• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

X's in type make very little sense

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^You're right, it doesn't make any sense. Why have only three of us seen this?

Do you mean what I said or what he said????

Hmmm...I was hoping someone could clarify the whole thing a bit more, but alas....

Gahhhhhhhhh!!!

Okay, anyway, I guess the solution will never be found. Is a person who is Ne>Fi>Fe>Ni>Ti>Se>Te>Si an ENFP or an ENFJ or an ENFX?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Do you mean what I said or what he said????

Hmmm...I was hoping someone could clarify the whole thing a bit more, but alas....

Gahhhhhhhhh!!!

Okay, anyway, I guess the solution will never be found. Is a person who is Ne>Fi>Fe>Ni>Ti>Se>Te>Si an ENFP or an ENFJ or an ENFX?
It's that people either assume "the leading theory" (one of several) of function order is correct, and base many of their self-assessments on this arbitrary scheme; or they take a test (which may test something meaningful, or not) and use the order it spits out. Either way it's kind of a barbed wire canoe.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ah, who gives a crap? I'm going with my original idea, my type is:

CRAZ.

Problem solved.
:D

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
That's better, LL. *silly smileys and stuff*

Don't think I'm discounting 16-type, I've become a Keirseyan for the most part. +some socionics.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's better, LL. *silly smileys and stuff*

Don't think I'm discounting 16-type, I've become a Keirseyan for the most part. +some socionics.

You're a Keirseyan? I'm a crazy fart - pleased to meet ya! ;) :D *holds out hand*

Nahhh, but seriously - how is that all that different?? (Yeah, I'm an ignorant person, but at least I admit it and ask questions to correct it).

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Keirsey doesn't use functional analysis. I think he explains it in Please Understand Me II but I haven't read it in years.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
In my case, it's because my best-fit type doesn't fit all that well. The closest thing I've come to is INFP, but I don't feel much kinship with other INFPs for the most part. I'm way more J than my husband but too indecisive to think J in general. And I'm the most T in my family-- which isn't saying much, but it skews my perspective. Basically I don't think I'm capable of objectivity and I can't quite identify the middles, so I reserve judgment.

Also I kind of like being an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, shrouded in mystery.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Keirsey doesn't use functional analysis. I think he explains it in Please Understand Me II but I haven't read it in years.

Hmm...I'd read the book, but I'm a conundrum. ;) Nahhh, I guess I'll have to take a look. :D

Usehername

On a mission
1. It's not a true scientific theory.
2. People are complex.
3. As with anything, nature vs. nuture ALWAYS interact. Sometimes it's difficult to pull out what's nature in an environment that has demanded otherwise for a long time.
4. Some "x"s make more sense than others if you are a CP theorist. (i.e. INxJ makes sense b/c you can still identify yourself as an Ni dom, yet INTx doesn't as much, because you'd either be Ni/Te or Ti/Ne which are very different ways of being, and very different ways of interacting with the world.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In my case, it's because my best-fit type doesn't fit all that well. The closest thing I've come to is INFP, but I don't feel much kinship with other INFPs for the most part. And I'm the most T in my family-- which isn't saying much, but it skews my perspective. Basically I don't think I'm capable of objectivity so I reserve judgment.

Also I kind of like being an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, shrouded in mystery.

Sweet, then you know how I feel! :) Or think? Heh.

Well, anyway, I guess I will just have to do more research to see what I am. Self-knoweldge is essential.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Kiersey couldn't use functional analysis because some types that have opposite cognitive processes are not opposite temperaments.

For instance: The opposite of the ENTJs' cognitive processes (Te Ni Se Fi) is ISFP (Fi Se Ni Te) but the opposite of it's temperament (abstract utilitarian) is not the ISFP temperament (concrete utilitarian), it's concrete cooperator.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
^Keirsey decided to avoid the problem because temperament is observable while function use isn't, necessarily.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^Keirsey decided to avoid the problem because temperament is observable while function use isn't, necessarily.

Are there any good online resources, or does one necessarily have to buy the book?

CharmedFantasy

MBTI Type
IxFJ
I put myself as ISFJ/INFJ because I can relate to some descriptions of both of them(compared to all other types those two resemble me best)... although I do lean more towards N I think. However I don't relate to Everything that is in one or the other, it's like alittle of both... so why can't I put both of them in? o_O I don't really see why someone has to be completely one type and expect them to be everything it describes them to be. We are not clones o.o but w/e it's not a huge deal to me >.>. I like both! so hah!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Animated furry avatar is pretty much shoe-in for NF, don't you think? :)

MBTI Type
ENTP

I don't think they're that different. Temperament is just more holistic and harder to falsify because you're going from generals to particulars. Any outliers can be lumped into 'things that aren't MBTI'.