User Tag List

MBTI
    INF
    Enneagram

Default Utilitarianism and the MBTI

I noticed the other day how the moral theory of Utilitarianism can be made to line up with the 16 types as per MBTI. I'm not necessarily saying that this accurately captures the types, and besides there are multiple interpretations to what each dichotomy means. This is just a fun little connection.

I will point out that someone I spoke to a few years ago basically made this theory (or at the very least provided some of the key ideas which I am using and which led to me seeing that there was a connection at all) I have just modified it somewhat to fit with my usual theory of morality. So I will start by describing how Utilitarianism works in my view, and then how it could line up with the types.

So, the theory goes as follows: the primary goal of our behaviour is in the maximisation and minimisation of pleasure, and it is intended that this be optimised across all effects of the decision, both to the person undertaking the behaviour, to other people (and beyond - animals, plants, and inanimate matter count too), and that this is to be measured across all present and future times, as conditions allow.

Now, this optimisation of the pain/pleasure balance consists of four factors, two positive and two negative, as follows:
    + to produce more pleasure
    + to reduce levels of pain
    - to prevent the reduction of pleasure
    - to prevent the increase of pain

It is to be measure across four basic areas that may be effected, namely present/future and self/others, so we have:
    - how the self is effected at the time (the experience as it is experienced)
    - how others are effected at the time
    - how the self will be effected in the future
    - how others will be effected in the future

Because the present here and now is where experiences take place, it has a privileged position, however we consider all that may be effected by the action, to unite experiences.

So, we may line it up with the MBTI as follows:

Sensing is the consideration of the present.
    Intuition is the consideration of the future.
    Thinking is the consideration of the self.
    Feeling is the consideration of others.
    Extroversion is directing energy to change the environment (positive).
    Introversion is withdrawing energy to prevent changes to the environment (negative).

This next one though, I am less sure of, so it is tentative:

P types focus on maximising pleasure.
    J types focus on minimising pain.

So, we may combine the four factors to produce each of the 16 variables used in the calculation of the optimal action at any moment, for example,
    - increasing the experience of pleasure for yourself in the present (ESTP)
    - preventing the increase of pain for others in the future (INFJ)

And so on.

This idea could be explored further in many possible ways, so let me know what you think, both of the merits of this idea, and any extensions and applications (and corrections/clarifications, if need be) you may think of.

Thank you for reading,

Legion
    somebody has to be the sacrificial lamb

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Well, I sure feel like expending energy to improve my own situation, both in maximizing pleasure and in minimizing pain. So it fits pretty well. I'm pretty borderline in J/P, I might as well be an ENTP with strong appreciation of J, or ENTJ with appreciation of flexibility.

It's usual for personality descriptions to evoke a feeling of "fitting well", usually to a score of 4 on a scale of 1 to 5, so this alone doesn't prove much.

On the topic of self-sacrifice, serving others and concentrating on self, I'm a strong T with much emphasis on serving myself. On the other hand, my T actions actually do serve others. I don't have such a big desire to serve others personally, but I've enjoyed it sometimes, and I create systems which do genuinely help others. I value myself in no small part because the systems I create are so helpful. These systems help people and I'm happy for it. And I'm happy that I'm able to help others via systems instead of helping them directly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INF
    Enneagram

Now, this optimisation of the pain/pleasure balance consists of four factors, two positive and two negative, as follows:
    + to produce more pleasure
    + to reduce levels of pain
    - to prevent the reduction of pleasure
    - to prevent the increase of pain
    LOL its the creat0r and destr0yer g0dz

they could be yin yang with the other on their shoulder, or the pres3rv4t10n g0d 2 he1p d3m lol

notice experience is here and now but something else exists and drives your outer layer? kool
    somebody has to be the sacrificial lamb

Permabanned
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

wat
    Likes /DG/ liked this post

MBTI
    INF