• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensing/iNtuiting Game: Perceiving Differences

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
This game shows how a preference for Sensing or iNtuiting affects what you pick up on. If you are not sure if you prefer Sensing or iNtuiting, you may find value in observing what people with different perceiving preferences notice.

Participants:
  • Active Players (people who are sure of your perceiving preference and are comfortable sharing)
  • The Chorus (people who are unsure of your perceiving preference or who would simply prefer not to be an active player)
The game:
  • Choose one of the images below.
  • Avoid reading any other player's responses before replying.
  • Record what you notice about the image.
Rules for Active Players:
In your post:
  • Identify which image you chose.
  • Identify your Type, if it's not included in your profile.
  • Record what you notice, as you notice it. Try to capture your first impressions.
Rules for the Chorus:
Please let a few active players post before joining the discussion. After that, you're welcome to comment and ask questions.

1. A Tower
  2. A Space
  3. A Painting

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Image: A Space

Type: INFJ

Outside it's night...late at night or early morning. It's a gallery in a museum, but it's either just been purchased, or just been abandonned--the floors are still clean, though the light is not. There are plants just off screen, and the next room is bright as if it's lit with neon lights. Now I'm starting to think it's daylight outside. Perhaps this is a space of light and dark, day and night. The room I see the most of feels abandonned, but the bit of the next room I see feel occupied. The next room's light looks cleaner and more like daylight than this room. This room feels haunted and lonely. The plants bother me now because I don't know if they are a reflection or if they are in an alcove. The reflection in the window gives me the impression this main room looks exactly the same behind "us" and is symmetrical.

s0532

MBTI Type
INTP
Tower Image.

Kind of an unexpected perspective of the Eiffel Tower cuz it is usually depicted in the whole, orthogonally in elevation- it's an icon, a symbolic object, less a spatial experience.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Tower image

Eiffel Tower, so it's obviously France. Looking up through the tower, nice composition of the photo - not the standard touristy shot. People at the bottom of the tower. Locals or tourists, whatever. Remembering what I've read about the Eiffel Tower, and Eiffel the engineer. Well built construction.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
This is fun - I want to do all of them :)

A space:

Cold, loud echoey room. Very modern, wooden floors. Like what you see in the Home decorator magazines. Light coming through the window at the far end, lighting up the space. No furniture, looks like an impersonal public space. The ramp at the left hand side, leading up to something. An outdoor space to the right, also a cold impersonal public space, no plant life.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
A painting

Woot - surrealism! Almost looks like a painting by Renee Magritte but not quite. Something from a slightly newer era perhaps.

Drag my attention back to the details for the purpose of this exercise. There's a woman, a statue, her head sticking out a window and her hands below. And there's a nagging feeling I've seen some of this artist's paintings in a RL exhibition somewhere or in a coffee table art book but I can't remember their name and it bugs me that I can't. The colours are unbalanced, too much reds and oranges and browns - prefer Magritte because the colours are more balanced, more blues and greens and he is a much better artist IMO.

Details, come on, focus on details. Um. I could describe the elements of the painting but that would be *boring* and irrelevant because this is a surrealist painting. To be groked as a whole, not pulled apart into pieces. There's a feeling of static-ness, static society, confining, restricted, repressed.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I did this one when I was MBTI tested! We were split into groups with the paintings without being told (at that point) what the significance of intuition vs sensing was.

-Geoff

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Tower image:

"It's the Eiffel Tower, photographed from an angle that makes it look even more phallic than usual."

Space image:

"Nice room. I would love to party there."

Painting image:

"Damn, I'm not into art. Let's see, what did I used to come up with in middle school to appease my art teachers? It's like he's on the inside, looking out. Trapped and lonely and longing to be in the sun."

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I did this one when I was MBTI tested! We were split into groups with the paintings without being told (at that point) what the significance of intuition vs sensing was.

-Geoff

Hey, don't hold out on us. :) How did it turn out?

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type

-Geoff
;) :party2:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Impressions:

1. First thoughts: Tried to type the painting style and artist. (Surreal and N-like, but lots of structure in the picture, things are composed in a very obvious structural ways, as a T would.)

2. Noticed composition first: How things are balanced, where the large areas of color were and how they interacted/supported each other, where the objects were related in comparison to each other, how all the elements fit together to create a balanced whole.

3. Consciously then began to focus on details, but had to choose to do it. Noticed the person sticking out of architecture on right, noticed the men talking, noticed what looked to be a steam engine in the background, and so forth. But details came last and were under conscious control, not first impression.

