• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Guilt Tripping: Which MBTI types do it the most?

which MBTI type guilt trips the most?

• ENTP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENFP

• ENTJ

• ENFJ

• ESTJ

• ESTP

• ESFJ

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • ESFP

• INFP

• INFJ

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • INTP

• INTJ

• ISTJ

• ISTP

• ISFP

• ISFJ

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • not type related

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
After a weekend of having my father visiting and having him guilt trip me and my children very callously, but seemingly unconsciously, I felt like putting it out here.

Is this MBTI type related at all?

Please share your experiences with others guilt tripping you.

Or if you guilt trip, please explain your experiences as well..

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

True but I'd put INFJ/ENFJ high up there in terms of emotional manipulation/guilt tripping too. In the end, I think it's more dependent on the person/type being guilt tripped than the person doing the guilt tripping. There are people that don't respond to it.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After a weekend of having my father visiting and having him guilt trip me and my children very callously, but seemingly unconsciously, I felt like putting it out here.

Is this MBTI type related at all?

Please share your experiences with others guilt tripping you.

Or if you guilt trip, please explain your experiences as well..

I don't believe it's type-related at all, necessarily. Any type can utilize this manipulation tactic in an unhealthy attempt to meet some internal need [for emotional validation/control over a situation/person, or otherwise satisfy whatever Emotional Baggage Stuff you want to insert here]. Perhaps, based on type, it will present itself in various colors/textures/intensities... some more c/overt than others... but in the end, I'm pretty sure any type is capable of employing 'guilt-tripping,' & I doubt the frequency varies much between the types. It's a behavior related to emotionally stunted people, and any type can have underdeveloped coping mechanisms that manifest in behaviors like this.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
True but I'd put INFJ/ENFJ high up there in terms of emotional manipulation/guilt tripping too. In the end, I think it's more dependent on the person/type being guilt tripped than the person doing the guilt tripping. There are people that don't respond to it.

I don't guilt trip at all. I find it offensive.

Guilt tripping isn't mere emotional pushing or pulling. It is my 81 years old father telling my 3 year old daughter (with zero emotion in his voice, demeanor, etc) that it makes him sad when she does what she wants to do rather what he wants her to do, causing her to run to her room crying, with him showing no emotion after this.

For my father, it is merely a tool for manipulating others, but one he does coldly, without feeling or emotion.

He is a ISTJ. I hear his mom's voice in his guilt tripping. She was a ESTJ..

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, I think any type can guilt trip. Just like how any type can be passive-aggressive or actually-aggressive or any other style of communication. Depends on how their environment told them they needed to behave.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't guilt trip at all. I find it offensive.

Did I say you, personally, guilt trip? No I did not. But I know more than two ENFJ's and they do guilt trip - it is the main weapon in their arsenal. Mostly due to being emotional midgets and having a small vocabulary, as well as being nauseatingly weak people.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
people with the potential to lead cults. and mom's

Hank

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The only three people I can think of that have intentionally and non-jokingly guilt tripped me are an ESTJ, an ESFJ, and an INFJ. Most anyone else that guilt trips me usually isn't doing so intentionally--they're simply stating facts that eat at my conscience. Either that, or they're being really sneaky about guilt-tripping me.

Either way, I don't feel like doling out guilt trips is related to type. Maybe a Te or Fe dom/aux user would be more acclimated to seeing the consequences of actions and pointing out poor results, but going so far as to use that observation to force people to do things doesn't seem type-related. If anything, I feel like the only type-related aspect would be how successful the guilt trip is. As a broad generalization, I would expect that a "you made this person feel bad"-type trip would be less effective on a Thinker than on a Feeler, but a "you made an illogical decision that will create these problems"-type trip might swing a Thinker more than a Feeler.

EDIT: Actually, I just had a thought--maybe it's related to shadow functions? Is there a function that could be used in a negative way to coerce someone into doing something? My first thought is Ne, but I don't know.

