• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensing/iNtuiting Game: Perceiving Differences

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I went with the tower.

I noticed that the picture was a bit disorienting at first, probably because it was photographed from an odd angle that makes the base look larger and the top look shorter and thinner. I think the angle works because it is looking down one of the curved vertical section of the tower, which makes the whole curved vertical section look shorter, and by comparison the rest of the base was far away. (This is a bit of a ramble, otherwise nothing stuck out except that it was the Eiffel tower, and the strange angle is hard to get past.)

Edit: Actually, another disorienting thing is possibly that the ground is sloped, and the skyline doesn't appear, which makes it seem as if the ground is curving away. (noticed it after looking a second time.)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A Space

INXJ

I can immediately feel its quiet and cool. It gives a sense of calm. The lines are ordered and resolved. The soft glow of light provides a diffuse contrast to the rigidity and clarity of the design. The railing alongside the left wall provides a soothing asymmetry to the whole. I think it is an art museum, a place where inner thoughts are silently displayed. It’s a place I want to sit in and stay without looking at a clock. I want the time to be measured only by the slowing evolving glow of the light. When it all becomes dark, then I will leave. There are images hanging alongside the right wall. I will look at them, but there is no rush. There is something to see out the right window. I want to guess what it is first. I take off my shoes to feel the smoothness of the floor, take a deep breath, then wander over to the window. I lay down in the glow of the light on the floor and let go.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I guess I'll do the other two.

The space looks almost like a prison with no cells, the front with the windows looks like and entrance to a large building, where some sort of meeting room might be, the walkway with the metal stairs seems too metallic to go inside a building, and prisons are the only places I've heard of that do that. It also helps that the floor is completely bare, and just about everything is whitish, which adds a concrete look to it, and the floor has enough sunlight to partially cover up the wood.

The painting is very bare bones, it reminds me a a mix between the Salvador Dali paintings I've seen (Thanks to the objects), medieval paintings with no perspective (though this one has very simple perspective) and modern paintings with blocks and such. I don't really get anything out of it, though it is a wierd mixture of qualities.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I agree that the painting seemed to be an amateur Dali painting. Though it had fine surrealistic values, it wasn't particularly interesting to look at.

Arilee

MBTI Type
ESTP
Image: A Tower

Type: ESTP

Observations:

It's the eiffel tower
It's taken from almost directly underneath the tower
It's late in the day
there are still people milling around
The tower looks rusty
It's a cold day

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think the painting is a De Chirico painting. He has a tendency to use very long shadows and statue body parts and it feels like some of his other pieces.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
A Space

First impressions: Sterile, empty, white, modern.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I think the painting is a De Chirico painting. He has a tendency to use very long shadows and statue body parts and it feels like some of his other pieces.

Yes! Thank you. I googled him, couldn't find this exact picture but the style is very similar and there's a painting by him with a very similar statue woman's face like this one. And the name is familiar and I'm pretty sure I did see some of his art work in a gallery about 10 or 15 years ago. That had been mildly bugging me that I couldn't remember the artist's name.

(I know this was off-topic but I guess it's insight into how an NT processes visual input over time :))

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Some of the answers almost seem too stereotypically S or N, if they are actual, honest answers without the ideas of what a person's type "should" notice, that would be amazing.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Some of the answers almost seem too stereotypically S or N, if they are actual, honest answers without the ideas of what a person's type "should" notice, that would be amazing.

I was making a supreme effort to be as S as I could and actually pay attention to the details. (I'm INTP) But I couldn't. So I just wrote down my thought processes anyway. I kept trying to focus on the details but, well, you know, the connections between what I was looking at and what's in my head was all that was really happening for me. I can pay attention to seeing what's really there if I have to, but I have to switch off NT-ing to do that :(.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ

Honesty aside, I'm sure knowing what is being tested has a subconscious effect. For that reason I'd like to hear from Geoff and others who have done this in groups of people who didn't know their preference.

girlnamedbless

MBTI Type
ESFJ
A Space

There's an empty room. There's a huge window, with light shining through it. There's a ramp, and a white figure (a box?) next to the window. The floor appears to be made of out wood. The picture seems to have a sepia-type feel to it, except for the right side. This side is black and white. In the upper right hand corner, I can see trees or bushes of some sort.. definitely something green. As I look more into the the picture, I look outside of the "window" and see that it has a 3D feel to it. I look closer and I realize that the "window" does not lead out to the outside world. Instead, it seems to lead to another boxed room. Ahhh! Now I'm confused, where is the light coming from? Ah yes, the "other room" does not appear to have a roof.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Painting

