• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensing/iNtuiting Game: Perceiving Differences

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
My responses to some comments

Thanks to ALL of you for participating! :happy0065:

I was getting a little worried because there are so many Ns here--so I did PM a number of Ss and invite them to play.

I'll let you read the responses and you'll see the "expected" differences.

iNtuitors grab onto the moods, patterns, and possibilities. Because I'm NT, I started giggling at some of the NF responses, like Niffer's and Targo's; they put themselves right into the images, doing both the N possibility thing and the F personal thing. (If you're looking for them, Niffer's playing in the piazza column shadows and Targo's up on top of the Eiffel Tower enjoying the view.) Other Ns talk about themes and impression and use metaphor/simile to describe: the tower is "phallic", the space leaves one feeling abandoned, the painting is "locking up or constraining." Also, ideas pop in and out. Bluebell deliberately returns to the consideration of the image; Wolf puts the design of the space in relationship to the history of architecture.

The Sensors describe what they are seeing. Sometimes these are lists of details like colors and objects. Arilee picks up on the weather (anyone else notice the jackets on the people?) and the time of day. Girlnamedbless sees the trees outside the space. Sdalek tells us where the colors and objects are oriented in the painting.

In some respects, the iNtuiting responses seem more subjective and personal to me than those of the Sensors. Sensors are telling us exactly what they're seeing without interpretation, whereas iNtuitors are telling us how they're responding or conjecturing about intentions (trying to get into someone's head).

I was making a supreme effort to be as S as I could and actually pay attention to the details. (I'm INTP) But I couldn't. So I just wrote down my thought processes anyway. I kept trying to focus on the details but, well, you know, the connections between what I was looking at and what's in my head was all that was really happening for me. I can pay attention to seeing what's really there if I have to, but I have to switch off NT-ing to do that :(.
Great comment! That's why the handwriting exercise is such a great opener for MBTI introductions.

It's hard for Ns to learn Sensing skills. It's equally difficult for Ss to learn iNtuiting skills.

On the other hand, it can be fun and it's definitely useful to learn non-preference skills. Jennifer and I both do technical writing, which is an exercise in S skills of sequencing and observing. Look back at who uses actual lists in their descriptions. ;)
Some of the answers almost seem too stereotypically S or N, if they are actual, honest answers without the ideas of what a person's type "should" notice, that would be amazing.
This is true, but what I wanted were the first impressions, which will be from the preferred function. After that, the non-preferred function kicks in. You'll see both Sensing and iNtuiting details in the descriptions, but there will be a weight one way or the other, like what Bluebell noted.
Honesty aside, I'm sure knowing what is being tested has a subconscious effect. For that reason I'd like to hear from Geoff and others who have done this in groups of people who didn't know their preference.
I'd like to hear more of this too. Like I say, I do this to unsuspecting people at times for fun, but the stories are cool.

About four months ago, I brought a picture home from a Jungian seminar on the Path archetype. I showed it to Sdalek and told him to describe it. To be honest, his Sensing comments fascinated me so much I wanted to share the experience with other people.

Extra challenge
If you made it this far, I really do congratulate you! Now, try these:
  • Go back and look at the pictures using your non-preferred function. See how that feels.
  • If you're an iNtuitor (odds are good), read the Sensors' comments and see if you make any more connections. Then tell us about it. ;)
I'd add something for Sensors to do, but I think they've had that beaten into their heads enough already from the education system. :)

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Since I was asked to respond, I would have to say my response would be quite similar to Wolf's. On another note, this is another stereotypical fallacy that Sensing types will pick up on more detail than those preferring intuition. We may be able to describe the details in a more descriptive term, but that's about it.

Like any type, Se only works if the person has an interest in the object. Otherwise SP types in general, are going to miss as much as any intuitive type.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Since I was asked to respond, I would have to say my response would be quite similar to Wolf's. On another note, this is another stereotypical fallacy that Sensing types will pick up on more detail than those preferring intuition. We may be able to describe the details in a more descriptive term, but that's about it.

Like any type, Se only works if the person has an interest in the object. Otherwise SP types in general, are going to miss as much as any intuitive type.
Thanks for chiming in!

Describing the details well is an important difference. I notice a difference in the Se and the Si comments. It's true that people will notice things only if they're interested in the object.

The other things this exercise highlights are the dangers of generalizing and the trouble with typing based on observable traits. The more I work with type, the more I think PTGatsby is right about using the FFM for team-building. I really think type is more useful for self-knowledge than for situations where you're dealing with externally observable behaviors.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dunno, I thought pretty much all the Ns were pretty good at describing the details in the pictures.

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I dunno, I thought pretty much all the Ns were pretty good at describing the details in the pictures.

I agree with that and I don't there was anything stereotypical about the responses. Everyone picked up on details, details that were significant and meaningful to them. Yes, there's a pattern but what is its significance? Some people seem to project themselves into the scenes, act interactively with the scenes, and others step back and look at the scenes from afar.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also think about an N's tendency to "use metaphors and analogies" in communication. I quite honestly have never met anyone who regularly spoke in such a way.

Maybe an Intuitive would give a basic overview of the event (i.e., "It all happened so fast...") while a Sensor would catch more details, but there's nothing unusual about either form of speech.

I also think there's a misconception on how a Sensor will notice details while an Intuitive will interpret meaning. I think what this really means is that an Intuitive will be more investigative and try to have an understanding of a subject while the Sensor would probably accept it at face value.

