• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is having a tendency to give someone the benefit of the doubt associated with F?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
So, as the title states, is this associated with feeling or nothing at all?

I've noticed that people tend to harp on me for being too lenient of others. Whether it's in feeling bad for someone when I'm grading an exam or whether it's noticing that some girl is having an attitude not because she's an asshole, but because I can understand where she's coming from. I just seem to be more likely to understand the scenario of others or feel bad for others more often than many of my peers seem to. :shrug:

So do you think this is related to feeling at all or is it merely an unrelated trait that I have? (Disregard the type in my profile.)

Little_Sticks

I think it has something to do with being sensitive to the emotions of other people. You're aware of them more than other people, it seems. As for applying that to MBTI, I'd rather not...

/DG/

I think it has something to do with being sensitive to the emotions of other people. You're aware of them more than other people, it seems. As for applying that to MBTI, I'd rather not...

Well, this is an MBTI forum after all. Why not humor me a bit?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't give benefit of doubt. I sit in 50/50. Right in middle until I find out truth.

I see F swinging both ways, negative and positive.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I've noticed that people tend to harp on me for being too lenient of others. Whether it's in feeling bad for someone when I'm grading an exam or whether it's noticing that some girl is having an attitude not because she's an asshole, but because I can understand where she's coming from. I just seem to be more likely to understand the scenario of others or feel bad for others more often than many of my peers seem to. :shrug:

So do you think this is related to feeling at all or is it merely an unrelated trait that I have? (Disregard the type in my profile.)

I don't know that feelers have a corner on this market but in my experience, they appear to. This may be because they have a higher ability to be empathetic and that's fine but it can often steer them wrong and some do it over and over. Maybe it's less about type and more about enneagram - not sure.

/DG/

It really depends because sometimes you'll meet stubborn feelers who will do anything but.

Right, and I'm also guilty of the total opposite of the OP. It's just far less common.

I don't know that feelers have a corner on this market but in my experience, they appear to. This may be because they have a higher ability to be empathetic and that's fine but it can often steer them wrong and some do it over and over. Maybe it's less about type and more about enneagram - not sure.

What enneagram are you thinking?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
What enneagram are you thinking?

Maybe 2, although that might be an appearance thing to show leniency or maybe 6 because of indecision or doubt.

/DG/

Maybe 2, although that might be an appearance thing to show leniency or maybe 6 because of indecision or doubt.

What if you remove indecision from the equation? Then it's solely type 2?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
maybe :shrug: i find i have more empathy in some situations than others. and depends what my frame of reference is, if their problem is relatable to me i usually have a quite a bit. if i can't relate at all i have none. and that doesn't make me bad or defective, took me a long time to realize this. its just i don't have a similar experience. and even if i do sometimes i'm so far removed that i don't remember it very well and then i also can't relate. but the thing is, sometimes people go through shit, and its sometimes hard to be empathetic to others when you yourself is also having a hard time and feeling like no one will understand or believe you. but yeah i tend to be a lot more empathetic to people fucking up on assignment in school, especially if it's a one time thing and it becomes clear there's other shit. not sure how this relates to mbti though. because i think most people have the capacity to feel empathy but you have to look at their frame reference to see where the empathy comes out.

perhaps f's would be more likely to admit it to themselves than t's?

Little_Sticks

Well, this is an MBTI forum after all. Why not humor me a bit?

yeah alright I guess. Well, what you wrote sounds like you are internalizing other people; you've created an understanding of their subjective states, whether right or wrong or accurate or not. It's probably because you are a bit more aware or sensitive to others. This focus on internalizing others suggests you are oriented towards introversion, whereas your peers sound inclined to ignore or be unaware of this and are probably much more extroverted than you, caring more about how to influence, direct, or affect others, rather than understanding where they are coming from.

So it is more or less introversion, but whether T or F or N or S really depends on context and how you internalize everything and what it means to you.

happy? ;)

/DG/

maybe :shrug: i find i have more empathy in some situations than others. and depends what my frame of reference is, if their problem is relatable to me i usually have a quite a bit. if i can't relate at all i have none. and that doesn't make me bad or defective, took me a long time to realize this. its just i don't have a similar experience. and even if i do sometimes i'm so far removed that i don't remember it very well and then i also can't relate. but the thing is, sometimes people go through shit, and its sometimes hard to be empathetic to others when you yourself is also having a hard time and feeling like no one will understand or believe you. but yeah i tend to be a lot more empathetic to people fucking up on assignment in school, especially if it's a one time thing and it becomes clear there's other shit. not sure how this relates to mbti though. because i think most people have the capacity to feel empathy but you have to look at their frame reference to see where the empathy comes out.

perhaps f's would be more likely to admit it to themselves than t's?

It's weird. People often describe Fi as empathy and Fe as sympathy, but I don't know that that's very accurate. You're right though. Nearly everyone (save for sociopaths) can feel empathy. It isn't solely a feeler trait.

I don't know what to think.

:thinking:

yeah alright I guess. Well, what you wrote sounds like you are internalizing other people; you've created an understanding of their subjective states, whether right or wrong or accurate or not. It's probably because you are a bit more aware or sensitive to others. This focus on internalizing others suggests you are oriented towards introversion, whereas your peers sound inclined to ignore or be unaware of this and are probably much more extroverted than you, caring more about how to influence, direct, or affect others, rather than understanding where they are coming from.

So it is more or less introversion, but whether T or F or N or S really depends on context and how you internalize everything and what it means to you.

happy? ;)

Actually, I am happy, yeah. I'd like to have as many responses and opinions as possible. Yours is interesting in that it's very different from anyone else's opinion.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

I see it as a general trait of feeling (both Fi and Fe).
However I also associate this with P and relaxed lifestyles as well.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I will often give people the benefit of the doubt, but I see it also as more rope to hang themselves with.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't think its an F thing. I think its probably more of a P thing. My approach towards people is somewhat skeptical but not pessimistic. I don't usually assume anything negative about people until I've observed enough to start pondering a logical theory as to why they may be fucked up.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thinkers tend to filter decisions through a logical process, so when they give people in general the benefit of the doubt, there would be a reason for it that could be rationally explained. I think this can be different in very personal relationships, because Rationalists may have a tendency to want their personal connection to work and not have to make a bunch of changes, so it requires less emotional processing to give those close people the benefit of the doubt. These are all generalities and would not always be the case.

Feelers who are idealists could have more of a tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt because they desire the world to be filled with peaceful, happy, positive interactions. Also, from a purely emotional, empathy standpoint, there are always reasons why people behave badly, and very often those reasons evoke concern. I find that in most cases if I lived the person's actual life, I suspect I would be the same as they are, so it makes it difficult to desire to punish or dismiss people. I've learn "cautious compassion" because people who have genuine pain and difficulty in their life often use it to control others and get whatever they desire.

Also, from a Feeler perspective, giving people the benefit of the doubt, assuming the best, can offer people a reputation to live up to. People often respond to meet your expectations. If you think someone is a jerk and send out signals that you expect that from them, they will often respond as a jerk. If you expect someone to be kind and communicate that, they will often respond on their best behavior.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Perhaps it has more to do with your own perspectives in life, and whether you see everyone as generally good, or not. Maybe not. I tend to believe everyone is generally good, but may have poor guidance here and there, so I often give the benefit of the doubt. Or, if I know someone has done something wrong, I'm also generally very forgiving. Who knows though, it could also be my F at work...