• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do types perceive IQ tests?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Well, you seem to have made my point before me... I guess this post was meaningless. :blush:

It never is. Even if our posts may seem redundant somehow, the main idea here is to share as much opinions as possible, so we can see if there's a pattern (or not, or something else, who knows?).

So you're welcome, and I thank you. :)

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Just did an IQ test, for the first time in my life. Look I am a genius xD

l150.gif

Free IQ Test - IQ Test Score
Beat ya!

l153.gif

I don't think type has anything to do with how people view IQ tests. However, type does have a strong influence over shoe preference.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It never is. Even if our posts may seem redundant somehow, the main idea here is to share as much opinions as possible, so we can see if there's a pattern (or not, or something else, who knows?).

So you're welcome, and I thank you. :)

:hug: You too!

So, you may have a consensus among ENTPs, but what about SJs? Where my peeps at???? What do you guys think? (I'm thinking that our Ne sarcasm that Blackmail was talking about will have something to do with our opinion on the subject.)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
From my SJ's dudes I know, they dont care about IQ tests. But if they could score in a particular moment with them, they would. But who wouldnt ? xD

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't see much use for them, personally. But if you do, more power to ya.

That's the same attitude I have about a lot of things, though. ;)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Well, I've got some mix of ideas. In a summary, IQ and the so-called "mathematical" intelligence or whatnot actually means hell of a lot, and so-called "body-kinestetic-IQ" and other similar are completely bogus, along with "dancing techno in moonlight with candle wax in your ears-IQ".

Those alternate IQ ideas spawn up for some reason, god knows why.

Then again, IQ is about adaptive leverage, having some capability that would enhance your survival, well-being and propagation of genes. So it's about success? We can measure whatever is valued at some place at any one moment, and say that the successful ones have high IQ? I think not.

The classic IQ is the most worthy "IQ" to be thought of, tho other issues matter a great deal. Things like skills, knowledge, etc. Many things that are trainable for the most part, like sociability and such.

I think I have an amalgam of values, where success alone, and not theoretical test-performance alone can measure an individual's capability. Measures that include anything from 20% to 80% of each variable are acceptable to me.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i used to be obsessed with IQ tests. i would score above the average (120-130. nothing too crazy) and i kinda liked it. anything for me to get to know myself is a good thing. however, when i took a psychology class ad they told me that IQ tests were made to test how well kids will do in school, i was highly unimpressed. it doesn't really test intelligence at all, but how much of the stuff you've learned and retained. it only calculates the results and not the process itself. furthermore, as CC stated, creativity etc. is simply unmentioned. that's just shit.

i can see why IQ tests have their place in the world but i'm always gonna take that information with a grain of salt.

ygolo

My termites win
Beat ya!

l153.gif

I don't think type has anything to do with how people view IQ tests. However, type does have a strong influence over shoe preference.

Meaningless drivel.

l160.gif

Actually, correlation with abstract-logical and/or pattern matching activities makes sense. But there is a lot more to intelligence. I thikn the multiple-intelligence model is more accurate. IQ, I thought, had been debated to death on this forum.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Well, again, we seem to have a quick consensus amongst ENTPs (just like we had on ENTP.org)... I'm not that surprised, as ENTPs usually tend to criticize any normative systems, and IQ tests sure are one. Ne-Ti is a very destructive/sarcastic axis, as much as it is enthusiastic/creative.

But I would be curious to listen what the other side has to say. And, if possible, which functions are involved. There are people who enjoy IQ tests; let's see why...
The object of this thread is not to criticize their preference, but to understand it, how it is so.

Well I personally "enjoy" them because I am good at the tasks contained in IQ tests and I find them to be "fun". But that's all...

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
The original purpose of IQ was to be a predictor for which children would be successful as adults.
Not even that. IQ tests were originally developed to organize French school children into specific classes. It was only after the tests were translated into English and shipped to America that they became associated with success. Binet himself was starkly against the use of I.Q. in this manner and publicly decried against it (Fancher, 1985). The I.Q. test that we know today was the invention of Lewis Terman of Stanford University, hence the name, the Stanford-Binet I.Q. Test.