Alienclock

MBTI Type
infp
Intuition preference. INFP

A space

light comes down from the large window.
little squares of light on the right wall.
Ramp has what looks like a hole in it with light pouring down but it leads to ? nowhere.
2nd overhead light is out. none of them are on.
There are trees outside the courtyard. And the door is open to the courtyard. The courtyard is walled in, everything is cement.

Last edited:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Image: Painting

Type: INTJ

Impression: A very interesting image. It appeared to be Italian because of the architecture I noticed. I do not really pay attention to composition, especially since it's a surrealistic painting where such things don't matter much. However, I will reflect on the drawing later and report back when I feel like it.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Oh, we need some folks who prefer Sensing to respond! :ninja: I know a few of you--I'll start sending PMs! :D :devil:

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
The Painting:

First things that caught my eye were the colors, specifically the yellow, green, and orange. I noticed that lighter colors were in the upper left, dark colors were in the right and bottom. Then I started looking at the content of the picture. Things that caught my eye then were, in order: the hands (oh, neat looking), the tower, the face (oh, how pythonesque), the sculpture in the middle (looks like a mountain range). I was then drawn to the box in the shadow of the buidling because it's shape and off color disturbed the even texture of the shadow. From there I noted the two men shaking hands to the side of the sculpture, the flags on the building, and the tiny train almost in the middle of the picture (how neat, reminds me of the pictures I used to see in the German books I used to read as a child such as Dr. Doolittle, Tom Sawyer, etc). I decided that I liked the lemon yellow around the tower, it brought memories of the smell of ground lemon peel, and the shade of orange just below the roof line of the building, just because.

Possibly part of the reason why I noticed the colors first is because that if I don't have my glasses on, I tend to cue in on colors and movement to help me see.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Type: INTJ

Picture: A Tower

It appears to be the Eiffel Tower, and in this picture I realize just how phallic it is - a huge, enduring, landmark to show just how big they feel they should be. The designer and builder was showing off.

Picture: A Space

Precise, yet boring, this space was not designed with purpose in mind. Thanks to large sheets of flat materials, this space could be created very cheaply and they're leveraging this fact. This tends to be the construction theory employed in Art Museums and government/academic buildings that have been built in the last 75 years. The space is only marginally usable for most applications, hence the lack of furniture and people. It has bad lighting in spite of large windows and is highly inefficient to heat and cool.

Picture: A Painting

I don't feel anything, but I'm drawn to the impending doom of the erupting volcano in the center of the image. This may be someone's really ugly portrayal of their inferred feelings regarding the last moments of life in Pompeii shortly before all life was snuffed out there. EDIT: Or it could just be a steam engine and the painting could have no purpose at all.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
A painting

INFP

My immediate impression of the painting conveyed a sense of locking up or constraining Art. I noticed the outside world of the painting and it appeared to be rather dull, as if to say that art can only be "art" if it's in a museum or collection, whereas art can "never" be found outside of these institutions. Overall, I see this painting as overly humanistic: man-made buildings, man-made art, two gentlemen speaking with each other, trains and quite honestly, it dishearten me to even look at it. Nature is no where to be found. I mean, certainly, one could argue that you used components from nature to create a piece of art i.e. from one state of nature to the next, but I find the utter lack of nature to begin with in the painting as tragic e.g. closest thing to the natural being the sky and the sculpture of a mountain. I find it worth mentioning that I have a favorable bias towards the more natural than man-made. Then I suppose it would be fair to claim that art is naturally subjective and as soon as someone begins to qualify/quantify art that art dies.

Side note: I noticed that box at the bottom of the painting. It made me think of all geometric shapes and the impossibility of achieving a perfect shape. Drawing a shape, but not just limited to art, derives from a concept of that "perfect" shape. Would a perfect shape prove more aesthetically beautiful than say Michaelangelo's David or does one appreciate the flaw of not being able to create a "perfect" shape, due to our own imperfections as humans?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Tower

Oh. It's the Eiffel tower. From a weird angle--it goes up. There are people underneath. This angle makes the horizon look like it isn't horizontal and the top look really small. The arches look really cool and it's a different color than I expected. There is litter on the ground. How rude!

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
The space, INFP

The entire picture leads me towards the light, all the lines leading directly to it. It speaks of divinity, the space feels sacred, the room itself worships the light. In many ways it feels like how I imagine the place where people with near death experiences go to.

The room next door isn't really important. Hm.. just noticed a forest behind the wall of that room, don't know how it got there or why it's there. It's not important in the picture.