• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality and artistic traits?

Kenji Moori

MBTI Type
INTP
[F]or the purposes of this book, the definition of Modernism is (tentatively) as follows: the testing of the limits of aesthetic construction. According to this perspective, the Modernists tried to find the outer bounds of certain artistic traits: volatiliy of emotion (expressionism); stability and inexpressiveness (the new objectivity); accuracy of representation (hyperrealism); absence of representation (abstractionism); purity of form (neoclassicism); formless energy (neobarbarism); cultivation of the technological present (futurism); cultivation of the prehistoric past (the mythic method). These extremes, of course, have been arranged in pairs, because aesthetic heresies, like theological ones, come in binary sets: each limit point presupposes and opposite limit point, a counter-extreme toward which the artist can push.
—Daniel Albright; Untwisting the Serpent.

when looking at these “artistic traits” listed by Albright (the variables of aesthetic construction of which the genres of modernism are exaggerations of), they always remind me of the dichotomies of MBTI for some reason:

• F ⇔ expressionism;
  • T ⇔ the new objectivity;
  • S ⇔ hyperrealism;
  • N ⇔ abstractionism;
  • J ⇔ neoclassicism;
  • P ⇔ neobarbarism;
  • E ⇔ futurism;
  • I ⇔ the mythic method.
do you also see a resemblance here; and if so, do you think there’s an actual relation between artistic and personality traits?

á´…eparted

passages
I am very skilled at ceramics, and it pretty much came naturally to me. Surrealism is my favorite kind of art.

Though I don't see how that is connect to type at all, and I wouldn't expect it to be.

Kenji Moori

MBTI Type
INTP
I don’t believe that one’s type may determine one’s favorite kind of art, because artistic styles and movements are too complex, and the variables influencing this personal preference are too many, for it to be good a measure of personality; but isn’t the way how artistic traits are divided connected to the way how personality traits are divided?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Real art doesent come from ego, therefore you cant say for example that a person with T ego makes art based on T. Naturally ego does effect art in ways, but for example you can find T types all over that make art to express emotions, because they found art as an outlet for unconscious material to materialize so that they can be expressed and processed without the egos interference.

Kenji Moori

MBTI Type
INTP
when I said “relation” I didn’t mean “causal relation”.
you just admitted some sort of relation exists, when you said “art based on T”, and we both knew what was meant by that, so it probably has some meaning.
this “A is based in B” relation between an artistic trait “A” and a personality trait “B” is what I was asking about in the first place.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually don't care for modern or abstract art. I prefer realism, or Impressionism. I also like the pre-Raphaelite period. Waterhouse is one of my favorite artists.

I don't think it has much to do with type. Artistic preferences are extremely personal and subjective.

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Since I don't really care for art at all I had to look up all of these different categories of art...

Expressionism can eat shit and die.
The New Objectivity is... accurate.
Hyperrealism is annoying to look at.
Abstractionism is annoying to look at.
Neoclas- OH how godly~ I would fuck that guy on the horse
Neobarbarism is annoying to look at.
Futurism is pretty interesting to look at.
The Mythic Method is beautiful.

Therefore.... inconclusive.

EDIT: Oh wait I do enjoy art, something akin to....
entheogenic-garden-of-eden-oil.jpg

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
when I said “relation” I didn’t mean “causal relation”.
you just admitted some sort of relation exists, when you said “art based on T”, and we both knew what was meant by that, so it probably has some meaning.
this “A is based in B” relation between an artistic trait “A” and a personality trait “B” is what I was asking about in the first place.

F type can make art based on T function was my point. But essentially all art stems from the unconscious, and perception via unconscious = N. But the data from the unconscious can be processed and made concrete via other functions, i would claim that you need all 4 functions for it, but you dont use them all equally, but there is more weight put in F aspect at times and other times it might be more S based. Purely S based "art" for example drawing with photoshop a copy of a picture i dont consider art at all, since its all about skills of drawing exact copy, and nothing to do with creativity.