I guess IQ as a normal distributed probability measurement of the performance of the brain is definitly a Te thing.
But I think you mean that Te-types would especially be attracted to concepts like IQ?
Only when that method of quantification is not obviously false. I think they’re rubbish. Few of the Mensa Club’s members have actually gone on to any form of prominence, the original tests failed to even define what they were specifically attempting to measure, there have been various accusations of racist and sexist leaning throughout its 100 years of practice, famed scientists throughout history have tested poorly on the test, correct answers on the test are meant to line up with the conventional thinking process of the test makers, historical genius has more to do with creativity than the aspects the tests attempt to measure, I.Q. shows no correlation with creativity after the 120 I.Q. benchmark, and while I.Q. has been linked to a rather vague idea of success actual net worth has shown no scientific correlation. It’s a good thing that this method has been falling out of favor lately; its now being replaced by various forms of the multiple intelligence theory instead.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
god damn it!

l155.gif

second best, o well :D. this is a very liberal IQ test, or maybe i just tried harder on this one.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Meaningless drivel.

l160.gif

Actually, correlation with abstract-logical and/or pattern matching activities makes sense. But there is a lot more to intelligence. I thikn the multiple-intelligence model is more accurate. IQ, I thought, had been debated to death on this forum.
Well, I took that test with my brain at 50% capacity due to lack of sleep. That would put my IQ at over 300 if I was operating at full capacity. :cool:

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Isn't IQ one of those magic subjects, like income and penis-size, that people always lie about?

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
The average score they pretend to achieve is just statistically impossible (1). And moreover, a lot seem to believe very strongly to an unchecked and very unreliable source claiming that INTJs would have the best IQs overall (Even if this contradicts the only real scientific study made on this subject).

The INTJs posting their IQs are not representative, so you cannot say it is statistically impossible. INTJs with low IQ scores compared to the rest will simply not post them... You should also note forum posters on MBTI boards are probably not representative at all either. Many have probably taken several tests and only post their best result as well.

As far as INTJs and IQ goes, they are among the most intelligent types, with an average IQ of 110 or something along those lines. INTPs are the most intelligent though. It's true the source they refer to is ridiculous.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
The INTJs posting their IQs are not representative, so you cannot say it is statistically impossible. INTJs with low IQ scores compared to the rest will simply not post them...

No.

I only considered the odd that dozens of people of 150+ IQ could suddenly met together on the same fora, and found 1 out of several trillions.

A lot pretented to have 160+ and higher. Well, there should be only a few thousand people like this in the whole USA. Three dared to reach 170+. Since one was currently living in Chicago, he probably was the smartest man alive in the whole Chicago urban area... Should I continue?
We don't even have that amount of high IQs in Harvard or the MIT, so what the hell would they be doing on INTJ-f? :glasses:

And again, it wasn't just one occasional liar or two, as the whole forum was like this. Only a few INTJ (the most rational ones, a minority) had the courage to explain that the whole thread was a statistical nonsense.

---

You can also check the INTJ self-descriptions you can gather on youtube, and you will quickly notice that IQs and alleged intelligence superiority is one of their obsessions.
Everywhere you find INTJ or so-called INTJs, you will see this trend. So my question is why?

Many have probably taken several tests and only post their best result as well.

Doesn't change my point, because it means they are liars too. :nono:

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
No.

I only considered the odd that dozens of people of 150+ IQ could suddenly met together on the same fora, and found 1 out of several trillions.

A lot pretented to have 160+ and higher. Well, there should be only a few thousand people like this in the whole USA. Three dared to reach 170+. Since one was currently living in Chicago, he probably was the smartest man alive in the whole Chicago metropolis... Should I continue?
We don't even have that amount of high IQs in Harvard or the MIT, so what the hell would they be doing on INTJ-f? :glasses:

And again, it wasn't just one occasional liar or two, as the whole forum was like this. Only a few INTJ (the most rational ones, a minority) had the courage to explain that the whole thread was a statistical nonsense.

Doesn't change my point, because it means they are liars too. :nono:

Well, I haven't read the actual thread, but it seems to me like you are making the assumption these INTJs are representative, and they aren't. People who post their IQ are different from people who don't, and people who post on MBTI boards are different from those who don't. Both groups are probably more intelligent than the average person. Extreme IQs like 160+ are also very hard to measure, and let's say these people have taken many tests, many bad online tests even, and are just posting their best result, while they in reality are let's say people with IQs of 150, that's quite believable. Also most of these people are talking about ratio IQs probably, and not deviation IQs, making their scores far less extreme. Some might be lying just to prove how stupid IQ tests are though, some as experiments...

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Isn't IQ one of those magic subjects, like income and penis-size, that people always lie about?

Now that's a smart answer. But if you ask this question on INTJ-f, most people will tell you that INTJs never lie, as they are supposed to be "the most objective" type.
Indeed, they usually are. But why are they here, suddenly in self-denial?
That's an interesting mystery.

Nonetheless... If I follow your idea, maybe we can correlate the need to brag about high IQ with a particular lack of self-assurance?

Maybe we can relate this trend to one of their most terrifying fear, so overwhelming that they temporarily lose the ability to remain objective? :unsure: