• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Concerns over the scientific wellbeing of Type threads

Which is more important?

• Total voters

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Right... so instead, steal a word! Talk about intelligent acumen!

For what word? Intelligence or rationality? Let's not merge my clearly separate agendas.
This coming from one of them.

Sure. It's possible. I don't disagree. Are you reading my post? I didn't say N > S, I said that it's worth considering that perhaps if you were born smart, you're more naturally inclined to develop intuitive tendencies. Intuition, being the result of, NOT CAUSE.

the dictionary thing I looked up was a definition of 'intelligence'

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
haha, no worries, I cant change the weather :) [Not yet tho :devil:]

besides, I already know how to change the weather. Fly a plane over a cloud while burning silver iodide crystals, then spew the smoke into the cloud. It'll make more ice crystals form in the cloud, and increase rainfall by 10-15%, or not at all. yeah, my hunch is cloud seeding doesn't work.

Or you can pour huge amounts of oil onto the ocean in front of a hurricane, and it will change the path and strength of the hurricane (but probably not in the way you wanted it to).

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Furthermore, I like discussions about logic, but I dont like the philosopher's tone.

"Most important. Without logic you cannot give structure to your judgments or clearly see what your judgments are about. What could be more important?"

You can without any problem give structure to a judgement without logic, by just doing it. that is what good dictators are made of.

The tone; I dont like it, it is an invitation to narrow-mindedness in my opinion.

----

And something more, in the beginning of the thread, I guess nocap said something BlueWing did not understand. That I wanted to correct.

It is "If A means B does that not mean not B means not A" That means, if A = B , does that not mean - A = - B and that is absolutly correct.

Evolves arround mathematical logic though

If A mean B, not B does not mean not A.

A is the core of B. But it is not limited to B.

For example.

If I bought the tickets, then I went to the game.

I did not go to the game. Therefore I did not buy the tickets.

Not necessarily true, as there may have been other reasons for me to have boguht the tickets.

If it said I bought the tickets if and only if I went to the game, than yes, not B would mean not A. Because in this case A is restricted to interrelations only with B. In the primary example, it is not. This is the distinction between just 'if', and if and only if.

Dictators do use logic to give structure to their lectures. They win over the audience not by reasoning, but through an appeal to emotion. However, they would be well advised to structure their appeal to emotion as clearly as possible. That way they know what they are doing. This is what logical reasoning does. Informs us of the structure of our ideas. Inevitably, there is structure to all things, as they could be analyzed. But whether we are aware of that is not clear. For example, we can conceive someone having an emotional outburst, we could clearly pinpoint what has ignited their passions, what they said, and how the two interrelate. Their ignorance of that logical structure of the statements they have made does not preclude such a structure from existing.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

For example.

Not necessarily true, as there may have been other reasons for me to have boguht the tickets.

If it said I bought the tickets if and only if I went to the game, than yes, not B would mean not A. Because in this case A is restricted to interrelations only with B. In the primary example, it is not. This is the distinction between just 'if', and if and only if.

You are missing something here. It says A equals B that means, I bought tickets to go to a game. Other things would be A unequals B , or B is not part of A.

The formula stands, what you do is philosophy, what is nice but wasnt meant by the formula.

Dictators do use logic to give structure to their lectures. They win over the audience not by reasoning, but through an appeal to emotion. However, they would be well advised to structure their appeal to emotion as clearly as possible. That way they know what they are doing. This is what logical reasoning does. Informs us of the structure of our ideas. Inevitably, there is structure to all things, as they could be analyzed. But whether we are aware of that is not clear. For example, we can conceive someone having an emotional outburst, we could clearly pinpoint what has ignited their passions, what they said, and how the two interrelate. Their ignorance of that logical structure of the statements they have made does not preclude such a structure from existing.

Yea I know, you do not have to explain, we had a dictator once :). What I wanted to say was more like, they do not need a logical cause to do their things, so logic cant be the fundamental thing to make a judgement at this point. But I am splitting hairs here, guess we both know what is meant.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP

For example.

Your are exactly right! Demagogues use appeals to emotion!...depending on who's demonic function they're trying to brainwash.

Haven't you realized yet that every process from the inferior downward is emotional, not just feeling-attitudes?

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Logic is what makes the difference between good judgment and bad judgment.

Depends on the situation. If I was a hostage in a botched bank robbery I would rather the police negotiater was Fe dominant than Ti dominant to make the desicions.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
Thank you for the explanation. I may post something in the thread after all.

