• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are all ENPs i have met socially introverted?

giorgaros2

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have met only one ENFP and an ENTP who could be seen as extroverted , all the other ENP's i have met are socially introverted , i mean they talk to you, they are fun and get involved in conversations but generally they prefer to stay inside , they dont have many friends etc.Also why so many of them have problems with anxiety?Is it a Ne dom thing ?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFPs are the most introverted of the extroverts. My ENFP friend loves to have fun and get involved in groups, but she can't eat at the same table as most people and gets isolated easily, by her choice.

She says it is just too draining being around crowds. She feels emotionally connected to others very easily and she feels drains her.

My ENTP brother struggles to have roommates, let alone long-term relationships because he gets really bothered by people. Crowds just work him over and leave him wanting to find a quiet corner.

It could be a NeJi thing...

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
I've read somewhere that ENTPs can easily be confused for introverts and during childhood we're more likely to behave like INTPs. While I'm incredibly sociable, love crowds, love meeting new people, and all the other stereotypical extroverted interests, I love my alone time and I do most things by myself. I like having friends, but I found I only have room for a small amount in my life at one time, so I've been known as a serial friender where I'll get super into someone, become besties right away, and when something stops working I'll move on. Especially when people try to force their way into my life and push boundaries I've set, I get pretty weirdly territorial and either push back or just break off the relationship all together. I remember when I first got into personality studies I always assumed I was an introvert because I just don't care for most people, but I've come to learn that has nothing to do with it. My other ENTP friend is the same - he's amazing in social settings but he doesn't go out of his way to interact with others and prefers doing everything alone. I've found ENFPs like company more than we do overall, but some of them can be pretty withdrawn too.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's exhausting to be bombarded by the non-stop emotional toxic waste of others who somehow seem to enjoy living in emotional smog city and never clean it out - even more so when they travel in packs. Too many moods, trauma's and wounds to adjust to, flex towards or ignore because they won't acknowledge it themselves. Too many meaningless rules that keep the pain alive instead of moving through it and actually healing, and too many linear, ritualist and vapid conversations that cannot detract enough from the pain and stimulate the mind. And too much anger, frustration and indifference that just saps the colour right out of the world and turns it into this dullish grey nightmare.

At the same time, when the planets do align and the environment is just perfect with deep scintillating conversation, people who are actually happy and united or open to being amazed, amused and openminded in general, or at least honest and vulnerable with you, pain and all, it can be so..soul nourishing :heart:

However, fun as it can be to go out and meet people, a good book or film at home is likely way more predictably enjoyable.

And then there is the fact that Fi is more focused one-on-one AND needs time alone to process and reflect on things :shrug:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
alternative explanation: Introverted Ne users murdered and impersonated all extroverts. Out of jealousy. Of course. :coffee:

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
^^ The plot thickens.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have met only one ENFP and an ENTP who could be seen as extroverted , all the other ENP's i have met are socially introverted , i mean they talk to you, they are fun and get involved in conversations but generally they prefer to stay inside , they dont have many friends etc.Also why so many of them have problems with anxiety?Is it a Ne dom thing ?

I think I'm well balanced socially. I don't necessarily go out of my way to be constantly social but I do enjoy a good game of cards against humanity with a lot of people or an engaging conversation with different viewpoints flying around all over the place. The anxiety you speak of (at least from me) may come from inferior Si. I only get really anxious when I think I've missed a lot of little details and something I thought I did well may have turned out to be shit. Then it will become a cascading effect and I'll tend to worry about missing or losing something in any activity I do while anxious.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think they make their presence known by hovering in the air... I mean they... they get to let you know they exist, but then that's it. Is this what you refer to as socially introverted?

giorgaros2

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think they make their presence known by hovering in the air... I mean they... they get to let you know they exist, but then that's it. Is this what you refer to as socially introverted?