As for Sensors interpreting things literally and Intuitives interpreting things figuratively, there is definitely a social bias. I think an Intuitive could just as easily interpret "You're biting my head off" literally if he/she is from a different social group.

I think the literal leaning in Typewatching is part of accepting reality as it is and just living it accordingly, as a Sensor would prefer. An Intuitive will dig deeper and want to understand the whys, but to understand the meaning based on a "hunch" is a bit naive -- some writings tend to take Intuition in its literal sense.

In reality, I think that an Intuitive, rather than taking things at face value, would be more inclined to study it rather than simply enjoy it.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
The other things this exercise highlights are the dangers of generalizing and the trouble with typing based on observable traits. The more I work with type, the more I think PTGatsby is right about using the FFM for team-building. I really think type is more useful for self-knowledge than for situations where you're dealing with externally observable behaviors.

I should mention that with the way all of these theories go, the proper usage would not be at the individual level but at the strategic level. Even team building can be pretty difficult to do with FFM - type has a place here! And there is a fairly good correlation between them, so they don't need to be exclusive.

Common views in FFM applications; You want HR to have a good slew of agreeable (Fs). And you want strategic development to be Open, and depending on the situation, disagreeable (NT). And you want management to be Concientous (J). And you want team leaders (PMs especially) to be low neuroticism. Sales need to be aggressive (often E, often sTP or sTJ) while business development needs a similar bent (often E, typically more F-P).

The reason why type fails to do this as well is because it puts an additional layer between behaviour and cognitive functions. And type is personal - FFM research uses large numbers to draw correlations. Type's greatest strength - the personal touch, the understanding... is also its weakness in applying it against behaviours. Individual behaviours are always specific - too much environment - to work from a generalised trait down to specifics.

FFM deals with this fairly well by isolating the traits rather than building a generalised view of 'who you are'. It makes it, IMO, more suitable for broad application where single traits are dominant in a job position/etc.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I didn't choose the space, but it had the strongest impact on me, I think. The word that came immediately to mind was "stark." I found it unpleasant.

I chose the tower and I think my answers were pretty similar to Arilee's.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I agree with that and I don't there was anything stereotypical about the responses. Everyone picked up on details, details that were significant and meaningful to them. Yes, there's a pattern but what is its significance? Some people seem to project themselves into the scenes, act interactively with the scenes, and others step back and look at the scenes from afar.

From what I saw, the N types didn't fit completely into a pattern, but the S types all had less interpretation/putting things together than the N types.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow...one of the few threads with an actual summary. Excellent job, rivercrow.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, that is impressive! So few INTPs have that kind of follow-through.

indigo2020

MBTI Type
INFJ
I chose the painting. First I noticed that the painting was not the kind of painting I had in mind as I was expecting/wanting something "pretty" and with brighter colors.

The next thing I noticed was the building/tower in the background. Then I saw the hands coming out of the other building, then the head above it. After that I noticed the colors of the painting, then the shadows. I then saw the statue lying down and wondered if it is supposed to be a lion. I then noticed the two people shaking hands. Then I saw the shadows. Finally I noticed the flags on the building/tower in the background.

indigo2020

MBTI Type
INFJ
I wanted to look at the other images.

When I looked at the space image, I did not like it at all. I felt scared, trapped and claustrophobic. It looked lonely, dark and like a place where someone would jump out and grab you if you were alone. I did not like the mirror if that is what it was. I wanted to get away from the image quickly.

indigo2020

MBTI Type
INFJ
boring from the ground. it would be really cool to be on top of the tower looking out. I would feel really alive, free and invigorated. It looks very cold on the ground. The sun is going down and there are people wearing jackets and backpacks. I tower is made out of metal I think. I have never seen the Eiffel Tower in person. It would probably be pretty cool to see it in person. I think I would rather see it when it was warmer and sunnier and I would take a photo of it from a different angle.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
...and I would take a photo of it from a different angle.

I tried. It either gets too cliche or too disturbing in my experience. :(

attachment.php
attachment.php

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Hey, don't hold out on us. :) How did it turn out?

Very well! The "intuitive" group listed lots of concepts from the painting... ideas and the like. and the "sensor" group described the fine detail and how they admired different colours.

Neither group had contact with the other or knew the significance.

-Geoff

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Wow...one of the few threads with an actual summary. Excellent job, rivercrow.

Nice followup! :)

Yeah, that is impressive! So few INTPs have that kind of follow-through.

Thanks! I don't like leaving people adrift.

Guess that explains why my work persona tests as an INTJ, doesn't it? :dry:

(Nice stereotype (and high praise from you--thanks!), Wolf! Perceivers DO finish things--but only once they perceive a conclusion! :rofl1:)

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
Am I too late to play? I don't know since I haven't read the rest of the thread (as instructed).

I chose the tower.

What I notice, recorded as I look at the picture for the first time...

Perspective
Up
Arches
Intricate patterns
People
Platforms
Red jacket
White sky
Closer look at the intricate patterns
... now I'm almost mezmerized with the patterns and can't stop studying them

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I snuck a look at the tower after the fact and I couldn't get the idea out of my head that it was really an alien spaceship that was going to lift up a "leg" and squash those extraverts (all the introverts were at home, on their computers) any moment.