• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Concerns over the scientific wellbeing of Type threads

Which is more important?

• Total voters

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
What the fuck is going on here guys?

The recent flood of type related threads truly are an embarrassment. Starting with the retaliatory Why do thinkers hate F??????? to Bluewing's (who, by the way is not wrong) recent 'attacks': threads such as TLL's and this gem ending with all those wonderous "which type is most ____"

Cut it out.

Oh and those obsequious, pandering N vs. S threads...
Lemme clue you guys in on something. Being intuitive is a fair indicator of elevated intelligence. It's not even a debate.
There ARE dumb intuitives though, and there ARE smart sensors.

Ask grayscale. One of the more intelligent posters on the board passing up a good number of the intuitives. He's an S. I always commend him in situations like these. The hero of the Ss? Perhaps, but he's not alone.

It's possible to be smart, and be a sensor.

How about a brain teaser. Could being intuitive possibly be the result of rather than a cause of intelligence?
That is to ask, is it likely, or probable if, contingent on intelligence, you'll develop intuitive functions, rather than sensate functions?

Call me a terrorist if you will. You won't be the first. The truth is terrifying, I agree with you.
This doesn't change the fact that you're taking it too personally, if you're a sensor.

Let me post this question to you:

Which matters more?
A) being intelligent
B) being intuitive, and presumed intelligent

Choose in the poll.

If answer A has the higher number of votes, I'll know we're a pack of liars who's rhetoric conflicts their action.

You're all asking the wrong questions. It's no wonder Victor hates typology.
Well... I do too.
Point being, let's stop with the trolling and superficiality.

Chisel the stones, after you excavate them.
A sculpture is no good if it's stuck in the ground. Imagine if da Vinci left his art in the earth.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's reasonable to say that Intuitives are more visionary or imaginative, while Sensors are more here-and-now and detail-oriented, but that has nothing to do with actual intelligence. Nor does N make a person more adept at seeing the consequences of actions -- that has more to do with a judgment function -- N is simply perceiving from the unconscious, looking from within (intuit means to look inward, and this is different from introvert, which means to turn inward).

I also don't understand what being an N has to do with being more open-minded.

sleepless

MBTI Type
INFJ
Um... well I don't really like it either how people get so categorical about the types, and the S/N dichotomy, but I don't see what you have against the thread by TLL? I thought it was necessary... BlueWing is not wrong, huh? :huh: Isn't he the most categorical of all (not to say that he seems to have misunderstood the T/F scale)?

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
It really is hard work ignoring all these who's better than who threads.

'though I haven't a fucking clue what this poll's about.

This thread needs more profanity.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm not gonna vote cause I agree, the conversations about which type/function is superior shit me to tears!

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
It's reasonable to say that Intuitives are more visionary or imaginative, while Sensors are more here-and-now and detail-oriented, but that has nothing to do with actual intelligence.
Ugh... thanks for reminding me of the contrast of S and N. I wondered if I had it correct.
Nor does N make a person more adept at seeing the consequences of actions
Intelligence is not solely contingent on recognizing consequence. Understanding is a more necessary component. Intuition isn't about pixies and day dreaming. You've confused introversion with intuition. There are obvious parallels. But introversion has in common components of every function.
that has more to do with a judgment function -- N is simply perceiving from the unconscious, looking from within (intuit means to look inward, and this is different from introvert, which means to turn inward).
Again, thank you for the tutorial, but I'm certain I'm more knowledgeable than you.

I also don't understand what being an N has to do with being more open-minded.
Open minded? Who said anything about that? Also, since when does being open minded have anything to do with intelligence, or was a ranting piggyback?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If people want to start N v S threads or T v F threads to find out the 'differences' among the functions, fine. What gets my goat is people then applying value systems and saying one is 'better' than another. Usually I respond to such threads with some snarky remarks about my farting dog just to make them see how ridiculous the whole thing is.

For someone who means it well, I usually take the time to try to explain to the person that it does not really matter who is better or worse. There is no better or worse. We all have different abilities and I think these abilities transcend 'type' to a certain degree.