Yes something like that

perhaps it is because what actually counts as extroversion in the real world is how much do you get involved in it.Stuff like going out talking to people , going to parties etc.I believe as an ENTP that the main thing connecting me with the actual world is Fe and Fe is third in ENTPs so its supposed to be weak, kinda like Ne in ESTJs ... and ESTJ arent known for being openminded and perceptive.
If this is true then the most extravert-looking of all types are Se doms and Fe/Te doms.(Especially ESFP,ENFJ,ESFJ).
and the most introverted looking type is INTP (kinda true :p from most INTPs i have met)

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes something like that

perhaps it is because what actually counts as extroversion in the real world is how much do you get involved in it.Stuff like going out talking to people , going to parties etc.I believe as an ENTP that the main thing connecting me with the actual world is Fe and Fe is third in ENTPs so its supposed to be weak, kinda like Ne in ESTJs ... and ESTJ arent known for being openminded and perceptive.
If this is true then the most extravert-looking of all types are Se doms and Fe/Te doms.(Especially ESFP,ENFJ,ESFJ).
and the most introverted looking type is INTP (kinda true :p from most INTPs i have met)

So you need the other person, people, to approach you to talk to you, and once that happens, you talk what appears like an extrovert? Or do you see yourself as someone that burns out quickly?

giorgaros2

MBTI Type
ENTP
So you need the other person, people, to approach you to talk to you, and once that happens, you talk what appears like an extrovert? Or do you see yourself as someone that burns out quickly?

I am not the most extroverted ENTP , but i would say that i act extroverted when things are not static/known.For example when meeting new people , when doing new things but unlike Se doms if the situation is too static or if i have relived the same experience and know how itsgoing to play out i start getting drained like an introvert (probably even faster).Also i get drained when i do things that are solely based on human interaction.Like sitting and talking with friends for hours.Although if the conversation is interestin i m drained much more slowly

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Is it an Ne dom thing? Perhaps? But I think it's more a combination of things for me personally. I don't tend to get burned out by being sociable in a typical sense. I can definitely feel drained, but what I think the core of that is, is if I haven't been given the opportunity to reflect on the experiences I've had, or time to check in on myself and gauge whether what I'm doing, is in line with the bigger picture of life that I see myself in. I have goals and aspirations for myself, and sure, i love to live and seek out adventure, but those adventures are calculated and aren't without purpose for me. If I do something new, I will need time to reflect on that. Also, I feel a constant need to express myself creatively and to allow my imagination to flex once in a while to feel truly alive and myself.

So rather than being socially introverted or anxious, for me, it's more about not being able to reflect and act creatively for too long a period is what drains me, or leaves me feeling like a some hallow shell of a life. The act of socializing or being around people, isn't what drains me.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The people I've met and typed as ENFPs are extremely extroverted and zany. It's one reason I've been reluctant to consider the type for myself. The one's I've known create so spontaneously that being around them feels like being on a idea roller-coaster. I knew one who made up a set of songs in imaginary languages she spontaneously invented the phonetics for, and they sounded like actual languages. Others I knew were in improvisational ensembles where the creativity was so fast and varied and sometimes silly that it felt like there was a clear lack of adult supervision. There is some type of ENFP/ENTP that is unmistakably zany and extroverted, but from everything I've read there is another category within the type that is actually almost introverted.

I did read that the humanist psychologist Carl Rogers is an ENFP. If that is true, then it is even possible I could be one (and I consider myself an extreme introvert). He is very soft-spoken, reserved, and seemingly introverted.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The people I've met and typed as ENFPs are extremely extroverted and zany. It's one reason I've been reluctant to consider the type for myself. The one's I've known create so spontaneously that being around them feels like being on a idea roller-coaster. I knew one who made up a set of songs in imaginary languages she spontaneously invented the phonetics for, and they sounded like actual languages. Others I knew were in improvisational ensembles where the creativity was so fast and varied and sometimes silly that it felt like there was a clear lack of adult supervision. There is some type of ENFP/ENTP that is unmistakably zany and extroverted, but from everything I've read there is another category within the type that is actually almost introverted.