I was subjected to lots of verbal bullying as a child, so I think because of that I was responding to it a bit more personally and emotionally than I generally do. Ironically, I think it was the childish language that did it, becuase it reminded me of the playground bullies.

Ilah

The purpose of the thread was to open a dialogue about why some people with a thinking preference seem to see "Thinking" as superior to "Feeling". Due to the nature of the topic I knew some would want to give thoughtful answers, some would mostly vent, and some would do both. I wanted to give people the freedom to reply in whatever way they wanted. For most of the "venting" options I worded them in a tongue-in-cheek way, i.e. "they're big meanies", heh. "Emotionally immature" wasn't meant to be tongue-in-cheek though. I used that phrase because I would consider a younger version of myself to be emotionally immature. It wasn't really meant to be an insult, but if you want to be insulted then you are more than free to feel that way. :)

Also I don't see why people make a big deal about certain threads existing. If you don't like it, then the simple solution is to avoid it. For example I think this thread was pretty pointless from the get go, so I was going to avoid posting in it. ;) I changed my mind though since I figured I owed Ilah an explanation.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
wow, i didn't realize this thread was so close to what i was saying. here's the thing, when i made the vs N intelligence thread, i never claimed what type is better. never. all i claimed was which is more intelligent. no value judgments anywhere. it is also true that i may say "i can't stand type x" but that does not mean i'm saying 'type x is worse than type y', all i'm saying is 'due to my MBTI typing, natural conflicts occur when i come into contact with type x'. that's it.

as for asking the wrong questions, to be honest, i don't think there is such a thing. surely you can say 'being intelligent is more important than being intelligent because you're an N' but then again, who's undermining the importance of being intelligent? who is intelligent goes beyond needing to theorize with MBTI. i think you are also dismissing the usefulness of questions too easily. if say we find that N's in general are more intelligent than S's, then should we not encourage our young to see the bigger picture rather than just facts if we want to boost their intelligence? i truly believe in the good of discussion for the sake of it. if anything, it makes for a more relaxed environment and when people are at ease, they are more willing to share their theories.

i do hate the 'F vs T' threads though because of the value judgments. there's no justifying calling F's immature for example.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Okay, I'm sick of everyone dissing everyone else's types! All it does is make everyone feel bad. NO TYPE IS BETTER THAN ANY OTHER. EVERY LETTER HAS ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES. N is no smarter than S is no smarter than N.

All this typological hostility is the entire reason that I made an account here. One of the purposes of MBTI is to make it easier to work with those that are different from you! No one can work together if they're all bitchy and superior and look down their nose at anyone with a different letter than them. I mean, just because you think differently from someone else doesn't mean your method of thinking is superior. The world would be a scary place if everyone was an S, or everyone was an N. PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT SO THEY CAN BALANCE EACH OTHER OUT. NO ONE IS PERFECT.

Okay, I'll stop now because I've already repeated myself too much. Overall, I'd say that I agree with uberfuhrer, but not the person who started this thread. This thread was started to combat superiority threads, and yet it starts with a blatant insult to Sensory thinking. Only slightly hypocritical, really.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Hey buddy, I think you would understand what's going on here a little better if you weren't SJ. This is indeed a joke.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You are missing something here. It says A equals B that means, I bought tickets to go to a game. Other things would be A unequals B , or B is not part of A. .

B equals part of A, not necessarily all of A. B would equal all of A if it said B if and only if if A.

Again distinction between 'if' and 'if and only if'. If it is just 'if' they merely overlap with each other to some degree, but not necessarily to the entire.

Yea I know, you do not have to explain, we had a dictator once :). What I wanted to say was more like, they do not need a logical cause to do their things, so logic cant be the fundamental thing to make a judgement at this point. But I am splitting hairs here, guess we both know what is meant.

They should organize their activities logically in order to ensure they know what they're doing.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hey buddy, I think you would understand what's going on here a little better if you weren't SJ. This is indeed a joke.

Help me out. I'm willing to learn. (I see that it's a joke, but still... i don't like not understanding things.)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
B equals part of A, not necessarily all of A. B would equal all of A if it said B if and only if if A.

Again distinction between 'if' and 'if and only if'. If it is just 'if' they merely overlap with each other to some degree, but not necessarily to the entire.

They should organize their activities logically in order to ensure they know what they're doing.

hey that is unfair. You did not quote the essential sentence of my post :D

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Help me out. I'm willing to learn. (I see that it's a joke, but still... i don't like not understanding things.)
I can't speak for everyone, but 80% of the time I sterotype, it's supposed to amuse. You know, like when Chappelle talks about white people.