• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Same Personality Types Rub Each Other The Wrong Way?

NashK

MBTI Type
INFP
It just hit me today, after much observation, that people with the exact same personality type tend to avoid each other and, in general, rub each other the wrong way. For example, in my community there are two brilliant INTJ's who are almost exactly the same in interests and personality. But they can't stand each other, and constantly denounce the other one publicly.

My mother, an ENFP, knows two ENFP's and avoids them like the Dickens. When I mentioned to her the similarity in MBTI, she got nervous, and started finding all sorts of differences between them and her.

Finally, there's my younger sister and I, both INFP's. I think she's a great person, but I dislike talking to her because there is no dynamic happening between us at all. Plus, it feels strange- as if I'm talking to someone copying the things that make me unique.

Anyone else have this? Does it make sense?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I prefer to be the only INTP in the room, irl. There's no competition, and no one to decipher my cleverness. I generally like being around INTJ, ENTP, INFP quite a bit. But INTJs online throw me for a loop. Perhaps they want to anonymously remove their facade of sanity and togetherness. They're completely bonkers.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i actually think i agree. i think i've been around a few ENFP's, and though it is nice to talk about a lot of similarities, it doesn't create an interesting dynamic. i'm very much a 'touch-feely' person, but i don't think i ever am when i'm around other NF's in general. they don't give you that 'what the fuck?' of 'get away from me!' look, which is really why i give hugs out in the first place :). this is just an example of course, i'm sure there are more.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
But INTJs online throw me for a loop. Perhaps they want to anonymously remove their facade of sanity and togetherness. They're completely bonkers.

They don't want to remove it... they're just taking it off for a while. That facade of sanity and put-togetherness is a rather constricting corset.

I had noticed this pattern with INTJs, but I wasn't sure if it held true for the other types. I wonder if there's a pattern? From what's here, it might be an Fi/Te thing.

helen

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've never met another INFJ, or if I have I didn't recognize them.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Oh, but it is funny when I'm with an INTP and ESFP at the same time. I'm subtly derogating the ESFP in a good-natured way, constantly, and the INTP laughs at everything I say while the ESFP is oblivious.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
i wouldn't say always, i appreciate the qualitites in other istps, but i don't know any that i hang around with all that much. i've seen some same types not get on and some that do.

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
although, my ENFP brother and I have similar personality types, our general philosophies on life clash greatly. he's an enneagram type seven, so he values instant gratification and enthusiasm, while I, as a four, romanticise introspection and longing.

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
I honestly don't know the type of most of the people I interact with. I do know a few people online outside of this forum who've taken an online MBTI quiz just for fun and who have turned out to be either INTPs or INFPs depending on the quiz (just like me), and I have gotten along well with them. Then there was one INFP who never seemed to like me. His oversensitivity combined with mine did not work well at all. And he really knew how to hurt my feelings, better than most people who try, who usually miss their mark.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't really know any INFPs, but the one's that I suppose were... they were too freakin INFPs! It is at the same time boring, frustrating and in a way intimidating. You don't really have any spark if you are both like "I understand you, tell me more"

But I guess this is one of the little ironies in life. First you want to find someone like you, then you cant stand them.

Harmony

MBTI Type
INFP
Although I haven't consciously met another INFP , I do have the opportunity to occupy the same home as two ENFPs (father and younger sister). I can say I've observed this type of behavior before, although that sample might be tainted because my father has admitted and even bragged about his superiority complex.

I myself usually get along with them quite well, even if we clash from time to time.

ixquic_creation

MBTI Type
INFP
My boyfriend is an ENFP. Most of my close friends are NFP's. All are more extroverted that I am, but there are a few INFP's.

We joke about starting a commune. We'd always sleep past noon. And share everything. Cuddles all over the place. It'd be a sensualist's paradise. Soft fabrics and giant fucking pillows. Cats, dogs, and other soft furry animals everywhere. We'd have a massive vegetable garden.

Paqui and I would heal people. My boyfriend and Tiff would teach. And Ade would do whatever it is that she's going to be brilliant at.

We'd be a force so brilliant... we'd solve cold fusion in 2.5 seconds.
To celebrate, we'd have cake and punch. Then get into a food fight. :)

When the introverts want their hermit time, we have personal hideyholes to... um... hide in.

Music, literature, and theater abound.

We'd hire an ESTJ to take care of the bills, of course.

Usehername

On a mission
My ENFP dad and INFP bro get along so well. For parenting that style match works well.

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
also, i have three INFP friends. with one of them, there's always a sense of silent competition: who's more unique? who's more insightful. i feel like i have to "one up" others with my musical taste, personal philosophies, etc.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I find INTJs online to be fun and thought provoking but sometimes they over do the whole logic thing and seem to stereotype themselves into being machines. Which can be okay, to just toss around fun ideas and such, but nothing... warm comes out of it... I dunno.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I get on very well with INFPs. I find them interesting and I never notice myself dismissing them because they'd "be too INFP" or "too much like myself". It's the INFJ that often rubs me the wrong way. INFP are from Mars; INFJ are from Venus. :D

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't really know many INTPs, but I friend easily with other Ti-Dom/Aux, ISTPs, ENTPs and ESTPs.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Not at all in my experience. I tend not to get along great with people who are easily offended, take themselves and the world too seriously, or are preachy.

I'll probably get stoned for this, but whatever.

I have found that I have a tendency to offend Fs where no offense was intended and where Ts would have found none. Perhaps it is because of bad experiences with immature Ts, but I have also noticed a tendency for some Fs, and NFs in particular, to assume that I am insulting their intelligence because of their different hierarchy of preferences. Then defensiveness. Nothing could be further from my inclinations or interests. The NTs I have met are more secure in themselves on this front so there is less of a need to walk on eggshells with them.
Then there are the preacher-figures who think their own solemn visionary light suffices to place them atop a soapbox, never mind the deficiencies of their visions. There is a not-so-fine line between compassionate advocacy and preaching. In my experience (a critical qualifier), Ts have been a bit more skilled at toeing the line, never mind the allegedly superior EQ of Fs.
There was one easy to offend NT, but he's borderline F, and I know of two preachy NTs. But their typing is questionable on other bases, so I await more examples to blow my observations out of the water.
All that said, I like people regardless of type who can lighten up and not take things too personally and can let a grudge go when it really doesn't warrant the energy to hold on to it.