Anyway, typing is a tool to help us understand the human psyche better. Once it starts to devolve into this is this and that is that like a bunch of kindergardeners - then it's time to scratch your head and ask yourself if you might not be seeing the real point of the whole thing.

*sigh* I love the fact that there are introverted people, sensing types, thinkers, and judgers just as much as I love people who are extraverted, intuitive, feelers and perceivers. Crap - we need everyone - or else these different types would not exist. Geez louise, when are people gonna get it?!?!!

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Um... well I don't really like it either how people get so categorical about the types, and the S/N dichotomy, but I don't see what you have against the thread by TLL? I thought it was necessary... BlueWing is not wrong, huh? :huh: Isn't he the most categorical of all (not to say that he seems to have misunderstood the T/F scale)?

He certainly is, and I agree with you. I don't have to disagree with him though.

Categories aren't all incorrect.
It's just that we have to move beyond the number-line he favors. Things are not on a simple continuum.

There's more disarray in the universe than he would like to admit.

A multi-pocket Venn diagram of typology would be ideal.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
If people want to start N v S threads or T v F threads to find out the 'differences' among the functions, fine. What gets my goat is people then applying value systems and saying one is 'better' than another.
But they are better than one another in certain areas. It's unavoidable. If they weren't, they'd all be synonymous, and we'd all be XXXX.

However, type in any direction does not cause superior ability.

Most approach this backwards.
It's that we type people based on their abilities and habits.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ

The choices are all very insulting to T types. There isn't any single choice than doesn't make Ts look ignorant or mean or scared of emotions or somthing very insulting. To me this suggests that a real diaglog is not desired. A better way to handle this would be an open ended question of why thinkers and feelers sometimes don't think highly of each others functions.

Instead it is mearly bashing thinkers for bashing feelers. And because some thinkers have given feelers a hard time, it is presumed that all thinkers have it in for feelers.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I read it wrong. I didn't catch the word "some."

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
How about a brain teaser. Could being intuitive possibly be the result of rather than a cause of intelligence?
That is to ask, is it likely, or probable if, contingent on intelligence, you'll develop intuitive functions, rather than sensate functions?

I think there is some truth to this In that to understand anything complex or difficult you will need to have some sort of ability to see the many connections and links. I think I read something about an autistic with an extremely vivid photographic memory who only understood anything as it related to it ( had no intuitive sense of money just remembered connections i.e big mac is 2.30). While the process he went through to arrive at conclusions was not inherently intuitive it seemed so externally because he had a ridiculous ability to see the whole picture and see every minute detail so he could quickly retrieve the relevant details without plodding through blindly. I think that is an extreme albeit relevant example of a highly "intelligent" S whose abilities and intelligence is contingent on the intuitive leaps he can make from his photographic memory.

sleepless

MBTI Type
INFJ
Ilah said:
The choices are all very insulting to T types. There isn't any single choice than doesn't make Ts look ignorant or mean or scared of emotions or somthing very insulting. To me this suggests that a real diaglog is not desired. A better way to handle this would be an open ended question of why thinkers and feelers sometimes don't think highly of each others functions.

Instead it is mearly bashing thinkers for bashing feelers. And because some thinkers have given feelers a hard time, it is presumed that all thinkers have it in for feelers.

I don't know if by your last post you changed your mind, but I still want to answer to this... or rather I just want to add one thing: TLL is actually T, so rather than being a thread where Fs can get together and bash Ts, it's a T asking the Fs, so I think it's very much a dialogue.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If people want to start N v S threads or T v F threads to find out the 'differences' among the functions, fine.
Exactly, isn't that the point of having these forums?

Still, the OP is right, people are taking these too personally.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know if by your last post you changed your mind, but I still want to answer to this... or rather I just want to add one thing: TLL is actually T, so rather than being a thread where Fs can get together and bash Ts, it's a T asking the Fs, so I think it's very much a dialogue.

I didn't even notice that.

I was retracting the part where I said it was a generalization about all thinkers, because the post does include the word some.

I am looking at the poll choices:

1. They are emotionally immature.
2. They just don't understand how feelers make decisions.
3. They confuse emotion with the MBTI definition of feeler.
4. They have an irrational fear of empathy.
5. They lack social skills.
6. They're big meanies!
7. Feelers are simply better at resolving conflict and dealing with their emotions
8. Feelers demonize thinkers in private instead of openly.
9. I'm a feeler and I think feelers suck too.

