• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to add Ti to my Fi

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Everyone can use all the functions but one person uses only 4 consciously and the other 4 unconsciously what that means is that you can use the other 4 functions when you are in auto - pilot mode(the introverted ones at least) for example i use Ni many times when daydreaming but i am ENTP , also i use Fi sometimes when i am upset but i dont realize i do so and if i realize i try to supress it and process things logically (switch to Ti).

According to Jung there isnt even 8 functions, but 4 functions which we use either in introverted or extraverted attitude, so no, we dont use 8 functions according to jung. According to MBTI we dont use 8 functions either. This 8 function theory is beebes type theory(some others have made similar bullshit theories as well), not MBTI or jungian theory.

giorgaros2

MBTI Type
ENTP
Who cares about them i have expanded their theories.lol. Seriously when i started learning about MBTI 3 years ago i took MBTI and Jung theories about functions and then i expanded them by myself through self reflection and through constatly typing people in real life.And yes i can use more fucntions than 4 so i dont know maybe i am a mutant?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Who cares about them i have expanded their theories.lol. Seriously when i started learning about MBTI 3 years ago i took MBTI and Jung theories about functions and then i expanded them by myself through self reflection and through constatly typing people in real life.And yes i can use more fucntions than 4 so i dont know maybe i am a mutant?

I used to believe in 8 function theory, then i saw it in myself how functions interact with each others and after that saw jung saying pretty much the same thing i concluded on my own. After learning about typology more, 8 function theory just makes less and less sense and explains much less of personality compared to jungs original theory. Ofc there has been some good additions to jungs theory, i dont deny that, but 8 function theory is only a downgrade that simplifies things too much.

Florence Atley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
First of all you dont use Fi if you are an infj. Infjs use F in extraverted attitude, not introverted.

There are two reasons why a function can work automatically. First one being that you are so fluent(usually with dom function) on it that some of the processing is done so fast that your conscious mind only picks up half way. Sort of when you first start to read vs when you have been reading for years. First you need to be very conscious about all letters, but when you are fluent on it, much of it is done automatically. Second reason is that its so little developed that you are not even conscious of it.

Thinking function defines and tells what a thing is based on logical qualities and reasoning. Introverted thinking attitude means that you trust you own analysis more than information given to you IF your own analysis makes more sense to you(and also evaluate more if it makes sense to you). Also there is sort of initial mistrust to given info, it needs to make sense to you before accepting the info. Extraverted thinking is sort of more shallow, like if it seems to work in the real world, it must be true end of analysis, Ti needs to know more in depth why it works(for it to make sense to you). Also Te trusts given info more readily if it comes from trusted source, Ti user(especially Ti dom doesent care where the info comes from so much, but cares more if it doesent seem to be reasonable).

Whoa. Perfect description. So many discussions with INTJs make so much more sense when reading your distinction between Ti and Te. So the weird thing is I think I mainly trust incoming information in the form of Te, yet I seem to trust my underdeveloped Ti when I'm weighing facts to discern. That's probably why I'm so concerned about having an underdeveloped Ti! You've given me hope that refining my Ti should eventually become more natural with practice (you would know, right :) ). It's super hard for me to follow abstract reasoning apart from positivistic proof, because my brain gets overloaded with seemingly irrelevant information. Maybe if I stick with it long enough to see the big picture those little true/false statements will take on meaning for me. Thanks for the insight!

(As for my mention of Fi, that was based on my assumption that if my "I" went with my "N" then it also went with my "F." Further evidence that I'm not careful enough with my Te or Ti ;) )

Florence Atley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Quote Originally Posted by giorgaros2
I used to believe in 8 function theory, then i saw it in myself how functions interact with each others and after that saw jung saying pretty much the same thing i concluded on my own. After learning about typology more, 8 function theory just makes less and less sense and explains much less of personality compared to jungs original theory. Ofc there has been some good additions to jungs theory, i dont deny that, but 8 function theory is only a downgrade that simplifies things too much.

Ok, so watch closely as I derail my own thread to go on a tangent, because having studied MBTI for literally one week I now consider myself to be super insightful on the subject. What about people who are both social extroverts and introverts? I try to be as talkative as possible in public to gain as much insight as possible. It's hard to get conversations started, and I often fail miserably, but a couple times a month I go out and get great energy by externalizing my manic and constant theoretical problem-solving on anyone who will offer the slightest bit of input to help refine it. All the extroverts get energy talking to people, (which doesn't apply to me unless it's interesting impersonal information), and none of the introverts get crazy talkative with a thirst for weird people and adventure (like I do - in small, infrequent doses). None of the shadow selves apply either.

So... here's my thought - what's the MBTI profile for someone with multiple personality disorder? :)

giorgaros2

MBTI Type
ENTP
I believe that we use 8 functions from info i have gained from my self and from countless typings of people in real life , you may not think like that but it all comes down to how you define the functions and what you think is each one , since the curent function definitions most people agree on , is too complicated and full of things that dont make sense , i have created a very simplified definition for each function that goes well with each opposite and make the most sense when compared with reality(i mean the data i have taken from reality) , ofc people will not agree at this firstly because i have no proof and secondly because ofc they believe people with more authority than me on the subject as they should do. With the model i follow it makes perfect sense for me to use all functions

Florence Atley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
giorgaros2 , would you be willing to describe how you define Ti and Te as an example of what you mean? Like, as opposed to the prepackaged definitions I've read online, how do you see those qualities as an example of the 8 functions playing out in real life?

giorgaros2

MBTI Type
ENTP
Imo... Ti is logic, logical understanding and creation of logical systems.
Te is :affecting/translating to the environment using existing logic.

So Te on its own does not create logical models,it uses the existing logical(or not logical) properties and logical models about objects so as to manipulate them.
While Ti finds the logical properties and creates the logical Models
Te goes against Fi very often because Te cares about the objective properties of an object (that which most people agree upon) so as to manipulate it better.An example is chess ,you only care how every piece is named so as to distinguish it from each other and you care about how each piece is compared to one another and how it interacts with the others.Fi on the other hand is about subjective values and opinions.So for example the Te user will see an object and see its objective properties and how it compares with other objects and Fi will see subjective things about the object , based on the users likes/dislikes or values.Thats why Fi doms are a little bad with criticism directed at themselves because when you see yourself as a logical object or chess piece your Fi is cancelled.

Florence Atley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
So basically Te would be more like a surgeon who knows how the body works, whereas Ti would be the medical researcher who is logically breaking established ideas down to question them, right? From these descriptions, it seems Ti function is necessarily a learned skill, and I'm wondering why they don't teach it in the public schools past second grade? Remember those logic charts and stuff where they teach pattern recognition and basic logic to little kids? So there it is -- I have the logical rulebook of a ten year old :p

The discussion about whether MBTI is better expressed using 8 functions or 4 seems relevant to this topic, because if our "shadow functions" (right?) or other inadequacies make it more difficult to grow in our strengths, it makes sense to deal with them as well. Ti is one of my strengths as an INFJ, but it is less developed than my Ni and Fe. Could part of the problem be not just lack of practice, but that my shadow functions make practicing more distasteful or difficult? In that case, could understanding my shadow functions help to neutralize obstacles to personal growth? What is the argument against the validity to an 8 function system - is it because shadow functions are unconscious and therefore not directly responsive to Ti?

giorgaros2

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ti is a creative function , it is subjective so when it is used it creates a different logical model most of the times.Both Ti and Te users may know how the body works, to understand how something works though you have to make it you own , you have to use Ti.A Te user who doesnt use Ti will not understand anything and just remember info and believe in it blindly, most Te users use Ti though