• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Time and Type (S/N)

I prefer ______ and I make plans for ______ in the future

• Sensing; 6-12 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sensing; 1-3 years

• Sensing; 5-10 years

• Sensing; 10-15 years

• Sensing; 15-25 years

• iNtuiting; 15-25 years

• Sensing; 25-40 years

• Total voters

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I voted 3-5 years, because I have a 5 year study plan, but I feel kind of apathetic about it. I have the same problem as raincrow007: nihilism. At the moment I am not very fond of the future, on my own part anyway, because I see nothing else in it but fear.

I think by the way Ni is more realistic than Ne, Ni also being more future orientated. Especially coupled with Te it is a lot more realistic than Ne. In general I find xNTJ to be by far the most realistic of the iNtutive types.

Coupled with Fe it seems to me like Ni might be kind of dangerous to a person. In a very emotional state Ni might give some rather unrealistic insights, which the person who has them becomes very certain of. I certainly see it in my INFJ mom, who is not very emotionally stable and constantly worry about the future and often is being paranoid without reason.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm with RC007 except that mines not a total protest. I'd just like an additional category of answer measured in hours and not months or years.

I now need a stiff drink after reading the range of options.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I voted 3-5 years, because I have a 5 year study plan, but I feel kind of apathetic about it. I have the same problem as raincrow007: nihilism. At the moment I am not very fond of the future, on my own part anyway, because I see nothing else in it but fear.

I think by the way Ni is more realistic than Ne, Ni also being more future orientated. Especially coupled with Te it is a lot more realistic than Ne. In general I find xNTJ to be by far the most realistic of the iNtutive types.

Coupled with Fe it seems to me like Ni might be kind of dangerous to a person. In a very emotional state Ni might give some rather unrealistic insights, which the person who has them becomes very certain of. I certainly see it in my INFJ mom, who is not very emotionally stable and constantly worry about the future and often is being paranoid without reason.

ENxJs are the most realistic of the N types, simply because of the order of their functions. An ENTJ might seem more values-oriented because they have closer access to Fi, while an ENFJ might be more analytical because of closer access to Ti.

An ENTJ comes off as a dictator because they want to control things in the environment (Te) according to a personal vision (Ni) which they want to see happen (Se) according to their values (Fi). An ENTJ could also come across as the most shrewd of all the types, because Te will weigh the pros and cons of their Ni conceptions.

An INTJ could be quite fantasy prone because of a dominant Ni. To an observer, an INTJ might not seem quite as ambitious as their J function might indicate. I think of all the types, the INxJs are most intense in fine tuning everything in their minds before even getting a chance to act. They'll envision things the way they think they'll be like, but might be afraid to face reality because of their perfectionist tendencies.

Take it from me, I fear experiencing the real world because of the possibility that it might not be in accordance to my own personal take. And so I might feel under or overwhelmed. Hence, I sometimes never make my conceptions into a reality because of my obsession with competence. I don't think an NP would have as much problem because they're not as stubbornly perfectionistic as the NJs.

So a dominant Ni could actually be very lazy and unrealistic because of their obsessions with their internal conceptions of the ideal. It's often hard for me to stay motivated because I spend too much time thinking and not enough time expressing. My conceptions are vivid in my mind, but the expression of them involves action, taking advantage of my Se function, which is quite underdeveloped.

A dominant Ni could end up being the least confident of all types and even more fearful of experiencing the unknown than the Si. Where the Ni is fearful because of a vivid imagination of what could go either right or wrong (depending on your natural outlook), an Si could actually be more confident because of their natural tendency to relate things to previous experience, which will often give them comfort in the face of change.

Alesia

MBTI Type
INFP
I think that planning in the future would have more to do with the J/P aspect. I know ISTJs that plan way ahead.

Myself, as an NP, I dream of my future life in vague terms, but I don't exactly make plans. So, I voted 3-6 months, although I would have put "I don't make plans". :shock: What's that? ;)

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
I like to daydream about the future, but my actual 'planning' is lucky to stretch to one week from now.

My faculty application for a September start date is due in early July. If I get it in within the next couple of weeks, that will be a 'big thing'.

I tend to mull ideas in my head, but they don't get acted upon until the right moment arrives, and that obviously clashes with the reality that things take time. This tension, this inability to act on my will, is very frustrating, and often sees me giving up in favour of something else.

That's also how I have, in the past, seen to my social activities.... and it never worked very well. Which is why I tend to let connections go because the benefits do not usually outweigh the frustration.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The thing is that any type will be bad at planning if they have no motivation.

I really don't think MBTI type is really reliable in terms of long-term goal setting.

At the present moment, I'm not good at planning for the future, because there is nothing seriously motivating me.

