• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you decide what your dominant function is?

SwimmerGal97

I definitely fall on the Ti-Fe spectrum and the Si-Ne one but I'm unsure how to order them. How do you determine which ones dominant?

VagrantFarce

Based on what you said, your only options are:

ISFJ - dominant Introverted Sensing
ESFJ - dominant Extroverted Feeling
INTP - dominant Introverted Thinking
ENTP - dominant Extroverted Intuition

Determining function order is the one place the ordinary MBTI axes are really useful. In fact, because the pool of possible types for you is so small, you only need to answer this question:

1. Am I an Extrovert or Introvert?

...and one of the following:

2a. Am I a Judger or Perceiver?
2b. Am I a Senser or Intuitor?
2c. Am I a Thinker or Feeler?

...to narrow down a type.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Try them all out for size and see which one fits.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You could always decide what inferior function fits, first. Checking out the various Naomi Quenk descriptions of types "in the grip" of their inferior -- or any other descriptions you want. I personally like the Naomi Quenk ones best. You can find them on TypeC, Personality Cafe, and elsewhere on the Internet.

I never had any question of what MBTI type I was -- tested as ESTJ from the beginning -- but I can still vouch for it being a more relatable way to reinforce your type decision. Dominant functions feel like a given. Like autopilot. Whereas inferior functions are so heightened and awful that there's no mistaking them for anything else.

Last edited:

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You could always decide what inferior function fits, first. Checking out the various Naomi Quenk descriptions of types "in the grip" of their inferior -- or any other descriptions you want. I personally like the Naomi Quenk ones best. You can find them on TypeC, Personality Cafe, and elsewhere on the Internet.

This is what finally helped me see I was really a ENFJ rather than a INFJ, well that and everyone saying a react and act too fast for a INFJ....

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ne, definitely. Even more than Ti though I was not fully convinced at first. But then I investigated the lower functions a bit more and found that I relate better to the ENTP stack over the INTP stack. Basically, my Ne and Ti are fairly strong but my Si sucks and I tend to be Fe-ish in general. I'm always scanning the world around me for information trying to link or connect more and more things. I tend to 'zoom out' when analyzing information more than zero in. I like getting a big picture sky view of things and seeing how its all connected rather like looking at a city grid from an airplane or helicopter window.

Oh, I should add as I have gotten older I've become a little more Si-ish in terms of cataloging information, being careful, and staying strong and stable instead of flighty and reckless. lol.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Also indicative of Ne I have this constant stream of ideas like I'm hooked up to some super web of perception. Even when I'm writing I find it hard to stay completely focused because I conjure more and more information as I go. Sometimes its so much that its fairly easy to miss the details ( like little spelling and grammatical mistakes, lol) because my mind is being saturated diverging ideas.