I did read that the humanist psychologist Carl Rogers is an ENFP. If that is true, then it is even possible I could be one (and I consider myself an extreme introvert). He is very soft-spoken, reserved, and seemingly introverted.

I used to be like that. I stopped doing that in public coz it got me so much negative feedback it just wasn't worth it anymore. It gets you labelled 'attention whore', 'childish', 'never knows when to shut up' and 'doesn't know when to take something serious'. And they look at you like you're from planet Xseijwreiiwww - big eyes, wide open with a lot of awkward 'errrr', basically. I only do that now with people I truly feel comfortable with and who I know actually like it and even then I watch that I don't become too overbearing or monopolising as I'm self conscious about that now :shrug:

I do miss it, and I do try to do it when I'm on my own or among kindred spirits because it does replenish me.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Getting too close to too many people imposes constraints. I mean, I'm not antisocial, misanthropic, etc.; and I love 'em all to death; but it's true.

Crowds are fine. Speaking to crowds is fine. Chit-chatting is fine. Getting all tangled up in Christmas lights isn't so fine.

giorgaros2

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have 2 theories that might explain this.

First:Ne!=social extraversion.
I believe that the definition of Ne focuses too much on the brainstorming side of Ne.Of course i am very good at brainstorming and creaating new ideas out of thin air and then pursuing them, but i do it like 20% of the time i use my perception.Most of the time i use perception i just like to take NEW info in doesnt matter if i created them from brainstorming or found them as they were.This imo should be the most BASIC definition of Ne , "Explores the outter world and takes new data " ,.notice the word "data", Ne doesnt care about experience like Se, it cares about actual data.Thats why you can be pretty isolated nowdays and still have your Ne fully satisfied (Internet is the Ne user's paradise).

Second: ENxPs and INxPs have very low Se.If you think about it the younger you are the more in touch with your animal insticts you are,Thats where Se is king and thats why children's social dynamics are dominated by Se.The younger the children the more their "little society" values Se. ENPs and INPs on the other hand have very low Se and cant match the required aggression and displays of strength that you need in order to be valued in childrens' societies.Thats why ENPs and especially INPs are often bullied or/and ostracized by their peers which may make them kinda introverted socially later in their life.

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
I think it is because of he in general. Ne is the most introverted of al extroverted functions due to it not really focusing on the real world.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I have 2 theories that might explain this.

First:Ne!=social extraversion.
I believe that the definition of Ne focuses too much on the brainstorming side of Ne.Of course i am very good at brainstorming and creaating new ideas out of thin air and then pursuing them, but i do it like 20% of the time i use my perception.Most of the time i use perception i just like to take NEW info in doesnt matter if i created them from brainstorming or found them as they were.This imo should be the most BASIC definition of Ne , "Explores the outter world and takes new data " ,.notice the word "data", Ne doesnt care about experience like Se, it cares about actual data.Thats why you can be pretty isolated nowdays and still have your Ne fully satisfied (Internet is the Ne user's paradise).

Second: ENxPs and INxPs have very low Se.If you think about it the younger you are the more in touch with your animal insticts you are,Thats where Se is king and thats why children's social dynamics are dominated by Se.The younger the children the more their "little society" values Se. ENPs and INPs on the other hand have very low Se and cant match the required aggression and displays of strength that you need in order to be valued in childrens' societies.Thats why ENPs and especially INPs are often bullied or/and ostracized by their peers which may make them kinda introverted socially later in their life.

Ya, I can agree with your perception of Ne users having a hard time growing up. I learned very early on that I was different than most other kids. I learned that my jokes and banter often made references that other kids were unaware of, and they sometimes poked fun of my "bizarre" sense of humor. Therefore, in order to try and become one of the other kids, I toned my Ne down quite a bit and kept that hidden for years.