• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

X's in type make very little sense

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I didn't even check the thread but ya. I mean everyone has to use the other functions. But you use the other functions in a very synthetic way. If you want, go on aim and aim me at ohyathatmike, i would be happy to explain it.

Can't aim now. The point of the thread was to illustrate that people's function orders sometimes deviate from the prescribed function notation of their type.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do people always fit into function notation's boxes?
Check this thread, for example:
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...itive-processes-test.html?highlight=cognitive

Consider the listed function order for a particular type to be the "generic" textbook version of the type in question.

But even on this site, we see that not everyone has the same strength of the basic functions listed, and often people have at least 1-2 functions that throw off the order or seem anomalous.

I still have found it useful to start with the baseline, then view function strength and see how that shift in the baseline might have resulted and what probable impact it would have on behavior and motivation.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
An ENFx has both Ne and Fe? Ne affected by Fi and Fe affected by Ni? To be comfortable using Feeling and Intuition BOTH introverted and extroverted sounds like being a superhero to me. Are their functions more numerous albeit underdeveloped? What's the story?

Hello. I'm an XXXX.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
This is all true. My view on functions is this. I'm an ENFP so "technically" speaking Ni is not in there. But of course we use every function in someway. This is contradicting in a way. My idea is that you use a mix between Ne and Fi or something to that effect to make a synthetic version of Ni. A better example of this with me is my lack of Fe. I'm generally uncomfortable with the "caregiver" role. I can pull it off with a little bit of Fi mixed with Ne, though. And yes, everyone is different, true. I look at it similar to you Jennifer. A lot of things can be explained through the enneagram. For example, I have three ENTJ's in my immediate life, a good friend, my girlfriend, and my father. All of them are completely different. This is a little hard to explain using MBTI, but when using the enneagram, they were all quite obviously different, though still ENTJ's. The enneagram is good at defining peoples motives vs. their actual personality.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ut when using the enneagram, they were all quite obviously different, though still ENTJ's. The enneagram is good at defining peoples motives vs. their actual personality.

i would imagine that 7w8 ENFPs (myself) would be very different than 7w6 ENFPs.... (if they're even 7s at all...)

observer84

MBTI Type
INTP
the one that annoys me the most is INXP...how fricking hard is it to differentiate between:

"I'm an INFP who has the disillusion of being logical in my philosophies on life"
"I'm an INTP who isnt completely meanly cynical"

INXP!? bah! :devil:

Yeah, INTP and INFP are VERY different personalities.

However, growing up as a female INTP it becomes difficult to be socially accepted. In an attempt to connect with other people, I made conscious efforts to simulate Fe using my Ne function, I think.

So, while I do attempt (at times) to be compassionate and friendly, the description of an INFP is not me.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i would imagine that 7w8 ENFPs (myself) would be very different than 7w6 ENFPs.... (if they're even 7s at all...)

ENFP's are funny because they fit into sooooo many enneagram types. Your a 7w8 im a 9w3. they fit into 2's. they literally fit into half of the enneagram types. An INTJ only seems to fit into 2 enneagram types. same with and INFJ. Its different for each type

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
However, growing up as a female INTP it becomes difficult to be socially accepted. In an attempt to connect with other people, I made conscious efforts to simulate Fe using my Ne function, I think.

So, while I do attempt (at times) to be compassionate and friendly, the description of an INFP is not me.

Yup. I have been classed an F by people who don't know me at all before. :dont: If your external circumstances cause you to confuse who you are and how you act, I can see using an X until you figure it out.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Yup. I have been classed an F by people who don't know me at all before. :dont: If your external circumstances cause you to confuse who you are and how you act, I can see using an X until you figure it out.

ok ya i can agree with that, as long as its not in the P/J spot. I use X's almost constantly in the E/I spot. There isn't a significant difference between E and I unless you are one extreme or the other. in fact if im talking about someone else or a type in general ill say XNTJ for example

Harmony

MBTI Type
INFP
It really doesn't even help that the resources for self-typing SUCK.

Your first option is to take a standard MBTI test (mypersonality is a good one, IMO) and verify the type with a description. Problem is, while the test might have been fairly accurate, the descriptions are rife with generalizations, leaving the person confused because they cannot relate completely and wholly with it.

So then you decide to upgrade to the cognitive functions test. In theory, this should be a great system because MBTI is about functions and not generic descriptions. But the test itself is something that I found quite confusing (not to mention that I had codified some of the values that the test expected as Fe into my Fi). So you end up with some garble of abbreviations and percentages and go to the web to decode them.

