• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Argument and Type

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you think you can tell what someone's type is by how they argue?

I think you can usually tell whether they're a thinker or a feeler by how logical or emotional their arguments are. This isn't foolproof, but I think you can at least make a guess. Sometimes a feeler will use logic to "prove" their feelings, and visit virsa.

So what do you think?

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
ENTPs are annoying as FUCK when they argue. It's an incessant stubbornness that they'll push until the other person gives up, at which point they'll reveal the entire thing was just 'a fun experiment' for them. What most people don't know is that if you tell us to back the fuck off because we're crossing boundaries we will, so make sure to stand up to ENTPs folks!

ENTJs will try to bully the other person into submission, and because they're stubborn as hell they will give ultimatums so that they can get their way. My best friend is one and he's a bitch to argue with.

ESFPs are dramatic and will throw tantrums.

INTJs I found are very logical and collected but will bring up the same points over and over, as if repetition is the key to winning an argument. I think they're argument tactic is nag until the other person caves.

ISFJs just cry and get irrationally emotional, becoming easily offended and taking things quite personally.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ISFJs just cry and get irrationally emotional, becoming easily offended and taking things quite personally.

First part - no
Second part - yes very much so

I had an argument with my INTP sister today. Kind of. I went to the store on the way home and bought some food. I walked in the door. She was in the kitchen listening to music (she paces while she does this, maladaptive daydremaing). I told her I bought a pizza and started putting the groceries away and she bitched and complained that I was in the way. I took this incredibly personally. I didn't like being told I was doing something annoying or wrong when I had no idea she was in there before I walked in and had frozen food that I had to put away which would only take a couple minutes. She countered that she didn't mean it as a personal insult but as an observation that shouldn't be taken personally. But I did take it personally because the way she said it sounded that way, whether it was her intention or not. It blew over after a few minutes, but that's an example of a minor argument between an ISFJ and INTP.

We've had larger arguments. Her inferior Fe always gets a hold of her when she realizes she can't win (realizes her logic is faulty or that the opposing side's logic is correct and can't be challenged) and she bursts into uncharacteristic extreme fits of emotion.

So I guess you could try to identify a type by how they react when gripped by their inferior function.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
ENTPs are born arguing with the doctor/midwife.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
First part - no
Second part - yes very much so

I had an argument with my INTP sister today. Kind of. I went to the store on the way home and bought some food. I walked in the door. She was in the kitchen listening to music (she paces while she does this, maladaptive daydremaing). I told her I bought a pizza and started putting the groceries away and she bitched and complained that I was in the way. I took this incredibly personally. I didn't like being told I was doing something annoying or wrong when I had no idea she was in there before I walked in and had frozen food that I had to put away which would only take a couple minutes. She countered that she didn't mean it as a personal insult but as an observation that shouldn't be taken personally. But I did take it personally because the way she said it sounded that way, whether it was her intention or not. It blew over after a few minutes, but that's an example of a minor argument between an ISFJ and INTP.

We've had larger arguments. Her inferior Fe always gets a hold of her when she realizes she can't win (realizes her logic is faulty or that the opposing side's logic is correct and can't be challenged) and she bursts into uncharacteristic extreme fits of emotion.

So I guess you could try to identify a type by how they react when gripped by their inferior function.

Cousin is an ISFJ and he likes to argue actually until his buttons are pushed. It's like he has a low threshold for debate.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Cousin is an ISFJ and he likes to argue actually until his buttons are pushed. It's like he has a low threshold for debate.

Oh, yeah, if I'm comfortable with someone I'll argue with them all the time. My mom and grandma used to say that I'd argue with a fence post. Not sure about other ISFJs, but it's hard to press my buttons and usually arguments/debates are for fun. When those buttons really do get pushed, though... invokes all that terrible Fe wrath they tell you about in scary stories.

Last edited:

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh, yeah, if I'm comfortable with someone I'll argue with them all the time. My mom and grandma used to say that I'd argue with a fence post. Not sure about other ISFJs, but it's hard to press my buttons and usually arguments/debates are for fun. When those buttons really do get pushed, though... invokes all that terrible Fe wrath they tell you about in scary stories.

Sounds like you have an inner ENTP. :newwink:

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I have two argumentative styles, one that is emotionally charged, and one that rests purely on logic. Usually the emotionally charged style comes to play when I feel I've been personally attacked and all the other person will see is a flood of nonsensical incoherent gibberish. It pains me to experience this as I'm using this form, but I often can't stop myself in the heat of the moment.

The other, can almost make me appear as a Thinker since I can come off rather detached from my emotions on the subject.

In general though, I tend not to argue often at all.

Is this an ENFP thing, who knows?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
She countered that she didn't mean it as a personal insult but as an observation that shouldn't be taken personally.

That's a weak reaction they (we?) use when they realize their words have upset someone in their inner circle (family, friends). She was irritated that you got in her way, but realizing she was in the wrong, she tried to explain away her irritated reaction as "an observation." Technically, she was right, but using the "observation defense" doesn't really seem to work in those situations where it's obvious the INTP is reacting out of irritation or frustration.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I get into an argument, my first response is trying to remain as calm as possible unless they throw something in personal. If it's nothing personal, I am usually quite good in seeing all perspectives even those who some would consider taboo or whatever.

When it gets personal, I'll call them out for it, if they don't care. I won't argue with them because those kind of people aren't worth arguing with anyway. Or those who are too immature to be self-aware of their actions. And of course with my Fe I try to soothe and get to a compromise with those who can even get to that point lol.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I really don't argue. Well, maybe I do. My parents might call me argumentative, but that's only because the things I feel strongly about often go against their conservative viewpoints. I try to be respectful, but I admit that things get heated if I feel like they're being inaccurate or intolerant.

One of my admitted faults is debating on Facebook. I was raised in a very conservative church, so I'm friends with people from there. Some of their stuff is annoyingly illogical or intolerant, so I write out a long-ass (but respectful) comment about why it's not okay. Then I immediately regret it, and I spend the rest of the discussion trying to smooth things over and back out of it.

I don't argue here, because all of you scare me, TBQH.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I learned a long time ago that arguing only gets you in trouble in the real world. So I adapted my arguing style to where it seems like I am joking or changed the way I represented the argument through tone of voice.

Its worked. But it also made it to where no one can take me seriously anymore.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
think both have a tendency to rationalize their previously held opinions rather than the other way around.

difference in action?
thinkers: more likely to tunnel on long after it's appropriate to drop the bone. less likely to understand that arguments require social compromise along with ideological.
feelers: more likely to interpret criticism of an idea or action as criticism of a person's nature. more likely to become overwhelmed and make "aristocratic retreats".

or so the speculation goes...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really don't argue. Well, maybe I do. My parents might call me argumentative, but that's only because the things I feel strongly about often go against their conservative viewpoints. I try to be respectful, but I admit that things get heated if I feel like they're being inaccurate or intolerant.

One of my admitted faults is debating on Facebook. I was raised in a very conservative church, so I'm friends with people from there. Some of their stuff is annoyingly illogical or intolerant, so I write out a long-ass (but respectful) comment about why it's not okay. Then I immediately regret it, and I spend the rest of the discussion trying to smooth things over and back out of it.

I don't argue here, because all of you scare me, TBQH.
We are scarier than a bunch of religious conservatives whom you actually know IRL???

Oh, boy.

P.S. no regrets or backpedaling. Stick to your guns (politely) when you have a well-thought-out response. Not everyone has to agree with you.

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I approach every argument with an open mind. I believe that everyone has the right to my opinion.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Over the years I have learned that when it comes to arguing, quality is better than quantity.