• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

X's in type make very little sense

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, hell, it told me I'm NF. DOH, I knew that already!!!!!!!

MBTI Type
ENTP
OK those are good things right?

It is if you like to think of your identity as one giant venn diagram.
I personally think that's cool. To others, it might make them cry.

here's one for this thread
venn_diagram_example.gif

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I think of my life more as an egg that fell off the counter and better get busy livin' before it hits the floor. /Deep.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I put myself as ISFJ/INFJ because I can relate to some descriptions of both of them(compared to all other types those two resemble me best)... although I do lean more towards N I think. However I don't relate to Everything that is in one or the other, it's like alittle of both... so why can't I put both of them in? o_O I don't really see why someone has to be completely one type and expect them to be everything it describes them to be. We are not clones o.o but w/e it's not a huge deal to me >.>. I like both! so hah!

People show their inferior function when stressed though. Yours and mine both is Se.

I notice when I'm stressed out and I test I get ISTJ. This might be a connection. Or it might be that you're really just IXFJ.

Maybe this helps.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
As one of those X people, it's not cause I really believe I'm an X because I don't. I pretty sure of my type and which function the X is supposedly replacing.

I keep an X in my profile to make other people work harder figuring out which I am (if they care to investigate). And I figure the least understood/stereotyped function on this forum is Sensing and one of the least understood temperaments is SJ. You think you know, but you have no idea. Plus sometimes I like scarring the NTPs. It's fun! :cool:

But as for being an INTx or ESFx, it's not possible. The only time I think that about someone is if I can tell they're an extrovert, a feeler, and use sensing, or whatever but can't figure out if they're ESFJ or ESFP or whatever.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It is if you like to think of your identity as one giant venn diagram.
I personally think that's cool. To others, it might make them cry.

here's one for this thread
venn_diagram_example.gif

Yeah, I would be one of the people who qualifies as being 'very confused.'

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I also dislike seeing "X" in self-typing. But, I admit that there is a problem with the system of tests that apply percentages to I/E, F/T, etc. What if you get 50%? Then you really are an "X?" But, the functions are opposed. I suppose the most easy opposition to see is the I/E function. If you are energized by being around groups of people, you are E, if you are drained by it, you are I. You cannot be both; the energy can only move in one direction, one way. You may not be extremely introverted in which case only a little energy is drained, but there you are.

I think a test/method of determining type which leaves someone with an "X" just needs to be refined a bit to more deeply measure or illuminate certain variables.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am an INTJ, but I know I'm low in T. What that does is in certain interactions I relate more like an INFJ would I have found. It doesn't mean I am an INFJ during those moments (well sometimes I feel I almost relate but still), but will sometimes act a tad differently. As long as you have the same dominant cognitive function, I think an X is possible but we need to define what it means (in my case you can cross over in some life functions but not completely flip flop at a whim. Personal growth in a way.)

CharmedFantasy

MBTI Type
IxFJ
As one of those X people, it's not cause I really believe I'm an X because I don't. I pretty sure of my type and which function the X is supposedly replacing.

I keep an X in my profile to make other people work harder figuring out which I am (if they care to investigate). And I figure the least understood/stereotyped function on this forum is Sensing and one of the least understood temperaments is SJ. You think you know, but you have no idea. Plus sometimes I like scarring the NTPs. It's fun! :cool:

yeah that's also kind of why i put an x. so people can just figure me out for themselves also if they want to get to know me and not just assume I'm everything in one category. My first introduction thread was like that tooo :/ I rather people who are interested will look and find me ;o instead of everyone viewing me because of just one type they searching for :p

but I guess overall I do relate to infj more.. but i don't care :eek: i'm just gonna keep ixfj to make you all irritated :p hehe jking, i'm also too lazy to change it! I'll be either lol

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
An ENFx has both Ne and Fe? Ne affected by Fi and Fe affected by Ni? To be comfortable using Feeling and Intuition BOTH introverted and extroverted sounds like being a superhero to me. Are their functions more numerous albeit underdeveloped? What's the story?

im glad someone pointed this out. X's in any place of a type is kind of pointless (except in the E/I case, I could possibly see that). they just mean it as a placeholder

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Why are placeholders pointless?
And how the hell is anybody bothered by other people using the X? :mellow:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Why are placeholders pointless?
And how the hell is anybody bothered by other people using the X? :mellow:
Having suggested the idea to my father he is more disappointed by the usage of Xs. A person is either E or I in his book and never perfectly in the middle.

I must admit to not really liking them. It seems to be an exercise in avoidance to me and I find that disconcerting. Is the person not happy with their type and hence defaces it or is it true confusion? Are they merely messing with the system? Is there a point to the X or is it just a placeholder? Why don't they just miss it out all together?

Personally I get the same kind of twinge when people insist on pronouncing h as "haitch" and not "aitch".... there again I also dislike toffee...

CharmedFantasy

MBTI Type
IxFJ
Having suggested the idea to my father he is more disappointed by the usage of Xs. A person is either E or I in his book and never perfectly in the middle.

I must admit to not really liking them. It seems to be an exercise in avoidance to me and I find that disconcerting. Is the person not happy with their type and hence defaces it or is it true confusion? Are they merely messing with the system? Is there a point to the X or is it just a placeholder? Why don't they just miss it out all together?

Personally I get the same kind of twinge when people insist on pronouncing h as "haitch" and not "aitch".... there again I also dislike toffee...

I don't know about that :/ I think it's possible for some people to be in the middle.. it varies. some people are more introverted than others or more/less extroverted. They can enjoy being with people but also like to be alone sometimes.. When you take the test it even shows the percentages of how extroverted or introverted you are. I think personality can change and not set in stone. for example... I have a high introverted score but that's because I spend most of my time alone and not with others(since I have no friends of my own mostly) if I had good friends and enjoyed their company all the time, I probably would start to become more outgoing and extroverted and get more used to being around other people. My mom used to be really quiet and shy... but when she got older she became much more extroverted, loves socializing and enjoys everyone's company now. I know people are gonna start bashing on me now because I might not know what I'm talking about.. but XD I just don't really see how someone can be one personality type forever.. it will change as the person gets older and changes as well(certain traumatic crossroads or events can be big influences). People might think they have mistyped themselves before, but it could be because they have changed as well compared to before.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
place holders are pointless unless its I/E because if its in the J/P spot...well that messes everything up...for example

Im and ENFP (Ne, Fi, Te, Si)
If i was and ENFJ (Fe, Ni, Se, Ti)

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1

i agree but there doesn't seem to be too much of a difference between me and an INFP...the only difference is that Fi is their dominant vs my secondary

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
place holders are pointless unless its I/E because if its in the J/P spot...well that messes everything up...for example

Im and ENFP (Ne, Fi, Te, Si)
If i was and ENFJ (Fe, Ni, Se, Ti)

Do all ENFPs and ENFJs have that order?

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
more examples:

ESTJ (Te, Si, Ne, Fi)
ESTP (Se, Ti, Fe, Ni)

ENTJ (Te, Ni, Se, Fi)
ENTP (Ne, Ti, Fe, Si)

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I didn't even check the thread but ya. I mean everyone has to use the other functions. But you use the other functions in a very synthetic way. If you want, go on aim and aim me at ohyathatmike, i would be happy to explain it.