• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

JCF and facial expressions

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I don't put a lot of stock in facial expression typing at all, but I wanted to know if anyone noticed a correlation.

Mostly I have noticed it in Fe users. People say that FJs often have very expressive faces. I have noticed it, too. They have generally displayed more emotion, especially when listening to others. More often, in my experience, they have a very apparent "listening face" that the Fi users I've known have not displayed. Personally, my listening face tends to be blank, and I have to physically make an effort to make it look like I'm not spaced-out. I've talked to IxFPs and they have it too - compassion, but it's not as easily read on the face. When I think I'm expressing concern or emotion on my face, I look in the mirror later and see that there was little expression at all; it was much more expressive in my head. I have also noticed that Fi tends to have more expressive eyes. You can see emotions more in there. Some theorized that Fi uses more expression on the upper half of the face, Fe more on the lower half.

This could all be bullshit. It probably is, and I certainly wouldn't use it as basis to type anyone. But there are patterns I've noticed, and I wanted to know what you guys thought.

P.S. I've only focused on the Fe and Fi here, but if anyone wants to add anything about other functions, that'd be great.

á´…eparted

passages
It is kinda ridiculous how facially expressive I am. Ask [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION].

There's a pattern I've noticed, and it's the same as what you have noticed. Even so it's not completely consistent. My father (an ESTJ) is rather facially expressive. However, the quality and the way in which I do it is very different between the two of us. Unfortunately I don't have good words to explain it. The best way I can put it, is with him it isn't about conveying a purpose, where as with me it is.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Not observant enough to catch any correlations myself, but in my case (SiFe) I've got the worst case of resting bitchface on the planet. People always think I'm sad or angry. I've gone through entire job interviews without smiling because I "forgot" (I can't do it unless I'm actively thinking about it). Perhaps it's because as I lead with an introverted function, I'm always kind of lost in my head, so I don't pay attention to what kind of facial expressions I'm giving off.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol. this is me. I have a nice smile, when I remember to use it. :)

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My face is always deadpan, listening face too, unless I'm laughing and then it's pretty wide. I think I fit the expressive eyes, though. Sometimes they look dead, sometimes they're sparkling. Extraverts in general are usually more expressive; I've also noticed that ExTJs are often expressive.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Not observant enough to catch any correlations myself, but in my case (SiFe) I've got the worst case of resting bitchface on the planet. People always think I'm sad or angry. I've gone through entire job interviews without smiling because I "forgot" (I can't do it unless I'm actively thinking about it). Perhaps it's because as I lead with an introverted function, I'm always kind of lost in my head, so I don't pay attention to what kind of facial expressions I'm giving off.

You're also sp/so and sp types are allegedly supposed to have a more withdrawn, self-absorbed facial expression (so being the more warm and inviting, sx being more piercing and fiery). I don't put that much stack into VI and always sort of engaged with it just for fun...boomslang's analysis of it though was interesting when he had that thread...but I always liked this photoset.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're also sp/so and sp types are allegedly supposed to have a more withdrawn, self-absorbed facial expression (so being the more warm and inviting, sx being more piercing and fiery). I don't put that much stack into VI and always sort of engaged with it just for fun...boomslang's analysis of it though was interesting when he had that thread...but I always liked this photoset.

The sx/sp pic is spot on.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The sx/sp pic is spot on.

Yeah, both sx/so pictures work for me...although I kind of wish my expression was more like the so/sx dude. :unsure: But whatever I'm cute anyways

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've often been told that I look kind of spaced out to people, lost in thought. Interestingly, I've been told I smile alot, usually when I'm thinking of something to myself I happen to find amusing.

Do you think Fe users tend to smile more on the outside, even those who have it lower in the stack like me?

fetus

Enneagram
6w7

I like the photoset. I think I look most like so/sx (she's so cute omg). So/sp is more like my picture smile (though I don't always smile with my teeth), but so/sx is my natural/happy. I have the so/sx bright eyes, I think. ;P

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I've often been told that I look kind of spaced out to people, lost in thought. Interestingly, I've been told I smile alot, usually when I'm thinking of something to myself I happen to find amusing.

Do you think Fe users tend to smile more on the outside, even those who have it lower in the stack like me?

I don't know. The ISTPs I know have very stoic faces. The INTP was quite expressive.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
On the one hand, I'm a relatively level person, with not much emotional variety from day to day, so I don't tend to express as much as extroverted feelers might. On the other hand, I have the capacity for really over-the-top expressiveness -- most of which came directly from my mother (an INFJ) through imitation and through genetics -- and if I'm telling a story, or generally hanging out with friends, I play up my expressiveness for laughs. It probably helps that they contrast so strongly with my resting face, which is stoic, focused, and determined.

It is kinda ridiculous how facially expressive I am. Ask [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION].

There's a pattern I've noticed, and it's the same as what you have noticed. Even so it's not completely consistent. My father (an ESTJ) is rather facially expressive. However, the quality and the way in which I do it is very different between the two of us. Unfortunately I don't have good words to explain it. The best way I can put it, is with him it isn't about conveying a purpose, where as with me it is.
^ That seems fair/accurate. How does my expressiveness compare with his? Since you've met me as much as I've met you.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a very expressive face, but I wouldn't say I'm expressive when talking / don't think it's really tied to interaction itself, I think I'm often fairly 'flat' with that. But I have a pretty huge range of individual expressions- big kid-like grins, frowny skepticism, eyes suddenly lighting up, or furrowing, any tiny twitch in my mouth or eyes changes my expression and is evident to people.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I have also noticed that Fi tends to have more expressive eyes. You can see emotions more in there. Some theorized that Fi uses more expression on the upper half of the face, Fe more on the lower half.

I don't think it's bullshit. The more I thought about this ^^ in particular, I think it's true. I definitely use my eyes and eyebrows to express feelings far more than my mouth. My ENFJ, for example, is totally the opposite but there are times he is hard to read too - he's expressing more in his head.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Those pics are great. I totally agree with the sp/sx female for myself but the sx/sp is exactly right.

á´…eparted

passages
^ That seems fair/accurate. How does my expressiveness compare with his? Since you've met me as much as I've met you.

It's different, but falls under the same category. Expressive, but it isn't done with explicit purpose, and isn't dramatic.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I smile when uncomfortable, which leads to the opposite problem... I've smiled inappropriately on many occasions, including funerals and while standing in front of a judge when I was supposed to be looking penitent :doh:

my default expression is apparently a bit hunted and suspicious according to friends and family... still a smile though :)