EDIT again (sorry!): Coincidentally, ESTJ's and ESFJ's use Ne as a third function, which they might engage if they were in shadow mode. (Is that the right term for that? I'm going to use it, anyway. It sounds like something from Transformers.) INFJ's don't, of course, but maybe it could be Fe-related, too? Dunno.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting, all the people saying that ESTJs guilt trip. Obviously I can't speak for all ESTJs, but I know from experience that I have a tendency to accidentally make people feel guilty about things. My intent is never to create guilt, but to create change, or at the very least to make my opinion known for the record, on principle.

My experience with Fe guilt tripping has been very different. Angry ExFJs and INTPs, especially, seem to be prone towards intentional guilt tripping. The wrathful kind. (I specify INTPs with two very different INTPs in mind: my father, and Walter White.)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Interesting, all the people saying that ESTJs guilt trip. Obviously I can't speak for all ESTJs, but I know from experience that I have a tendency to accidentally make people feel guilty about things. My intent is never to create guilt, but to create change, or at the very least to make my opinion known for the record, on principle.

My experience with Fe guilt tripping has been very different. Angry ExFJs and INTPs, especially, seem to be prone towards intentional guilt tripping. The wrathful kind. (I specify INTPs with two very different INTPs in mind: my father, and Walter White.)

to be fair you've never made me feel guilty. pissed me off, yes, guilt, no

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The only person I'm aware of who I know guilt trips me is my ENFP mother.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
people with the potential to lead cults. and mom's

The only person I'm aware of who I know guilt trips me is my ENFP mother.

yes... mothers :thelook:

my mom's idea of punishment if I did something bad growing up was to guilt trip me (unlike my dad's favorite method of punishing which was doing the extra un-fun farm work)... it worked quite well on me because I learned to become much sneakier and NOT get caught, but still feel bad about things. It never worked on my sister, who kind of shrugged it off and decided that it wasn't a real punishment, so they took to grounding her. :laugh:

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
yes... mothers :thelook:

my mom's idea of punishment if I did something bad growing up was to guilt trip me (unlike my dad's favorite method of punishing which was doing the extra un-fun farm work)... it worked quite well on me because I learned to become much sneakier and NOT get caught, but still feel bad about things. It never worked on my sister, who kind of shrugged it off and decided that it wasn't a real punishment, so they took to grounding her. :laugh:

Mine calls me and asks for money (I don't have any) and chews me out for not being a good kid when I say no. Also does that when she calls me to tell me to do something (I'm 21 and I don't live with her) when I refuse to drop everything I'm doing to help her with 0 notice

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Would you care to explore this? It sounds just like my dad. He guilt trips in obvious intent to create change and seems obvious to creating suffering in others.

He made my 3 year old daughter run to her room crying with his guilt tripping and he expressed no emotion. He also didn't have any emotion when he told my daughter that it makes him sad when she does what she wants rather than rather than what he wanted.

Do you care about the hurting others when you guilt trip? Or is this not a factor? Do you care after the fact? Or, as long as change occurred, it is OK?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It's not hard to make me feel guilty, lol. #SJproblems #lawfulgoodproblems #problems #hashtag

I was actually thinking, that if we were in a proffessional situation or academic you might be able to, because perfectionist do that to me, like i see them doing all this stuff and getting like 90s on everything and 100s and organizing the pens by color and ink level, and some of them (maybe not you) tend to call me lazy and blah blah blah because mostly i am, but also how do you know how much ink level is in the pen? and i don't work with people watching, so i work quietly in private alone. and the pens can organize themselves

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Mine calls me and asks for money (I don't have any) and chews me out for not being a good kid when I say no. Also does that when she calls me to tell me to do something (I'm 21 and I don't live with her) when I refuse to drop everything I'm doing to help her with 0 notice

I'm sorry :(

mine hasn't found a reason to guilt trip me other than not visiting frequently enough (they're over an hour away) and even then it's quite mild because I'm the good kid who calls every week and remembers her birthday and stuff like that. Any time I did get in any trouble though she'd start to cry and say that she'd tried so hard to raise me better than that and it made me convinced for a moment that I was a definite disappointment :unsure: