• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What the Fe?!

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A

I know, excuse the lame thread title.

Anyway, I think I've gained a new understanding about something, about a quote from Jung "'But I can't think what I don't feel'".

This quote is taken directly from his description of extroverted feeling. The meaning of it has finally sunk in, and I shall give you an everyday taste of what he meant in this next quote:

I have A LOT of Fi. Like I said before, I'm an IMMENSELY emotional person and whenever I learn new information or discover a new idea or theory, I internalize it and find some way to relate it back to myself and my core values. Anything that happens in my surroundings feels like it has everything to do with me (which makes me a really selfish person also because I feel like the world revolves around me). I'm very sensitive when it comes to my own feelings (not as much others - but I still have more sensitivity with others feelings than most people) - I take people's words to heart. I'm very sensitive to the things that happen to me - they completely shape my perception and values for the world and myself.

To the user I took this from, I am sorry. But I don't care. This is a pretty good example of Jung's statement about Fe.

Extroverted Feelers don't realize much that they take in external data and shape it into their "liking." Feeling is already subjective in a way (doesn't matter it Fi or Fe), so that is probably why feelers in general enjoy thinking about their "core values". However, it is the extroverted feeler that "manipulates" the external information to fit what they believe so they can use their introverted thinking function to process it.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
How would the Fi user react to external information, then?

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
How would the Fi user react to external information, then?

Well, I could be wrong, since I am not an Fi-type, but if I look at my sister who uses Fi in some fashion then I'd say that Fi appears rather passionless in an IxFP. Like, I know they have opinions/feelings/thoughts ...but when I ask them about it... it appears to lack conviction. Of course, they are doing the same thing an Fe user is doing... thinking about it and deciding if they like it/forming opinions. However, rarely is it voiced, because it's such an unconscious process. Things that are unconscious have a harder time expressing/getting itself understood (I think that's the nature of introversion in general). And it's not that Fi people are shy/scared or "worried about what people will think" or anything like that.

And when I say immediate ...I don't mean that Fe are jumping out of their pants to state exactly what they feel every single second. That's just cray lol. And it's not that Fi people never express anything. That is also cray. Both can come to the same conclusions, though. ...so I guess it's more of a matter of how feeling works (aka the difference between Fe and Fi).

I still have more thinking to do about it, as I am too tired/need to go to sleep, but an INFP member here stated that she found even an INFJ to be too "intense". ...which wrongly get's tied to introverted feelers. Not that Fi people are not passionate and only Fe is ...that's wrong to say. Fe, I'd say, is more "impactful" and lets things impact them (hence the typical "sensitive" nature of some Fe people).

I mean, Fi doesn't want to manipulate anything external ...it isn't like that, I don't think.

I'll probably come back to say more later... I really needz the sleepz. Also, I'd rather an actual Fi person to step in.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
To the user I took this from, I am sorry. But I don't care. This is a pretty good example of Jung's statement about Fe.

Is it, though? To me, it just sounds like general feeling. Can you elaborate on this a bit more?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Could be Fe? :shrug:

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
Is it, though? To me, it just sounds like general feeling. Can you elaborate on this a bit more?

Well, of course. It is feeling. Feeling, in general, has a personal nature to it... so that's why those who are extroverted feelers can still think they use Fi. Extroverted feelers do sort of see the world through rose-tinted glasses (and I don't mean that it sees everything has happy and lovely and ooegy-gooey sparkly). They look at the world through their own framework.

It's just that the "intensity of emotion" get wrongly tied to Fi ONLY. Just because you see someone being sensitive, that alone is not enough to say someone is Fi or Fe. However, the quote where the feeler 'takes in information' and ties it to his/her values is Fe as it is happiest when it's interacting with the external world.

Duffy

Well, I could be wrong, since I am not an Fi-type, but if I look at my sister who uses Fi in some fashion then I'd say that Fi appears rather passionless in an IxFP. Like, I know they have opinions/feelings/thoughts ...but when I ask them about it... it appears to lack conviction. Of course, they are doing the same thing an Fe user is doing... thinking about it and deciding if they like it/forming opinions. However, rarely is it voiced, because it's such an unconscious process. Things that are unconscious have a harder time expressing/getting itself understood (I think that's the nature of introversion in general). And it's not that Fi people are shy/scared or "worried about what people will think" or anything like that.

I think what you're describing here is the case of e9 more than anything. I also think Fi people can be shy and worried of what others think, but how they respond may be what distinguishes them.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
I think what you're describing here is the case of e9 more than anything. I also think Fi people can be shy and worried of what others think, but how they respond may be what distinguishes them.

Well, E9s, E4s, E5s, some E6s, some E1s and some E3s also can not be expressive ..but it may not be because they are shy. That's why being shy or 'what will people think' is NOT reason to identify anyone as Fe or Fi.

So I don't want people reading what I wrote and having them think that I think that Fi users are not expressive because the reason is that they are shy or worriers. That's why I put it there. It's about feeling being hidden from consciousness, as Jung put it.