• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Confusing the Functions

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
This is kind of just an observation, throwing out ideas, sort of thread. Not sure if the idea has grounds for it's own thread or if I should have just posted in the random thought thread about this.

ANYWAYS, to the point!

I think what the recent function threads have revealed to me, or so I think, is that many people on the forum actually have little understanding of what the functions are, or are confusing them with other functions. I'm not proclaiming myself as some function expert, ya right! But I don't fault anyone or label anyone lazy, ignorant, whatever. I mean, I feel it's near impossible for anyone to truly tap into the individual functions and describe each and every one, since how they work, isn't actually in some vacuum, but posses the flavors of the other functions in play. An ENFP's view of Ne may feel different for them, than how an ENTP views Ne for example.

Thinking of my own situation, what I also appreciated about those threads, other than gaining further incite into the functions, especially those that I supposedly do not have, and I say "supposedly", because I'm opening myself to possible other typings. Perhaps, in the end, it will just cement my current typing further, but maybe I'll find another fit. This isn't a "type me" thread, but sure, what the hell, offer up any types or functions you see in me if you wish. But I bring this thread up partially because I feel some functions and how someone views that function, may in reality, be a different function at play, but shadowed with the flavor or another function. A fair number of members are confused over Fi and Fe for one, and I admit, emotions aren't an easy thing to process.

But I'm starting to ramble. Anyone have any thoughts about this? I guess the point I'm horribly trying to get at, is that I feel part of the reason so many seem to confuse the functions is precisely because they don't actually work in a vacuum, and yet we like to label functions, almost as if they are singular entities.

To me, functions interact in a sort of "venn diagram" way rather than being able to understand them in such clearly defined roles. They each carry their own nuances, and overlap each other. That overlap, is what confuses people and causes that grey area.

So ya, this probably should have just gone into my blog or something, but I am curious if anyone has also made similar observations or have thoughts about the functions and the general understanding of them.

VagrantFarce

The functions are purely descriptive, and aren't really something you can quantify or measure (especially the introverted ones). So everything you read is going to be second-hand and unverifiable by default. This is where a lot of the confusion comes from - it's too easy to pollute all of this with your own horse-shit.

For me, that's part of the fun - I quite like having to decipher things and put things together for myself, and then offer it as kibble for anyone else who wants to do the same. I don't see any of this as purely scientific - but that doesn't stop it from being illustrative.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ya, I definitely don't equate this to any scientific "truth" or reality, and I agree, especially the introverted functions, being so personal are near impossible to come to a consensus. It must be the labels and people wanting to put others and their experiences in nice boxes that encourages a desire to flesh out concretely what each function is, rather than accepting them as flexible understandings of something greater and ethereal. This is, at least, my acceptance of the functions and therefore do not stress myself over defining them so absolutely as some others may prefer.