• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

For the iNtuitives, do you have many friends outside of your age group/generation?

What age range is your group of friends in?

• Mostly the same age or within a few years by choice.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Mostly the same age but only because I don't meet many older people.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I relate to people not the age/generation so they are all different ages.

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Most of my friends are older/younger and not around my age.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I prefer older friends.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I prefer younger friends.

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
So I have an intuitive friend that was saying they couldn't really be friends with people that aren't also Y Generation. They felt most people have friends their own age, that generation plays a huge factor, that the different generations have nothing in common to relate to each other on and they don't communicate well with each other. They said they prefer people who have had the experiences of their generation so they don't have to over-explain.

Does this ring true for you all? For me I relate to people on things that aren't really impacted by generation/age and are more universal to the human experience. This has always been the case for me, since I was very young I related with the adults more and had a wide age range of friends. I have friends from 18 to 80 and value them all equally for the people they are in my life and the perspectives they offer. I know A LOT of intuitives and each one that I know is like this with a wide age range of friends. I have notice this isn't the case with the sensing types as they relate to each other differently, as such long spans of time without connect seems to impact them differently whereas intuitives seem to be better at picking up where they left off with an equally strong/intact connection.

Jaguar

I don't relate to your friend's POV at all, but I relate to yours.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ummm... I think that ANYONE is quite capable of having friends in varying age groups :shrug:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have friends. I mean, I consider some of you friends, but I'm a recluse. I chose the third option.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think that generation plays such a big role in relationships. People of any generation can get along and this also has nothing to do with being an intuitive type.

The fact is that most of the time I get into touch with people my age or close to my age range and I rarely meet someone really older or younger than me since I still go to college and I am surrounded by my peers there and my work place is also full of very young people in their early 20s so I don't know where would I meet people outside of my generation to be friends with.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
I like talking to people who are older than me, usually. I find people around my age to be too awkward or I cannot develop a deep enough connection to people may age.

And of course, I do like people younger than me too. Children don't make me feel awkward like people in their 20s can lol.

Edit:: haha ...I just realized that this was for intuitives =P

....MAH BAD! SORRY!

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Why would this relate to introversion only?

Edit: FAIL! I meant to type "intuition!"

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Well I'm a Millennial with mostly Baby Boomer friends and almost no Millennial friends, so that must be because I'm a Sensor. :D

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One friend happens to be 10 years older than me. My best friend from high school is a year older than me. But then again I don't have that many who I would consider my friend. I would consider someone my friend if I could tell them anything without them getting upset and they see the humour in it.

I guess that makes it 2 people, who are my friends.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I personally see no correlation between this and introversion.

Blech. That's what I get for commenting in the middle of the night.

I meant to type "intuition," not "introversion!"

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You mean like real person friends or the others ? :)

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm friends with people of all ages. I know some sensors who are too.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In a former job, when I was in my late 20's, I became good friends with a woman who at the time was in her late 40's/around 50. We went kayakking together one summer afternoon, and on a handful of occasions, after work, would head to a bar, get a glass of wine, and chat. We could really relate on an emotional / life-stage level; much in common.

I now work with a bunch of people who are 75% ages 16-22. It's... yeah. I find most of them to be fun, cool people, I am able to banter with them, I think we get along well, but, they're just at a different place in life, and it's not like I don't think we could be good friends if I were their age, I'm just not, lol. And it's obvious, they're wanting to be friends with people their age, who are at similar points in their lives to them, they have diff interests and preoccupations than I, and I'm not really able to relate to them on a true 'friend' level, so it's not like I really want to hang out with them, it would feel 'off'. Now, fast-forward 10 or 15 years when I'm much older and they're in their late 20's or 30's, then yeah, who knows.

Most of my friends are around my age or older.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm friends with people of all ages. I know some sensors who are too.

Yeah. Thx. I don't see this being an intuitive vs sensing thing. Rather the OP's friend may be a bit close-minded or at least, impatient.

My views are similar to [MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION]'s. I can see where youth can't relate to older people and vice versa because older people have already learned those lessons and moved on. Where younger people are still in that major discovery phase of life and older people may have relatability on going through that. They often don't have patience with them either for the same reasons.

Anyway, kind of a shame really. As each could learn a lot if both gave a little leeway to each other. My good friend is 70+. Crazy the stuff he knows.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have friends all over the age spectrum, but I get different kinds of ROI from different friends. People relatively within my own age group tend to understand my experience in ways that people outside my own age group don't, and it is nice to be able to take that for granted when I need it- but I wouldn't say it's a prerequisite to call someone a "friend".

á´…eparted

passages
The vast majority of my friends are 5-6 years younger than I am (at least 75%). A decent size is the same age, and a very small number are older.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Blech. That's what I get for commenting in the middle of the night.

I meant to type "intuition," not "introversion!"

I'm not certain it would but asked for the intuitive types specifically because I wanted that perspective or more so if other intuitives related to that. My thinking that maybe sensing types relate in a more concrete manner that would make it harder for them to get along with people that didn't have specific similar interests in common perhaps from their specific generation. And with intuitives types they would be less restricted and more abstract with what they would have in common with people hence having friends based on the person and not a generation or common interest. This was just a theory based on the friend base I have in my life.

In a former job, when I was in my late 20's, I became good friends with a woman who at the time was in her late 40's/around 50. We went kayakking together one summer afternoon, and on a handful of occasions, after work, would head to a bar, get a glass of wine, and chat. We could really relate on an emotional / life-stage level; much in common.

I now work with a bunch of people who are 75% ages 16-22. It's... yeah. I find most of them to be fun, cool people, I am able to banter with them, I think we get along well, but, they're just at a different place in life, and it's not like I don't think we could be good friends if I were their age, I'm just not, lol. And it's obvious, they're wanting to be friends with people their age, who are at similar points in their lives to them, they have diff interests and preoccupations than I, and I'm not really able to relate to them on a true 'friend' level, so it's not like I really want to hang out with them, it would feel 'off'. Now, fast-forward 10 or 15 years when I'm much older and they're in their late 20's or 30's, then yeah, who knows.

Most of my friends are around my age or older.

I can mostly relate to this. Historically I have had friends that were much, much younger and in totally different places in life. This was true up until about 5 years ago and is less common now unless they seek me out. Overall though I find the little 20 somethings to be flighty, non-dependable, to struggle with paying attention or have almost zero attention span and lacking depth. They're all over the place in their heads and rather untethered in a way that isn't really enjoyable for me and lacks the depth I require from a friend. This certainly isn't an end all be all rule, I meet many people in person this doesn't apply to but in the social media/online/forum world things have certainly changed human behavior with a trending propensity for lots of not very deep connections.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
So I have an intuitive friend that was saying they couldn't really be friends with people that aren't also Y Generation. They felt most people have friends their own age, that generation plays a huge factor, that the different generations have nothing in common to relate to each other on and they don't communicate well with each other. They said they prefer people who have had the experiences of their generation so they don't have to over-explain.

Does this ring true for you all? For me I relate to people on things that aren't really impacted by generation/age and are more universal to the human experience. This has always been the case for me, since I was very young I related with the adults more and had a wide age range of friends. I have friends from 18 to 80 and value them all equally for the people they are in my life and the perspectives they offer. I know A LOT of intuitives and each one that I know is like this with a wide age range of friends. I have notice this isn't the case with the sensing types as they relate to each other differently, as such long spans of time without connect seems to impact them differently whereas intuitives seem to be better at picking up where they left off with an equally strong/intact connection.

I relate to people. How long they've been here is irrelavent to me.