• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Is Feeling?

heart

heart on fire
Fi - "good" or "bad" based on personal opinion
Fe - "good" or "bad" based on external evidence

every time someone says "good" or "bad" or "evil" or "chill" or "sweet" or "lame" or anything like that, they're using a feeling function.

all the rest of the hypotheses listed in the OP actually refer to intuition.

also, feeling is by definition a conscious function. if it's unconscious, it's S or N.

By using the word "evidence", you are implying that Fe uses hard facts more often than Fi in coming to a feeling judgment. I disagree.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, thinking types do seem to view logic (and logical things) as agreeable, and illogic as disagreeable.

Of course they do. That's because all Thinking types still possess Feeling.

It seem to get more tricky when we add the two attitudes to the Thinking and Feeling judgments. Does a person who prefers Ti-Fe ("true or false" based on personal opinion; "good or bad" based on external evidence) never have personal preferences like enjoying a sunny day? (and the "factual conclusion" would be more Te). This is why I think there is a realm of "basic survival instinct" that is universal to everyone, and separate from T/F-e/i preference.

And again, of course a Ti-Fe person has self-derived Feelings. Every human being possesses and uses all processes. Are we clear on that? It's just that the strength of each process varies from person to person. Some with very high Fe and very low Fi still has self-derived values, because a human wouldn't function without them, but when compared to most people, this person would have an unusually high tendency to let their own values get lost among the values of others.

It's never so absolute. It's all about degrees.

redacted

By using the word "evidence", you are implying that Fe uses hard facts more often than Fi in coming to a feeling judgment. I disagree.

extroverted judgment refers to external data by definition. introverted refers to current internal state, so current thought processes, conscious or unconscious.

"hard facts" is extroversion's realm...

it's not that Fi users don't use hard facts...it's just that their Fi isn't doing that work. Te is.

Whose definition is that?

carl jung's

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Okay, let me say what I seem to have figured it out about Feelers.

After a particularly bad outcome, a T will try to see what led up to the disaster. They see what happened, all the unavoidable events, and be upset by that. An F will think that there's more to it. For example, an F friend asked me once, "Why have people evolved to know that they will die?" when the first place my mind went was, 'well, wouldn't they have figured it out eventually?'

It's not that Fs and Ts can't come to the same conclusion. It just seems that Fs go from personal ---> impersonal in their thinking while Ts go impersonal --> personal.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think a very important point has to be made that the thread asks what Feeling is, not what Feelers are. They are really two very different things.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Of course they do. That's because all Thinking types still possess Feeling.

And again, of course a Ti-Fe person has self-derived Feelings. Every human being possesses and uses all processes. Are we clear on that? It's just that the strength of each process varies from person to person. Some with very high Fe and very low Fi still has self-derived values, because a human wouldn't function without them, but when compared to most people, this person would have an unusually high tendency to let their own values get lost among the values of others.

It's never so absolute. It's all about degrees.
I know. It's just that when we get into shadow theory descriptions; it is sometimes made to appear that the only time those functions are used is under stress, or brief moments of positive use (Such as "discovery", "laughing at onesself" or "transforming a situation"). Stuff like enjoying a sunny day, and other things like aesthetic appreciation would seem to transcend those categories, so I have to wonder if that ideas is even allowed in the theory, from the somewhat narrow descriptions I usually see.

Last edited:

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX

After a particularly bad outcome, a T will try to see what led up to the disaster. They see what happened, all the unavoidable events, and be upset by that. An F will think that there's more to it. For example, an F friend asked me once, "Why have people evolved to know that they will die?" when the first place my mind went was, 'well, wouldn't they have figured it out eventually?'

It's not that Fs and Ts can't come to the same conclusion. It just seems that Fs go from personal ---> impersonal in their thinking while Ts go impersonal --> personal.

Very concise and interesting observation, Hap. I really like your contributions. I usually don't comment on them because they usually seem so self-sufficient and self-contained.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
X2

Two value judgments that continually crash, I know I've learned to sort of extend my decisions a few seconds so I can really get more on the personal end of the continuum. Impersonal/personal analysis is really evident when dealing with a large scale issue like a big businesses actions, for example auto makers decisions to recall parts or models due to accidents or defects.

redacted

from that definition, i'm a T. if you really think about it, an (auxiliary) F doesn't even have to use feeling more than thinking.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here is my take on the differences between Feeling and Thinking:

To use Feeling you have to mentally step into a situation (external or internal). This allows you to fully experience bodily sensations and emotions and to evaluate the situation in a highly personal manner.

For example, you are on the roller coaster and as you go ever more slowly up the track, you can hear the clicking of the wheels and feel yourself weighing backwards into the seat. There is a pause as you look down from a great height. Suddenly you begin to hurtle down the track, and feel your heart beat faster and faster, wind on your face. A scream bursts from your throat as you clench your safety restraint while things go by in blur.

In the same way, you can choose to recall pleasant past memories, as though you were in the experience.

To use Thinking you have to mentally step out of a situation (external or internal). This allows you to dissociate from bodily sensations and emotions so that you can judge the situation impersonally and logically.

For example, you are watching a roller coaster from a distance go slowly up the track and then speed down the other side - some arms are waving about and you can vaguely hear some high-pitched shrieks. You do not experience the emotions you would have if you were on the roller coaster. There will be some emotion - about what is seen.

You can choose to recall unpleasant past memories in the same way, as though you were an observer watching from a distance.

The different ways in which Thinking and Feeling evaluate the same situation lead to the following:

A preference for Thinking will show itself in the use of objective criteria to make decisions. Thinkers will analyze problems in a rational and impersonal way. Judgment is of the cause/effect sequential reasoning type. They will sometimes use external standards, the rules, the procedures. When combined with Intuiting they may use concepts or general principles generated globally and internally.

A preference for Feeling will show itself as making decisions according to what is important to you (Fi - personal values) or others (Fe - collective values).

Feelers' first port of call is to examine how information or circumstances affect individuals. They do not think in cause effect ways, but in web like ways. Diplomacy and tact count for more than some objective "truth" (if there was ever such a thing). It is not about the expression of emotion, although it is probably easier for this preference to do so.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Nice description :). Finally someone, who writes in images :D

I find the sole discussion about how F or T appears in the world not very satisfieing. Cause every human is composed of F and T.

I found the idea about how a Ti/Fe or Te/Fi combination tends to make judgements and expresses itself more intresting. Surely you will have a preference for T or F,too, if you look at it like that. But there will be too interconnected reactions, where somethings starts of as a Te thing and ends up like a Fi thing.

Like you said before.

From this point of view, there can be pretty freaky T/F monsters generated :D