• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are the functions, really?

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I am especially interested in Fi vs Fe. I think I may have been given wrong information for years.
[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] [MENTION=7991]chickpea[/MENTION] [MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION] [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] [MENTION=25763]Enthusiastic_Dreamer[/MENTION] [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION] What is Fi?
[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] [MENTION=23583]21lux[/MENTION] [MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION] [MENTION=18445]thoughtlost[/MENTION] [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] What is Fe?

I really would like to acquire some new Feeler information.

Edit: If any other Fi/Fe users would like to put forth some insights, that would be great. :)

Hey fetus, I think it's really cool you're looking to get to the bottom of all these functions. Most rely on google and end it there, but you seek to find an understanding in a context which you best comprehend. I really admire that. I do that too. It may annoy some people with how many questions I may ask at times, and some questions may seem irrelevant, but if I don't understand something at its base level, it irritates me. Now, understandably, Fe/Fi may confuse you, hell, it can be confusing for anyone, myself included. I think what adds to the complexity of the functions is that none work in a nice little vacuum. All the functions are working together, and people use all the functions, not just their given four, how I see it at least.

For me, my approach to feelings will have not only Fi, but Ne, Te, Si, and even some Fe thrown in the mix. But I'll give you my "flavor" of Fi, and hopefully you can use that along with everyone else' responses to cross examine and deduce what the core essence of Fi is. Again, in relation to how YOU understand things, not just throwing a bullet list of Fi features at you.

I mentioned this before in the thread on Fi, so feel free to check out that thread as well, but what it comes down to is, I relate everything around me on an emotional level, how I feel. Not how I perceive things like Si does, but the emotions conjured up when say, watching a movie, listening to a song, interacting with this person or that. Any experience I encounter will add some emotional value to me, and I unconsciously pick up those cues, and store it in my data bank for future use. The introverted functions are similar in this regard, whether it's Ti, Fi, Si, Ni. It's all about gathering and processing in relation to the person. I'm sure you knew that, but that really is key I feel, in determining if you utilize Fi enough, to consider that as your function. Again, I feel everyone uses all the functions at some point, so even if you relate to Fi a smidge, you may not "have" Fi.

Now, does this mean that external things affect my emotions at least on some level? yes, I don't think anyone is truly removed emotionally, from their surroundings. But, how this differs (so I think) from Fe, is that I adjust my environment to suit my internal state, I don't adjust my internal state to adjust to my environment. I tend to leave a situation if I'm feeling negatively from it, and I also bottle them up and don't show others when I'm feeling this way.

Now, going back to that emotional database of mine, I feel my collection of emotions and understanding of various shades of emotion, gives me the ability to sort of play "Dr. Phil" to anyone that comes to me for emotional support or help. At that point, I use Ne and Te to pick apart their situation and seek out the core problem area of their emotional distress. I also tend to ask them questions that I know they would know, and allow them to come to their own answers, rather than telling them some prognosis. I'm horribly awkward though in giving hugs or saying "oh, that's ok". Or when someone comes to me crying, I get really awkward around how to console them immediately. Instead, I approach emotion in a very logical way and will even present it in that way, in order to attack the problem at the core, and not just handing out emotional bandaids.

Hmm...I feel like I'm swaying off course here and there...

I can come back to you if you have any other questions about my version of Fi, but I'm feeling a bit scatterbrained at the moment. Shoot, and I feel I started off so coherently!

Oh, and one last comment just came to mind. I feel outwardly, it can appear as though someone with Fi may be using Fe when they care for others, but I feel the root of that is more of having respect for yourself and those around you. Because you know very well how your emotions work, it's easy to in the very least, treat others as you'd like to be treated yourself. So yes, Fi users are friendly too, and not emotionally selfish asses, and on the flipside, Fe users have morals too. I can't fathom functions being so black and white as stereotypes often are.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
All of this makes sense to me and sounds familiar, though maybe where I am different is that I do have a level of emotional investment in and caring for the person because it will instantly develop through this communication experience. I think that if I know just one more individual better, I know that much more about the collective whole and that can only be a good thing. It's really not clear to me whether I care more about the collective whole or about individuals. It's both, but I guess I have a difficult time saying one takes priority over the other.

I do want to know what other people think so I can add it to my own mental library, possibly adjusting my own thoughts on the subject, or not. On the other hand, I am at the same time hoping to add to the conversation partners mental library as well, by inserting myself into. I am hoping that we both come away mentally expanded.

Very cool, Litsnob! Either direction you take, whether you prefer learning more on an individual level or the collective whole, your understanding of the human condition can only improve with more newfound relationships and encounters. I think it's great to approach it on both the small and large scale, so keep on doing what your doing :newwink:

Btw, welcome to the forum! I haven't veered into the new member introduction thread for some time, but I hope you received a warm welcome there if you introduced yourself already.

Litsnob

Very cool, Litsnob! Either direction you take, whether you prefer learning more on an individual level or the collective whole, your understanding of the human condition can only improve with more newfound relationships and encounters. I think it's great to approach it on both the small and large scale, so keep on doing what your doing :newwink:

Btw, welcome to the forum! I haven't veered into the new member introduction thread for some time, but I hope you received a warm welcome there if you introduced yourself already.

Thank you, and yes, I am quite warmed by the welcome I am receiving. I am doing my best to radiate warmth in return. :)