to appreciate the visceral, the raw... like an exaggeration of Se, but it seems to be an appreciation rather than an active taking part in. Just my obs of course.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I pretty much have a general image in my headmaybe inspired by something I have seen for the structural aspects, and it vaguely feels attached to some feeling that is not so readily expressed in everyday language.

As an INFP, the material means little. I too enjoy experimentation with a process, but I think the boundaries I am seeking to push are emotional - how well I can articulate a feeling so as to stimulate it in others.

This resonates with me. Usually I have a picture or idea in my mind I would love to create in reality. My preferred methods are (1)artistic/experimental photography and (2)collages, where I tend to focus on certain effects and atmospheres. I'm influenced by surrealism in my photos and I can embrace abstract ways with my collages as well. I also paint and draw but more as an occasional hobby I use to relax (more fluidity) where as photography I use as an extension of my self - inner feelings, desires, personal interests, etc. Emotional connection is extremely important in the art I create.