• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Same Personality Types Rub Each Other The Wrong Way?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If I'm gonna instantly get bad vibes and clash with someone (irl) they'll be a NT but not INTJ specifically, I find I usually respect and understand where they are coming from.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I can see it happening. I guess it would just depend on the individual person.

I personally hit it off with all of the other ENFPs I ever met.

One ENFJ I felt a bit of tension with, because I'm used to being the only enthusiastic learner in class. When she came in.. it sorta felt like competition, but we hung out and actually bonded really well.

The only personality I kinda sometimes avoid are a few INFJs in my life. Sometimes they make really black/white extremely cynical/negative comments that really just kill the mood. So I avoid them every so often.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
just for the record, this does not mean i don't get along with ENFP's. we respect each other and can have fun together. i just can't seem to find any ENFP's that i've really bonded with on a deeper level.

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
I'm afraid of people who resemble me a lot and I try to avoid them. Most people consider me to be rather enigmatic and hard-to-read and I'm used to it - I can "hide" behind it. When someone thinks the same way as I do and has no trouble reading me, it feels like they are penetrating my privacy. :D

But I've got one INFP friend (I've known him for years) and we get along really well. He's a stronger F than I am, whereas my N is stronger than his.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I'm afraid of people who resemble me a lot and I try to avoid them. Most people consider me to be rather enigmatic and hard-to-read and I'm used to it - I can "hide" behind it. When someone thinks the same way as I do and has no trouble reading me, it feels like they are penetrating my privacy. :D

But I've got one INFP friend (I've known him for years) and we get along really well. He's a stronger F than I am, whereas my N is stronger than his.

INFP's could be more private than i thought. do you guys long for someone to share everything with, or are there always things you want only yourself to know?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
INFP's could be more private than i thought. do you guys long for someone to share everything with, or are there always things you want only yourself to know?

There aren't many things that I wouldn't share, but there aren't many people who I would share them with. And its also a lot more simpler than this. If I talk with people, I don't concentrate on the things being said (like, where he works or what kind of house he has) as much as how things are said. Things that I remember about people are their personalities and expressions, not the facts. So this makes me also tell stuff about myself that are really more about the way I think than what I do or have done. So, it might seem like I dont share anything about myself while I actually am sharing the things that I am interested in.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
There are two people I used to know who I highly suspect were ENFP. Both were male. While this probably doesn't exist outside my twisted head, the dynamic seemed such that I became a hard skeptic with aggressive undertones and they became fluffier and thought I didn't really like them. In fact, I thought they were fantastic. But I did feel more aggressive and irritable when with them.

In typical over-analyzing fashion, I'll attribute the dynamic to 1) an attempt to counter balance them, or 2) an expression of self-dislike. I don't know which... could be both. Gender is a third variable that may or may not hold significance. We'll see at the D.C. meet-up when I chill with other ENFP gals.

Lastly, let us never forget the banana llama: :bananallama:

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi

I don't have The Need of Sharing Everything, but I don't have practically anything I couldn't share if I just happened to trust the person enough. No skeletons in the closet. I mean, I'm happy to discuss and share thoughts, but it's not a must.

I, however, have such an enormous amount of thoughts that it's pretty impossible to share everything. :D

miked277

MBTI Type
INTP
in a work setting i love other NTs and INTPs. in a personal friendship setting i could see there being a few bumps in the road. of course, if work is life for you then sure... go meshugina :)

Pavilion

MBTI Type
INTP
I get along with other INTPs pretty well.

I've thought about this sorta thing before though and I can't imagine two EJs of the same type getting along very well unless they see things very much the same.

sophiedoph

MBTI Type
INFJ
This tends to be true for me too. I'm INFJ and they generally irk me :) I get along really really well with INTJs, INTPs, and INFPs.

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
To my knowledge, I haven't met any other ENFP's but I think we would get along just fine. Actually, probably GREAT :D

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
It just hit me today, after much observation, that people with the exact same personality type tend to avoid each other and, in general, rub each other the wrong way. For example, in my community there are two brilliant INTJ's who are almost exactly the same in interests and personality. But they can't stand each other, and constantly denounce the other one publicly.

My mother, an ENFP, knows two ENFP's and avoids them like the Dickens. When I mentioned to her the similarity in MBTI, she got nervous, and started finding all sorts of differences between them and her.

Finally, there's my younger sister and I, both INFP's. I think she's a great person, but I dislike talking to her because there is no dynamic happening between us at all. Plus, it feels strange- as if I'm talking to someone copying the things that make me unique.

Anyone else have this? Does it make sense?
I think you're noticing the opposite of the axiom: "Opposites attract."
If opposites attract - which they do - then it stands to reason that likes will be opposed.
Of course this isn't and hard and fast rule.

locke

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think I'm an INFP, but I'm pretty scatterbrained as well. I can really relate to alot of this.

AvereX said:
when i was little (9yrs old)
i would go to the trash can in the kitchen with the intention to pee

AvereX, I used to do the same thing when I was young, except rather than the trash can it was the refrigerator. Luckily I'd always catch myself.

I've walked into stop signs.

I tend to pace around the house, randomly entering rooms, opening and closing doors when I'm thinking/daydreaming. This can sometimes bother the people I live with.

I have an INFJ friend and he's much the same way. I used to think J's were the tidy, organized people. We'd spend much of our time talking about philosophy and social justice. He's at college studying political science. I can't stand college and prefer working outside the system.

locke

MBTI Type
INFJ
Umm... that last post was supposed to go on this other thread here.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I can clash with ENFP's sometimes...now INFP's, I do great with. I actually tend to get along really well with XSTP's and XSTJ's. My two best freinds are an ENTP and an ENTJ.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
I can smell Fi dominant individuals from a mile away. My first initial reaction is certainly attraction. But when I move closer and examine them, more often than not I'm repulsed. I recognize, especially in myself, that Fi is a very volatile force. At it's worst, it's haughty and at it's best, it's serene. Personally, I've encountered more individuals who fall into the former category rather than the latter category.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've known 3 INFPs in real life. One was my roommate, and while he was a really good guy, he bugged the crap out of me. Whenever he got into the witty but mindlessly detached mode (something I've done many-a-time), I'd get super irritated even as everyone else was laughing.

The other two were women, and I got along with them pretty well. However, we were like two magnets, attracted to each other until we got too close, at which point we pushed each other away.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'd have thought that some pairings of the same type won't get on because they see their own faults in the other. I presently have two INFPs in a group and each swears that the other is a whiny little girl (both males I shoudl point out).

Personally I only tend to have real trouble with ENFPs and ENTPs... not too sure why. Both I offend really easily... usually without realising it... :whistling:

Actually, come to think of it, I tend to get on with EJs and IPs best. Just not always INTPs. Apparently I'm too "unstructured" for many INTPs... an odd complaint in my humble opinion.

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
Apparently I'm too "unstructured" for many INTPs...
UNstructured!? I thought you were a damn J! ;)

re: OP
Looking back through my life, in all honesty, I tend to get along best with EF types. INTPs tend to be ok. I had an ISTJ room mate and we couldn't fine any common ground and really rubbed each other the wrong way. I think I just need the EF to reach out, because I won't.