And after a poorly directed google search, you find a extremely abbreviated article on Jung's cognitive functions. What happens is these sites try to compress what took Thomson's Personality Type a good 20 pages per function into a single page.

So don't be that hard on them...

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP

It appears MBTIc is slowly turning me into a sensor.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
oh lol ok. ya that happens to me a little bit. the test depends on the time, location, mood, current events in your life. its not that your becoming more S. you could also be maturing too.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
What makes very little sense is insisting on putting everybody into a box. What also makes very little sense is making a religious belief out of MBTI. Another thing that makes very little sense is insisting that people force their data reporting to conform to a theory, rather than wondering if the theory may be flawed in some way when the data doesn't fit it.

And another thing. A little research on the reliability of MBTI will show that most people test as three or four types, not just one. It will also show that the F vs. T axis is the most unreliable of the four categories.

Well said, I read the INTP and INFP both apply, some points in one and the other there.Now I'll admit to being slightly more infp.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well said, I read the INTP and INFP both apply, some points in one and the other there.Now I'll admit to being slightly more infp.

i stand by my original, and possibly offensive first post of mine in this thread:

you are probably an INFP who idealizes themselves as being more logical than they really are. i find that is much more common than INTPs who give loads of credence to feelings and lack in INTP cynicism.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
i stand by my original, and possibly offensive first post of mine in this thread:

you are probably an INFP who idealizes themselves as being more logical than they really are. i find that is much more common than INTPs who give loads of credence to feelings and lack in INTP cynicism.

I strongly disagree. Many INTP's get that way when they grow older...

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
They say that 1 out of every 3 people that take the MBTI is in between two or more types. It could be that they didn't understand some of the questions or that they don't have have have a proper understanding of their preferences. I've gotta wonder if there are certain patterns to people being in between types though.

I've tested mostly ENFJ but sometimes ESFJ. Just like Proteanmix and my friend Dave, I could put EXFJ but ENFJ just jives better with me.

On a fuctional level, I believe that if you're an EXXJ there's no way in hell that you don't at least know what your primary function is. You interact with the world by using this function to make decisions. As a result, EXXJ's can be easily narrowed down to EXFJ or EXTJ. On the opposite extreme, I believe that IXXP's might have a much tougher time coming up with their dominant function and so on. Heck, I'd say introverts in general have a harder time narrowing down their type because their dominant is so elusive.

Temperament combined with functional analysis is really the best way to hone in on your type. You can't rely on the resources online. They're very vague compared to PUMII. It's really quite amazing how indepth Keirsey get with the individual temperaments and what they value.

I think I'll go do a cross-section on some aspect of the temperaments now for my daily reading! :)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I don't know about that :/ I think it's possible for some people to be in the middle.. it varies. some people are more introverted than others or more/less extroverted. They can enjoy being with people but also like to be alone sometimes.. When you take the test it even shows the percentages of how extroverted or introverted you are. I think personality can change and not set in stone. for example... I have a high introverted score but that's because I spend most of my time alone and not with others(since I have no friends of my own mostly) if I had good friends and enjoyed their company all the time, I probably would start to become more outgoing and extroverted and get more used to being around other people. My mom used to be really quiet and shy... but when she got older she became much more extroverted, loves socializing and enjoys everyone's company now. I know people are gonna start bashing on me now because I might not know what I'm talking about.. but XD I just don't really see how someone can be one personality type forever.. it will change as the person gets older and changes as well(certain traumatic crossroads or events can be big influences). People might think they have mistyped themselves before, but it could be because they have changed as well compared to before.

i agree but there doesn't seem to be too much of a difference between me and an INFP...the only difference is that Fi is their dominant vs my secondary

In response to both (I realise that's a little offhand but I believe that one statement can be applied equally to both points).

ENFP vs INFP.
Okay so the first two functions are reversed. Big whoop? Well yes because it's less to do with how the functions are arranged and more to do with the differences between the two types.

If you firstly gather information sucking it up like a vacuum and then sort through it to make your ideas then it's probable that you're first function is either S or N. Ergo you're an EP or an IJ.

EP & IJ are annoying because they relay information to you with ALL of those little irrelevancies added in and get sooo irate when you skip over some of them, knowing them to be irrelevant.

IP & EJ are sooo annoying becuase they throw out some information without ever really thinking about it. They don't even consider it. That makes all their conclusions based on information that's full of holes.