HOLY CRAP THERES A FACE. THAT WAS SCARY. And unexpected. Okay (calmed down). Um. Ooh..the green is a weird shade, but nice. The pose that is woman/statue thing is in is normally what naked statues are in, but she's not naked..that's weird. Lol, tower. I want to play between the pillars..I could hide in the dark shadows there in that picture. There are people. I wonder if they are nice. That face is still kinda scaring me.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That was my complete train of thought while looking at that.

R

RDF

The Tower

The view of the bottom of the Eiffel Tower, showing the massive undercarriage and the heavy blockhouses at the feet, gives the tower (and the picture) a sense of heaviness and ponderousness. That's sets up a contrast with most other pictures of the Eiffel Tower, which make the tower look spindly or ethereal.

Anyway, that's my main impression of the picture: I get a sense of the heaviness and ponderousness of something that I wouldn't normally consider heavy or ponderous.

FL (INFP)

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
Tower Imagine....

The first thing I do is start from the bottom noticing all the people below it that can fit below it. As I scan upwards I realize it's the Eiffel Tower, WOW I think to myself a lot of people can fit below it, the base is so wide and look how high it goes. I scan the rest of the picture noticing how hazy it is and how the person in red really stands out and attracts my attention. As I continue to scan the picture I think to myself, I wonder where I would 'enter' so I could actually go up and have a view of my surroundings from up high

Shimpei

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Tower
ISFJ
So monumental. That's all that comes to mind.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
T
  • Identify which image you chose.
  • Identify your Type, if it's not included in your profile.
  • Record what you notice, as you notice it. Try to capture your first impressions.

A Space
INTJ

Neutral colours, site finished hardwood, large windows, a ramp. Then: probably a loud echo when you walk across that floor, those widows are probably a bitch to keep clean, the colour is soothing, why is the place empty.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Congratties for recognizing De Chirico, a Futurist and one of my favorite artists. True to my iNtuiting preference, I have no idea what the title of the work is. Sorry.

That's a cop-out. It's part of his piazza series, but he did so many and they are labeled in Italian, that I have a hard time keeping them straight. I did manage to remember these things in art history class well enough to maintain a 4.0 average, but I used mnemonics for stuff like dates/names/titles that are not available on the internet.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Meta-Game Info

This is a little derail.

Creation Difficulties
Coming up with this game was a little hard. First, S/N are both perceiving functions. How to set up a controlled environment online that doesn't feel too contrived? Images seemed the simplest, but there's an ADA problem with it. In retrospect, sounds could be used as alternates. Second, naming the samples. If I do this again--if anyone tries it--generic names like "Image 1" and ""Image 2" might be better so as to not "lead the witness."

Facilitation Problems
I do actually pull this game on friends and family. I've learned something--it's very hard to get Sensors to participate at times. If someone has a suggestion for this, sing out!

First, Sensors seem to discount their observations as "plain" or "mundane." I suspect this starts in school and the discomfort is learned early. This is a shame, because the "obvious" details are often not obvious to iNtuitors, so we miss out on some interesting stuff.

If I ask Sensors (or suspected Sensors) to talk first, they get suspicious that I am setting them up for ridicule--nothing of the sort. If I ask iNtuitors to talk first (iNtuitors usually don't need an invitation since they leap out of sequence naturally ;) ), Sensors seem to feel like they have to "keep up" or compete.

If I have gotten Ss to talk before Ns do, then the Ss express frustration that "they didn't see that at first" with the implication that they're slow or something, which is not the case. What Sensors don't hear (and iNtuitors don't often say) is that iNtuitors form more connections from the details that Sensors have pointed out. It's cyclic.

All of this is frustrating from a facilitator perspective, because I don't want anyone to feel like they're in a hostile environment.

If I give too many details about the game--which would make Sensors feel more comfortable--then I make it too easy for iNtuitors to make patterns and I edge close to "leading the witness" again for Sensors.

All these nuances make the thing into a puzzle.