• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extraversion and Talkativeness

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Extroverts tend to be more personal when talking..or that after, say, five minutes of talking to them after you've met them you know that they have two kids, are working 3 jobs, their dog died yesterday, and that they just got over the flu..and I'm not saying all extroverts do this, but this is a black and white definition between introverts, and extroverts...just take Jerry Seinfeld for instance..very strong introvert, really, but he was a stand-up comedian that could talk and talk..so it's not how much you talk, necessarily, (although it does play a part), but what you choose to talk about..

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Journalist is generally talkative, but I identify many of them has as an introvert judger judging function.

rav3n

My INTP husband talks more than I do. Once they trust you, they're often very chatty.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I am a highly extraverted ( about 86% according to the big five) ENTJ.

But there are few things in this world which I despise more than small talk and loud people.

I don’t have much of a temper, to the point that people are taken aback when I loose it and it is always over the same thing; when I just cannot stand the sound of some blathering idiot’s voice and have, before I realize it, creatively threatened them with bodily harm if they don’t “ Shut the hell up!”

Oh, and I can’t stand the stupid shit people argue about.When my friends start to vehemently bicker about some trivial shit ( like video games lore) I’ll get up and leave.

Caribelle

Introverts with aux Fe (Isfj, Infj) an be very sociable and talk quite a bit, as we like to help others feel comfortable. I can see an Isfj seeming more extroverted, than say an Entj/Entp.

Caribelle

Well, I know an ESFP who is quite taciturn... who'd have thought it eh? He's in his 60's now, though a very young sort since he never had kids and kept very fit, he's fitter than I am at half his age, he does a lot of socializing, he's always busy busy busy, has zillions of friends and yet... yet... he never really talks to any of them! Very odd... I know an INTP though, who never shuts the fuck up. I mean he literally NEVER shuts up. He's a total bore as well. Just rambles on and on about his pet subject (geology, like anyone relates!!). And he always talks in big long words and fancy phrases - not that I've anything against a good vocabulary you understand, it's just that he talks as if he's reading from a fantasy novel if you know what I mean? Like someone says "dude, this sauce is ace!" and I say "yeah it's not too sweet like the other brand" and he'll say "yes, I adore the way it unfolds upon the tongue like a bud opening to the touch of a bee's kiss in June" or something. I also know an ISTJ who totally dominates all roleplaying games and doesn't let anyone else talk, ever. There was a long phase in my life during which I didn't say much, mainly because my social skills were for shit and I didn't know how to get along in a group so I just stayed quiet since usually when I said anything it was wrong. To this day I often sorta set myself a mission before a particular social encounter, to keep my mouth shut and say as little as possible. It's harder now though, gets harder and harder as time goes on... the drive to externalize, the things that come into my head, the questions that I NEED to ask... if I'm in a situation where there are people around and for some reason talking is not permitted or just talking BY ME is either not permitted or just not advisable (like I don't have anything to add, they're talking about shit I don't relate to) I leave the place feeling exceedingly bottled up, frustrated and just soooo down. The only antidote is to invite my ISTP friend around and over a few beers we'll talk and rant and laugh and check stuff out [details deleted lol] and by 3am I feel soooo much better! Although I'm very talkative, I HATE monologuing. Hate it, passionately. I only talk because I want the other person to talk back. I love conversations. I don't just love the sound of my own voice and I'm not trying to get attention or impress people like these guys do. I talk because I want to hear YOU talk back, I'm interested in you.[

I find Intps to be very longwinded.....

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think for me it boils down to my not thinking there's much worth saying or much that's new to talk about. I think some of that's why I don't talk very much. I'm not going to talk about the details of my weekend because they'll mean nothing to you/ most people won't actually care anyway, and frankly it might be completely boring and uneventful so there's nothing to say. Yet a lot of people talk about this anyway. :shrug: If something is actually thought provoking, interesting, new, I can enjoy the conversation, or I feel I have something to say. But I don't just talk just to say something. And I grow excessively weary of any sort of monologue-ing. An actual back and forth *conversation* is one thing; it is dynamic and both people actually get something out of it; listening to someone go on and on for five, ten, fifteen minutes is draining to the extreme. I'm hyper aware of cues other people give that indicate if they are uninterested, losing interest, whatnot (perhaps why I learned over time not to say much myself - most people don't actually seem to be interested, nor do they ask questions indicating they are actively involved or engaged in what's being said), so it puzzles me when other people don't do this as well.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely times when a friend - or even acquaintance - has something truly sensitive or vulnerable or simply something real, and complex, or whatnot, where they might talk for quite a long time and I 'just listen'. I'm not talking about this, this is a true interaction and totally dynamic, just in a different way.

I don't know, there are people who talk endlessly who in the end say pretty much nothing (I guess you're just present to be the person who is the receiver of said monologue? I work with someone like this but she learned I'm not someone who gleefully wants to 'receive' it), then there are people who actually say things of substance. This isn't an introversion/extroversion thing, any tendency to monologue or 'talk a lot'. Though I guess I'd say extroverts maybe more readily 'spread the wealth' and talk more confidently to more people, and introverts probably only babble to trusted ones.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Introverts with aux Fe (Isfj, Infj) an be very sociable and talk quite a bit, as we like to help others feel comfortable. I can see an Isfj seeming more extroverted, than say an Entj/Entp.

This muct be my best friend. She’s an INFP who will yammer on not only incessantly, but loudly. In public. I oft3n have to remind her she is.

It’s interesting to note, that in my experience, it is my most introverted friends who seem entirely unaware of how loud thier soeaking voices are. They practically yell most of the time.

Permabanned

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*laughs at how long some of the posts in this thread are*

:alttongue:

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can only speak for introverts, as an introvert. I think the combination of introverts generally being more careful and reflecting, as well as some of them being more selective and energy-conserving are what contributes to them talking less. In other words, provided they are ready as well as having reason and/or occasion to speak provided those parameters are filled, could easily lead them to talking quite a bit. Where the thresholds lie and on what interests the thresholds do exist differ from introvert to introvert, some being more apparently obvious, and some a little less. I can go into very detailed lengths when explaining or instructing things, but I find other types of social interaction to much more tiresome, and drain me much more quickly.