• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

When it comes to organizing/remembering things, are you a lists person?

Do you rely on lists?

• xxTP & I rely on lists

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • xxTP & I rely on my memory

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • xxFP & I rely on lists

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • xxFP & I rely on my memory

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • xxTJ & I rely on lists

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • xxTJ & I rely on my memory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • xxFJ & I rely on lists

• xxFJ & I rely on my memory

• Total voters

DreamBeliever

Personally, I'm not. I never make lists. I prefer to remember what a have to do & what I need inside my head. I was interesting in seeing if it's type related.

á´…eparted

passages
I don't make lists unless I REALLY need them, which is rare.

I have a rather strong memory, so my schedule and tasks I have to do stay in my mind, and I am always aware of it. If I think I am at risk of forgetting something, I will set a reminder in my phone. When I was young, my go-to to remember was to throw a random object in the middle of the floor. Upon seeing it, I'd remember why it was there. 95% of the time my memory is enough. It's exceedingly rare for me to forget something, lose something, miss an appointment, be late, etc.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
if it's truly important, I'll write it on myself or put it in my phone... even if I make a list I lose it pretty promptly :doh:

(for my grocery list thread I cheat and use the receipt :tongue: )

DreamBeliever

I don't make lists unless I REALLY need them, which is rare.

I have a rather strong memory, so my schedule and tasks I have to do stay in my mind, and I am always aware of it. If I think I am at risk of forgetting something, I will set a reminder in my phone. When I was young, my go-to to remember was to throw a random object in the middle of the floor. Upon seeing it, I'd remember why it was there. 95% of the time my memory is enough. It's exceedingly rare for me to forget something, lose something, miss an appointment, be late, etc.

This sounds a lot like myself. The only time I do lose things & forget things is when I'm extremely stressed & my mind feels all grumbled up. I like to joke that I have adhd when I'm stressed. I only ever resort to making lists when things get really bad.

DreamBeliever

if it's truly important, I'll write it on myself or put it in my phone... even if I make a list I lose it pretty promptly :doh:

(for my grocery list thread I cheat and use the receipt :tongue: )

I write things on my hands, if I feel it's really important, & I've been a little spacey lately. I do that way before I ever resort to paper lists.

Jet Stream

Permabanned
MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
gvf
Wish I was way more than i am they would help

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Personally, I'm not. I never make lists. I prefer to remember what a have to do & what I need inside my head. I was interesting in seeing if it's type related.

Yes of course and yes I think it's type related.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I write things on my hands, if I feel it's really important, & I've been a little spacey lately. I do that way before I ever resort to paper lists.

:laugh: I work with my hands, so I tend to write on my arms because I'll wear it off otherwise

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Usually I have complex plans or plenty of stuff to do. Therefore it can be easy to lose track of the details and less important things and therefore lists are good way to make sure everyhing is done. Plus since I have everthing wrote down my mind is more free to think about other things. What is quite relaxing since I know I will not forget anything.
For example right now I have list of over 50 things I want to do this year and it would be really hard to keep tracking of all the stuff for so much time without a list.

However I can take it even one step further: I make lists for other people. :whistling:

Destiny

A wannabe dog
Nope, I rarely rely on lists to remember things.

1) I'm too lazy to write a list
2) I will end up losing the list anyway.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Always. My memory is notoriously awful. I bought a Smartwatch so that I can talk into it when I remember something on the go, because I will forget it five minutes later.

Then I make lists out of all of that stuff.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
However I can take it even one step further: I make lists for other people. :whistling:

Did you do this arbitrarily? If so, did they then try to poison your food or set you on fire?

I did this for an ENFP friend. In my defense, she asked me how to organize tasks better but I wouldn't have done something doomed to fail like write it on paper.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They type of life I want to live / how I live is such that I don't want to be so insanely busy that I need lists, or have so much stuff that needs to be kept track of. haha.

BUT, I will definitely make use of lists if I reach a point where I become overwhelmed/ start feeling scattered and higher levels of stress, then I'll use a list to relieve myself of some of the mental noise, and writing it down to get it out of my head is very helpful.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Did you do this arbitrarily? If so, did they then try to poison your food or set you on fire?

I did this for an ENFP friend. In my defense, she asked me how to organize tasks better but I wouldn't have done something doomed to fail like write it on paper.

Actually my last claim in the post is somewhat of a joke. (but not entirely)
Lists for other people does not necessary have to be something big or nasty. Simple grocery shopping list also qualifies for this.

If you do a serious lists for other people is important that the two of you know each other for a long time and that there is mutual respect. Also if a person is trully stuck and does not know what to do you can disscus the problems with the person and end the conversation with something like "I will think about it and tell you what I think tomorrow". After that you do exacly that, you think things through and write a list or guidelines on a paper so that the person can keep it. Therefore tomorrow you say "Here is what I would do, it is on paper so that you can keep the concept and do what you want with it. But this is how I would do it". Therefore if the person is lost in their problem and your explanation makes sense the odds are that the person will do what is on the list. As long as you do not act like a complete jerk you have a chance.

However I am a guy so this kind of behvaior is probably more tolerated for me. But despite all of this I do have a dictator reputation among many people that know me.
Plus the most important ingredient: I am from a country this is founded in 7th century but our democracy is not older than 15 or 20 years. (it is younger than me) Therefore people are used to listen to authority, especially if authority is civilized and what it says makes sense.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I do rely on lists actually, though I've only started doing it recently. There's a lot of things I want to do and I more often than not forget half of them, so listing them is a good reminder. Like I have a notepad file on my phone with a list of songs that I want to add to my library. When it comes to work, I tend to cut myself so much slack that if I don't have a list I tend to assume I've finished everything I needed to do once I get through something that requires a lot of effort. So having a list also help me in that respect.

That said, I don't actually like work-related lists because they can overwhelm me and stress me out. But once I start crossing things off, it's much easier than trying to remember what else I had to do and scramble to try to find information online or friends who might know.

I love my fun lists though. :wubbie: I've had songs I've needed to download for AGES but still haven't, but if it wasn't for my lists the fact that I want to download them would have been long lost to my memory. Also I like to list out potential activities for specific situations - when I'm at home I want to start a new file on X game, when I'm visiting my friends we should try doing Y, etc. Sometimes really good ideas will come to me that I don't want to forget so my fun lists are really helpful with that.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
FP and no, I hate lists. They make me feel bored and sad and scared and inferior.

Memory it is ... and crossing my fingers and hoping for last minute spurts of energy/miracles.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have an amazing memory, but I still make lists. I don't always do what's on the list though...

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like to use a combination of both, and usually can rely on my memory. Writing lists is almost a fun thing to do, and I tend to do it more when under stress just to make myself feel better (I'm an IxFP)

plastic ciel

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm probably in the minority by being an ISTJ who is just awful at writing stuff down. Awful. And then I don't remember them either, lol.