Some of the choices, like 2 and 3 are pretty neutral. However, 1, 4, 5, and 6 seem like insults to me. Part of it is word choice. For example, I don't have a problem saying an F would be more emotionally developed that me, but the phrase "emotionally immature" is insulting.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Who cares? What does intelligence get you anyway?

Personally, I think most if not all people are so far from maximizing their intelligence potential, that it's meaningless to assign a value. We can all do more, be better.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
What the fuck is going on here guys?

The recent flood of type related threads truly are an embarrassment. Starting with the retaliatory Why do thinkers hate F??????? to Bluewing's (who, by the way is not wrong) recent 'attacks': threads such as TLL's and this gem ending with all those wonderous "which type is most ____"

Cut it out.

Oh and those obsequious, pandering N vs. S threads...
Lemme clue you guys in on something. Being intuitive is a fair indicator of elevated intelligence. It's not even a debate.
There ARE dumb intuitives though, and there ARE smart sensors.

Ask grayscale. One of the more intelligent posters on the board passing up a good number of the intuitives. He's an S. I always commend him in situations like these. The hero of the Ss? Perhaps, but he's not alone.

It's possible to be smart, and be a sensor.

Call me a terrorist if you will. You won't be the first. The truth is terrifying, I agree with you.
This doesn't change the fact that you're taking it too personally, if you're a sensor.

Let me post this question to you:

Which matters more?
A) being intelligent
B) being intuitive, and presumed intelligent

Choose in the poll.

If answer A has the higher number of votes, I'll know we're a pack of liars who's rhetoric conflicts their action.

You're all asking the wrong questions. It's no wonder Victor hates typology.
Well... I do too.
Point being, let's stop with the trolling and superficiality.

Chisel the stones, after you excavate them.
A sculpture is no good if it's stuck in the ground. Imagine if da Vinci left his art in the earth.

Do you need some laxatives? Because you sure are full of shit.

Bluewing is wrong.

If intelligence is defined in non type-discriminatory terms (in other words, valueing multiple intelligences)(any other definition of intelligence is biased bullshit), no type is "smarter" than any other type.

Your 'brain teaser' is idiotic and completely meaningless, since it still refers to a conventional definition of intelligence- you are preaching about asking new and better questions while you reassert the same old formulaic crap.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
And as for the TLL and such threads, I know they are full of false assumption, but I say the self-identifying T's have, overall, brought it upon themselves. They wanted to play the stereotypical "T=tough guy" type role, now they pay for it.

What dissapoints me is how those threads just as much as the BW threads continue to enforce misconceptions about type. We should stop assuming that people are they type they say they are. That's why the "mistyped memberz' thread was one of the best things that ever happened to this forum.

And I do feel bad for thinking types who never went along with this idiotic role-playing and yet are facing name calling from self-identified feeling types.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Some of the choices, like 2 and 3 are pretty neutral. However, 1, 4, 5, and 6 seem like insults to me. Part of it is word choice. For example, I don't have a problem saying an F would be more emotionally developed that me, but the phrase "emotionally immature" is insulting.

The purpose of the thread was to open a dialogue about why some people with a thinking preference seem to see "Thinking" as superior to "Feeling". Due to the nature of the topic I knew some would want to give thoughtful answers, some would mostly vent, and some would do both. I wanted to give people the freedom to reply in whatever way they wanted. For most of the "venting" options I worded them in a tongue-in-cheek way, i.e. "they're big meanies", heh. "Emotionally immature" wasn't meant to be tongue-in-cheek though. I used that phrase because I would consider a younger version of myself to be emotionally immature. It wasn't really meant to be an insult, but if you want to be insulted then you are more than free to feel that way. :)

Also I don't see why people make a big deal about certain threads existing. If you don't like it, then the simple solution is to avoid it. For example I think this thread was pretty pointless from the get go, so I was going to avoid posting in it. ;) I changed my mind though since I figured I owed Ilah an explanation.