• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Messy/unorganized Js & neat/clean Ps?

DreamBeliever

So typically Js are described as neat & clean & Ps are described as messy & unorganized. While I think that plays out true for a lot of people, I think it can be misleading for others. I also think people can keep their surroundings clean for different reasons. For example, Se users might keep their stuff neat for the aesthetic appeal of it, as opposed to Te users who just prefer their things to be orderly. Also, where does time management skills fall into all of this? How do you define being neat & organized? Have you known any messy Js or any super neat Ps? Are the Js still more organized in other areas? Do any of the stereotypes have merit to them? How does liking or not liking closure come into play? How messy or organized do you consider yourself to be?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a little bit of a P stereotype unfortunately, but I do think this is a common misconception in typology. I don't usually consider this when I'm trying to type people unless one extreme is super apparent and kinda smacks you in the face. Even then, I don't give it much weight.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a messy J (not notorious though haha I keep some places clean).

Many INFP's are actually really organized (tertiary Si).

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INFJs are usually organized in their brains, not their desks.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Hmm, I'd disagree with you on that. Our dominant function is a perceiving function, I'd say again with the INFP's types.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Internet forumites inclined to badmouth the MBTI (or the J/P dichotomy in particular) as a collection of superficial stereotypes often point to the notion that J's are neat and P's are messy and roll their eyes. And it's true that, to a large degree, neat/messy isn't a very good J/P indicator, especially if you're talking about NJs and NPs. Neatness, to the extent that it functions as at least a half-decent type indicator, is more of an SJ thing than a general J thing.

And it's possibly also worth noting that there are no J/P items on the official "Step I" MBTI that relate to neatness.

gromit

likes this
I'm by nature more messy but I do love the feeling of being in a clean, beautiful, functional space, so I make it a priority to care for my space and organize it in a way that makes sense. This has definitely been an area that I learned than something that came automatically to me, and when I get stressed out and overwhelmed (eg with grad school exams, etc) then the physical space suffers until I have the time and energy to dedicate to it again.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm, I'd disagree with you on that. Our dominant function is a perceiving function, I'd say again with the INFP's types.

I found this:

Personality Page.com said:
Consequently, INFJs put a tremendous amount of faith into their instincts and intuitions. This is something of a conflict between the inner and outer worlds, and may result in the INFJ not being as organized as other Judging types tend to be. Or we may see some signs of disarray in an otherwise orderly tendency, such as a consistently messy desk.

I resisted the idea of being a J over the messy desk issue, lol....

Kas

Fabula rasa
I'm rather a stereotype. I'm messy, easily forget about everything ( so I write everything down in my calendar) and I put things in random places ( keys in the fridge? yep it happened :D).

I'm very punctual though.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a bit messy. I keep it to a minimum by not having many things. Not out of consideration to propriety, it's just that I have trouble thinking with too much clutter.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My son is a P, probably ESTP and he is pretty organized.

My ENFJ can be super forgetful of items. He needs one of those little pouches they use to give kids when they flew by themselves. Mostly I just stick his keys, phones and anything else important right in his briefcase and leave it at that.

Carpe Vinum

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm much better than my wife (ESFJ) at keeping my personal space neat and organized. I have a spot where I like to keep everything. My wife tosses her sunglasses/keys/hair bands wherever and then needs help finding them later.

However, she is MUCH better than me at keeping track of appointments, plans, events, etc. I'll make notes on my calendar and then forget to check it. She's also much better at planning parties and events than me and never forgets anything that is said in conversation.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I found this:

I resisted the idea of being a J over the messy desk issue, lol....

Almost yeah for me too so a Pi(disarray) over a Je (orderly tendency).

Oh it is consistently messy. :dry:

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've always said that my head is way too chaotic a place for my surroundings to be the same. I like to keep my surroundings neat and minimal which is completely at odds with ENTP stereotypes.

Duffy

I'm organized in thought, but not so much in reality. I've had so many times where I've missed details in the physical world that people look at me as if I'm on crack. Misplaced keys are bane to my existence. I think the thing is, I have an idea how things should be, but of course reality doesn't conform to this, and I'm left bewildered why this is, even though logically, I know it's an absurdity to feel this way.

á´…eparted

passages
Organization is my shit. I organize everything. Disorganization stresses me out. I can be a bit messy with my apartment, but it's basically limited to clothes and dishes. I also almost never lose my stuff (I haven't lost my keys since I was 16). I never forget appointments, deadlines, etc.

/Jstereotype

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm displeased by the aesthetics of clutter, so I tend to keep the house rather orderly... not to say that it's in an order that makes sense to anyone else, but there's not clutter lying about

my car, however, is another story... the back seat is covered with clothes, shoes, textbooks, antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid and other things that I keep tossing back there which may be useful at some point and I can't remember to take into the house :laugh:

otherwise, I'm a good P... I hate things that are set in stone and thrive in situations of chaos

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not that messy, it's just that I don't have the patience or attention span for cleaning so maybe that motivates me to put stuff back in its proper place before anything gets too dirty

MyCupOfTea

MBTI Type
INxP
I'm messy. I wish I was more organized because now I end up doing everything at the last minute. Like now for example: We are going to have some guests coming over next weekend. Our house is in a chaos as usual. If I started cleaning a little every day starting from today I wouldn't have to do everything on Friday. What a great plan! Will I follow it? ...no.

Well, maybe this isn't really type related... I just lack self decipline...

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am an extremly messy and unorganized P... My boyfriend once told me he wouldn't be suprised if a dinosaur came out of my closeth, that's how extreme I am :D .