• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Standing out as an introvert?

SwimmerGal97

I'm proud to be an introvert. It can be frustrating when people think I'm being rude or aloof because I don't like small talk or when they get angry because I declined an invitation to go out for the fifth time in the row because I'd rather watch a film, read a book, bake, paint or anything else that doesn't require the effort of maintaining conversation (not to say I can't hold a conversation its just that even with friends, its hard and I need time to think and reflect). Most of the time I'm perfectly fine with this even in a society seemingly geared towards extroverts (at least as far as people my age are, as a teenager the most common jobs available are in retail. I really REALLY hate working in retail.) However when it comes to things like jobs and university applications, I feel like I'm going to be overlooked. Places and positions are competitive and employers/admissions tutors are looking for confidence, leadership, people who get involved who will really give something to the company or institution. I am quietly confident, not the greatest of leaders as I'd rather do my own thing and my involvement is subtle. I keep in the background but talk to everyone one on one, keep things harmonious. I don't have loads of charity work, fundraisers, extracurricular awards like duke of Edinburgh, I wasn't even a perfect (because 1) I don't fancy running around doing jobs for my head of college and 2) frankly, I don't careif younger students are eating in classrooms, texting in corridors or whatever) so when I'm up against people who have all that and more, how do I stand out without pretending to be something I'm not? Does anyone else feel like this? Is it possible to be happy and successful whilst being utterly drained by other people?

Gawain

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do the thing that makes you happy. That way it's worth the energy expenditure. Most people feel drained after a hard day of work anyway. If only introvert activities make you happy, make a career of the one you like.

I work in a crowded theme park. My roommate also works there, is more introverted than me, deals with social anxiety, and crashes hard after most shifts. Neither one of us would trade it for the world. And yeah, many of my managers (and their managers) are introverts. I'd say it's currently about a 50/50 split. While many companies prefer outgoing, friendly employees, there's nothing exclusively extroverted about that. It's a learned skill. And introverts are more likely to notice when their friendliness is unwelcome and get the hint to shut up and leave the customer alone. But again, of that's something you just don't want to deal with, there are always introverted career paths. Photographer, forest ranger, computer programmer, locksmith, editor, and trucker are just a few things that popped into my mind.

Gawain

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sorry, I think I misunderstood your question. But that bit I said above about our managers still applies. Introverts bring our own unique strengths to the team. There's this book that covers the strengths of introverts in detail. I think it's named "Quiet". (Sorry if that's supposed to be underlined or italic; I can never remember.) Look for teams you would enjoy working with, when they have positions where you believe you have something special to offer. And use your retail experience to help you learn to pitch well, because an interview is basically a sales pitch. If you believe in your product (which in an interview is yourself), then you'll be able to sell it to the right buyer.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
In summary: actions, not words.

Probably the priority for you right now is to try and figure out what you want to do once you leave high school. If you are not interested in medicine, STEM, business or law I would urge you to consider taking up an apprenticeship. Nobody was blunt enough to me that a Music degree (heck, any humanities degree) is essentially useless once you leave college. Most of us can't make a living out of what we love, and the only answer is to compromise.

Thankfully I have figured this out before it is too late, but many people in my situation didn't and have saddled themselves with debt for nothing.

Finding a job is pretty variable. If you are wanting to compete in an occupation with high demand and/or not many available jobs, connections and a well-presented CV definitely matter a lot. There are a lot of good instructional guides around the net that can help with the latter. As an introvert a good way around active networking is to cultivate the contacts you already have (like friends of family) and work from there.