• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Correlation between type & kids with behavioral problems?

DreamBeliever

I misbehaved a lot in school when I was younger & even ended up in special ed for part of elementary school because if it. Therefore, I'm interested to know if something like this would correlate at all with personality types? I know that your top function is what's most apparent in childhood, so I was wondering if that's what mostly controls things like this? I had a disregard for rules, loved to explore things/wander off, was smart but liked to learn on my own outside of class, & was also shy & kind of a loner.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Same, in pretty much all regards. I think my Ne came in early. At least, that's what your description sounds like to me - Ne.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What about it sounds Ne? Just curious, because I sometimes find it hard to differentiate Ne & Se.

I see Ne as being more about taking in information in order to use it and generate more things, whereas Se just wants to experience it. They may look the same, but Ne is progressive and Se is continuous.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yep I had problems in school. I loved it for a while, but after a while when I realized what it really was, any passion I had for it died very quickly. I am absolutely disgusted by the school system, but as I have gotten into that in other threads I will leave it at: once I stopped seeing school as important, it all went down with the boat- I am very much an all or nothing person: and nothing waved out far and wide to include 'behavior'.

DreamBeliever

I see Ne as being more about taking in information in order to use it and generate more things, whereas Se just wants to experience it. They may look the same, but Ne is progressive and Se is continuous.
In that case, I think I use Se. I really just want to experience things. What confuses me is the fact that I heard that both seek new experiences.

DreamBeliever

Yep I had problems in school. I loved it for a while, but after a while when I realized what it really was, any passion I had for it died very quickly. I am absolutely disgusted by the school system, but as I have gotten into that in other threads I will leave it at: once I stopped seeing school as important, it all went down with the boat- I am very much an all or nothing person: and nothing waved out far and wide to include 'behavior'.
I've been going to school since head start, before I even went to preschool, & I couldn't stand it from the very beginning.

á´…eparted

passages
I had behavorial problem, attributed to Aspergers mostly. I was also in special ed for english.

I don't think there is a strong relation to type.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My behavioral problems were just inattentiveness, trouble switching gears when focused on one task and having to leave it for another, and being a crybaby. I don't have Ne or Si, for the record.

DreamBeliever

My behavioral problems were just inattentiveness, trouble switching gears when focused on one task and having to leave it for another, and being a crybaby. I don't have Ne or Si, for the record.

I used to walk straight out of class & wander the hallways. lol I was tested for adhd, but I don't have it. In fact, my attention span has always be really good.

DreamBeliever

I had behavorial problem, attributed to Aspergers mostly. I was also in special ed for english.

I don't think there is a strong relation to type.

Yeah, mine wasn't do to lacking behind or anything. In fact, I had no accommodations. I actually got straight As for a lot of years. Mine was just behavioral issues.

MyCupOfTea

MBTI Type
INxP
I had awful teenage years. Don't even want to remember that stuff much. Didn't misbehave so much at school, though. It was more like skipping classes and trying to be as invisible as possible. Don't think that it's so type related in my case because I think that it's more about being bullied at the time. All that escalated at home where I isolated myself, screamed and shouted horrible things to my parents. I just knew the most hurtful things to say... At the same time I was super sensitive so I started hating myself for it but the same time couldn't help myself. I never told about the bullying at home because I didn't trust my parents enough that they'd been capable of dealing it. I wrote a diary back then but burned it later because the stuff I wrote there was just... too much.

Later I've wondered if the bad temper at home was something to do with out-of-control inferior Te.

DreamBeliever

I had awful teenage years. Don't even want to remember that stuff much. Didn't misbehave so much at school, though. It was more like skipping classes and trying to be as invisible as possible. Don't think that it's so type related in my case because I think that it's more about being bullied at the time. All that escalated at home where I isolated myself, screamed and shouted horrible things to my parents. I just knew the most hurtful things to say... At the same time I was super sensitive so I started hating myself for it but the same time couldn't help myself. I never told about the bullying at home because I didn't trust my parents enough that they'd been capable of dealing it. I wrote a diary back then but burned it later because the stuff I wrote there was just... too much.

Later I've wondered if the bad temper at home was something to do with out-of-control inferior Te.

Sorry to hear what you went through. :(

Carpe Vinum

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good questions, [MENTION=24321]DreamBeliever[/MENTION]

I don't know what an official study would say, but having taught high school for 12+ years, I've never personally seen a correlation between personality type and specific behavioral problems. Simply put, I've seen every kind of student have every kind of problem.

However, you could still be on to something. I believe I have seen a correlation between personality type and misdiagnoses of certain behavioral problems. Again, nothing official there. Just my own observations. I think that some students just don't get the help they need developing and learning to manage functions like Ne or Se, so they give the impression of having conditions like ADHD. I see that label get thrown on ESxP students the most. It happens quite often with ENxP students, too, but then "the test" says otherwise and the school community is baffled.

So yeah...going back to your original question, I don't know if there's a correlation, but I would not be surprised. If there is a study, I'd love to read it.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
In that case, I think I use Se. I really just want to experience things. What confuses me is the fact that I heard that both seek new experiences.

Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

I used to walk straight out of class & wander the hallways. lol I was tested for adhd, but I don't have it. In fact, my attention span has always be really good.

I would sit on the toilet so long I remember the teacher having to come find me, and we didn't even have phones then. What could I have been doing?

:cheers:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was in the accelerated class... and was also sent to a special cooperation class with the school councilor which I mainly just trolled for my own amusement until I got kicked out :thumbdown:

I was not a good kid... class was boring because they wanted to make us sit still in our seats and quietly work on things that I already knew and I got yelled at whenever I pulled out a book to read that wasn't a part of class during "study time" even if I knew the stuff. Our classes were combined with two grade levels together, so I always learned both grade level's stuff the first year (that which I didn't already know) and for the second year spent the whole time trying not to die of boredom... I did things like sleep in the coat closet, ask to go to the restroom and wander the school or leave and explore the area and hiding books I wanted to read inside books that I didn't want to read. I failed citizenship every semester they gave us grades in it except for the time that we got to allocate our extra credit to any subject we wanted and I put mine in citizenship... my mom was so suspicious when I got a D that semester :laugh:

it was just awful... I really wanted to learn things and it mostly felt like the school didn't want us to learn things that they hadn't approved of yet. I kept telling my mom that I was going to drop out as soon as it was legal to do so just because I didn't feel like there was any point in attending. It finally got a bit better once we got to switch around between different classrooms and subjects higher up and such...

in a way though, I still feel a bit like I get a "not smart" stigma from people a good portion of the time because I'm kind of bad :unsure:

I don't think it's really type related

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I elementary school I was mostly fine, unintentionally broke a few rules~the ones that were more based on teachers individual preference and that really didn't make much sense to me and the ones that really only affected myself and were not disruptive so I couldn't and still can't understand why they were problems if I could still get on fine while doing them, be back in five minutes for the bathroom, pay attention, do 20 problems not 5. But for the most part I was unobtrusive if a bit absent minded and odd. I was a crier though, but really only for things that I felt guilty about and I felt I had reason to be- so I was a brutally honest confesser so maybe I got myself in more trouble than I could have. Got away with less.

Middle school I stopped giving any sort of shit. Passive aggressive resistance. Sitting there staring at the clock, chewing gum obnoxiously, leaving class, skipping class, not doing homework-ever, arguing with teachers, that sort of stuff. I had to see the most inane guidance counselor on the planet for the entirety of the three years because I was failing because of pretty much total withdrawl. Talked to me like I was five years old and would get frusterated when her one size fit all plan didn't work on me because it legitimately addressed nothing beyond cheaply covering the direct issue at hand. Not clever but true, her voice gave me diabetes and going to her distressed me so much that I starting throwing raging tantrums at my mom until she eventually had enough and tried to get me out of it. Oh I was pretty awful to that counselor though, sarcastic as all hell and it was pretty damn obvious that I thought and her ideas were not worth the spit she globbed to state them. Actually though I really enjoyed middle school because I was in the advanced programs for whatever reason after a while, and they were actually so much better and so much more interesting I actually found them easier. I still had my little rebellions though, more than my fair share of homework detentions- my friends were suprised when I didn't have one- and the occasional regular detention or trip to the office.

Highschool was middle school on crack but without the gooey gushy my brain is falling out of my head and I hope you don't notice if I just keep talking and proclaiming my authority and superior knowledge/age/wisdom and threatening you that I actually don't know shit and you and the stapler next to me are smarter than me.She was ESFJ 2w1 as fuck btw- but that is just her and her stupidity expressed through her type, plenty of smart ESFJ's. But yeah, most of any misbehavior I had was out of frusteration, outrage over something going on (teacher who shows up and decides to hand out worksheets and eat cereal the whole time), than anything else. I had a whole, I enjoy the class you will enjoy the class, you get what you give sort of philosophy. And sometimes if it got to that extent it wasn't always passive, get me in the right spot and no mercy.

Actually going of that, makes sense that while all types are certainly capable of certain behaviors, the movitations, intent, methods, and ways they come off can be very different. An ENTJ with the same goals as the ESFJ start off with the same thought/plan in mind- but their reaction to the situation differ thereby changing how they are percieved. Two kids in similar situation, an ESTP and an ISTJ maybe, might end up the same way through different means, but the methodology is different. This isnt very clean, maybe I will get back to it later.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I was a very easygoing, mellow, and sweet little girl. By late elementary school, my Ne started developing, and I become a little more bouncy and quirky. However, I was still well-behaved. Yeah, in 7th grade I tried to be "badass" because I was insecure, so I guess that's the exception year. Once I got comfortable in my own skin, I settled down. I still had an inner fire, though. It manifested in idiosyncrasy. By now, I'm certainly not a troublemaker, but I don't just go through the motions and settle into a life of conformity. If something's messed up, I'll speak out against it. Otherwise, I'm pretty easygoing.

I don't know where I was going with that ramble. But no, I've never had behavioral problems. I don't think there's a huge correlation--there might be, but I don't know. I certainly wasn't the stereotypical ENFP, that's for sure.