• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How would you describe the balance of your auxiliary and tertiary functions?

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The auxiliary and the tertiary functions have this balance that the dominant and inferior don't seem to have. At least not consciously. So I'm curious to hear how the balance between your auxiliary and tertiary function affects you in life. Do you think it makes you a more "developed" person? Is there even a balance?

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Super balanced. Most people IRL think I'm a "thinker" type. I'm an ESFP btw. I'm at the right age for tertiary development. I've found I haven't projected Te in years, Ni on the other hand? Yikes. In fact, that's how I know I'm not an ISFP, despite being a shut-in recluse, lol... I'm way too comfortable with Te.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My Si has my Fe tied up and gagged in the basement, but it's a pesky little shit. Even right now it's thrashing about and trying to scream loud enough for Ti or Ne to hear it, but they like to sleep and don't pay much attention, probably don't even notice what Si is doing to it

á´…eparted

passages
My Ni is stronger than my Se, but not by very much. My Ni and Se work together at the same time 90% of the time. One in the absence or diminished presence of the other is kinds useless, or it screws up badly.

I'd say they're balanced in me.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My Inferior is probably stronger than my Tertiary. Fun times.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
My Inferior is probably stronger than my Tertiary. Fun times.

Could you explain how that works? I'm quite curious.

And that, my friend, means that you are probably mistyped as your E/I flip (mirror).

I'm ESFP and mistyped as ISFP for a loooong time because I'm quiet, reserved, home a lot, alone a lot, etc etc, all the stereotypical introvert stuff -- but I lead with Se and am markedly Te >>>> Ni.

What do you think your tertiary and inferior are? We could help you figure out which one is stronger :)

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Could you explain how that works? I'm quite curious.

I prefer Se in my relief position but when I get too stressed out, I either alternate between a Fe-Se loop or Ni-Ti loop. I basically became very socially introverted to help sort out my life through some really difficult times but now I am trying get out of my shell once again.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I prefer Se in my relief position but when I get too stressed out, I either alternate between a Fe-Se loop or Ni-Ti loop. I basically became very socially introverted to help sort out my life through some really difficult times but niw I am trying get out of my shell once again.

So by "strong" do you mean that Ti has more power over you? Or that you "use" it more often?

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And that, my friend, means that you are probably mistyped as your E/I flip (mirror).

I'm ESFP and mistyped as ISFP for a loooong time because I'm quiet, reserved, home a lot, alone a lot, etc etc, all the stereotypical introvert stuff -- but I lead with Se and am markedly Te >>>> Ni.

What do you think your tertiary and inferior are? We could help you figure out which one is stronger :)

My Tertiary is Se and my Inferior is Ti. I tend to idealize Ti and e5 traits (aspirational position) but when it comes down to it, engaging my senses, being in the present moment is what makes me feel good (Se in the relief position). Preference and strength are two different things.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
My Tertiary is Se and my Inferior is Ti. I tend to idealize Ti and e5 traits (aspirational position) but when it comes down to it, engaging my senses, being in the present moment is what makes me feel good (Se in the relief position). Preference and strength are two different things.

Ah, ok, that actually makes sense then. My bad. I tend to see preference and strength as the same, but that is my own personal bias based on my experience of being Te >>> Ni in both preference and strength. I admire strong Ni though, my Ni is truly embarrassingly bad!

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So by "strong" do you mean that Ti has more power over you? Or that you "use" it more often?

Ti has more power over me because there is a regular balancing act between FeNITi to make sense of my thought process. Se basically helps me to confirm/deny the conclusions I have drawn, sets me back into reality.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah, ok, that actually makes sense then. My bad. I tend to see preference and strength as the same, but that is my own personal bias based on my experience of being Te >>> Ni in both preference and strength. I admire strong Ni though, my Ni is truly embarrassingly bad!

I wish my Se was bit more refined.... It mostly shows through how I choose to present my style and a sense of urgency to get stuff done RIGHT NOW (very child-like).

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I tend to talk about emotions and feelings with people in a very logical, categorical type manner. It makes sense to talk about emotions in that way since I do find a sort of "logic" to the fluff, but it must seem weird to others I imagine. Almost seems as though it'd be like talking to a robot over a glass of wine. I can see situations where my Ne/Fi are engaged, or Fi/Te are, but not Ne/Te or Fi/Si for example. Can that happen, theoretically? Or do functions tend to work with the ones they're next to in your stack?

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
I tend to talk about emotions and feelings with people in a very logical, categorical type manner. It makes sense to talk about emotions in that way since I do find a sort of "logic" to the fluff, but it must seem weird to others I imagine. Almost seems as though it'd be like talking to a robot over a glass of wine. I can see situations where my Ne/Fi are engaged, or Fi/Te are, but not Ne/Te or Fi/Si for example. Can that happen, theoretically? Or do functions tend to work with the ones they're next to in your stack?

There is a hypothesized Ne/Te loop in ENFPs (or Te/Ne in ESTJs).

Personally I've seen the Se/Te "get shit done without checking in with my best interests" going on sometimes. :/ (I'm ESFP)

á´…eparted

passages
I don't really buy into the loop thing anymore. In the sense that it's A. common and B. the only sort of "loop" there is. It sort of does a disservice to the complexity and nuance of the cognitive functions.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
I don't really buy into the loop thing anymore. In the sense that it's A. common and B. the only sort of "loop" there is. It sort of does a disservice to the complexity and nuance of the cognitive functions.

So you do not buy into the loop because the loop is ... common? So if it were rare, you would buy into it?

I'm not saying it's pathological; I actually agree that it's common and one of many "normal" modes of operation. For me, the Se/Te "get shit done without checking in with my best interests" is only a problem if it goes on for weeks or months without checking in with Fi. But getting shit done for a few hours at a time without checking in with Fi is absolutely not a concern. I don't think that's pathological at all.

á´…eparted

passages
So you do not buy into the loop because the loop is ... common? So if it were rare, you would buy into it?

I'm not saying it's pathological; I actually agree that it's common and one of many "normal" modes of operation. For me, the Se/Te "get shit done without checking in with my best interests" is only a problem if it goes on for weeks or months without checking in with Fi. But getting shit done for a few hours at a time without checking in with Fi is absolutely not a concern. I don't think that's pathological at all.

My post wasn't clear; there's this assumption that it is common. I do not believe it to be common. I think people frequently mix up the idea of a dom/tert loop with a simple mistyping, which makes it seem much more common than it is. It can and does occur. People sometimes do diminish their aux function in place of their tert function, and it can lead to what is described as a dom/tert loop, but the full extent of it is very specific, and kind of rare.

It's one of many ways the functions could begin working in a misaligned and thus counter-productive manner, and I don't see dom/tert as being particularly as special as it's made out to me. The most "special" case I would say is an individual falling into the grip of their inferior function.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Unbalanced...for various reasons I have underdeveloped Fe and it can be depleted quickly. Once this happens I tend to go into Ni-Ti loops and appear NTP-ish. When I have more energy, and feel happy/myself, I can use Fe and Ti together in a balanced way.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
My post wasn't clear; there's this assumption that it is common. I do not believe it to be common. I think people frequently mix up the idea of a dom/tert loop with a simple mistyping, which makes it seem much more common than it is. It can and does occur. People sometimes do diminish their aux function in place of their tert function, and it can lead to what is described as a dom/tert loop, but the full extent of it is very specific, and kind of rare.

It's one of many ways the functions could begin working in a misaligned and thus counter-productive manner, and I don't see dom/tert as being particularly as special as it's made out to me. The most "special" case I would say is an individual falling into the grip of their inferior function.

OK Thanks for clarification.