And each of the four temperaments are motivated by different things and will make long range plans if they see the opportunity to reach their core needs, be it SJ's material security, SP's freedom to act, NF's self-expression, and NT's intellectual mastery.

But if none of these opportunities are in sight, then none of the types are going to be good at long range planning.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I said 6-12 months because I don't always remember what plans I might have made in a fit of inspiration. I do have moments of carefully planning my furture up to 10 years into the future, and I'll remember the general idea of them, but normally those plans won't be remembered in detail if they're too far off.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm with RC007 except that mines not a total protest. I'd just like an additional category of answer measured in hours and not months or years.

I now need a stiff drink after reading the range of options.

:unsure: Um, yeah. The more I think about it, the more I think the poll options should be down in the minutes range...

I really don't plan at all... I set things up so there's a lot of room for flexibility (eg savings accounts and stuff), so I guess that's contingency planning. But doesn't really count as life planning, more just setting things up so I can wing it with minimal risk.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
The thing is that any type will be bad at planning if they have no motivation.

I really don't think MBTI type is really reliable in terms of long-term goal setting.

At the present moment, I'm not good at planning for the future, because there is nothing seriously motivating me.

And each of the four temperaments are motivated by different things and will make long range plans if they see the opportunity to reach their core needs, be it SJ's material security, SP's freedom to act, NF's self-expression, and NT's intellectual mastery.

But if none of these opportunities are in sight, then none of the types are going to be good at long range planning.

That's kind of obvious, but there will be a correlation between planning and some types. The average INTJ will plan quite a lot more than the average ESFP. That does not say that every INTJ plan more than every ESFP, just that most do. Based on just type, is MBTI really a totally reliable source of anything?

Jaguar

I think daydreaming about being a best-selling author would be NP, would it not? While the NJ would make the daydream real, yes?

Creative people use N and S with equal ability. It's not an NP-NJ thing.
The manifesting reality of (S) and the dreamy imaginative non-reality of (N)
coexist within the creative personality simultaneously.
Hence, creative people being referred to as a paradox.

Find a person who emphatically hates p-type tests because their answer
to the questions is always "both dammit!"
you very well may be dealing with a highly creative paradoxical person,
who fits into none of the 16 dogmatic p-types.

Open your mind a bit, and read this:

The creative personality by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi:
Psychology Today: The Creative Personality

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi has studied creative people for 30 years.

"If I had to express in one word what makes their personalities different from others, it's complexity.
They show tendencies of thought and action that in most people are segregated.
They contain contradictory extremes; instead of being an "individual," each of them is a "multitude."

"Creative people alternate between imagination and fantasy, and a rooted sense of reality"
(N-S continuum)

"Most of us assume that artists--musicians, writers, poets, painters--are strong on the fantasy side,
whereas scientists, politicians, and businesspeople are realists.
This may be true in terms of day-to-day routine activities.
But when a person begins to work creatively, all bets are off."

He's correct.

"Creative people trend to be both extroverted and introverted"
(E-I continuum)

He's correct.

Read the whole article, it's excellent.
Creative people shoot right along the continuum.
We exist whether little Katie Briggs thought so or not.
Just because a very old p-theory created by a bored housewife achieved cult status,
doesn't make it accurate.
Personality typing reminds me of the Tulip Bulb mania of the 17th century.
And we all know how that ended up . . .

Jack Block, professor emeritus of psychology at UC Berkeley said of MBTI:
“I know it’s popular, but it’s not at all considered relevant in psychology,
it’s a great scam cooked up by one old lady and her daughter.”

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That article is nothing new to me. In fact, I have the exact same traits that are mentioned. People who don't know me well often perceive me as an Extravert. So despite a strong Introverted preference, I'm technically an ambivert. And yes, I both daydream one minute and the next I'm rooted in reality, but I have the strong preference of N.

Traditionally, creativity is about bringing Intuitive insights of the imagination into reality. Specifically, that's Extraverted Intuition -- inner conceptions directed into the outer world. So yes, there is detail work in the traditional definition of creativity, but the details are based in accordance with a personal vision.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
this adds pressure but I think it's at least 3-5yrs. You see having something any sooner causes complete disorganization within my already disorganized life. I feel rushed and hurried to do something thus freaking out and doing nothing,

but with 3-5 yrs it gives me time to go at my pace, eventhough I know very well that I will procrastinate until the last possible moment and then freak out and rush through it anyway, It hardly makes sense now does it?

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think that planning in the future would have more to do with the J/P aspect. I know ISTJs that plan way ahead.

Myself, as an NP, I dream of my future life in vague terms, but I don't exactly make plans. So, I voted 3-6 months, although I would have put "I don't make plans". :shock: What's that? ;)

That's exactly what I would say except I didn't vote. Where are the 0-3 months options. If time were distance, I wouldn't even see past 2 feet in front of me.