• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Concerns over the scientific wellbeing of Type threads

Which is more important?

• Total voters

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
i have yet to find an advantage to appearing intelligent besides being favored in the occasional social setting, and even that is both easy and sometimes detrimental if people feel that they cant relate. in other words, i dont see a reason to communicate intelligence to others so generally

with that said, s's rule, n's drool, hell yeah brothas

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Okay, one thing to say.

Type threads are in any way scientific?!

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Point being, let's stop with the trolling and superficiality.

Exactly, all these threads distract from the important question:

Which type would you most rather rescue you from a fire and then have sex with?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Do you need some laxatives? Because you sure are full of shit.

Bluewing is wrong.

If intelligence is defined in non type-discriminatory terms (in other words, valueing multiple intelligences)(any other definition of intelligence is biased bullshit), no type is "smarter" than any other type.

Your 'brain teaser' is idiotic and completely meaningless, since it still refers to a conventional definition of intelligence- you are preaching about asking new and better questions while you reassert the same old formulaic crap.
I didn't invite you to this thread.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
And as for the TLL and such threads, I know they are full of false assumption, but I say the self-identifying T's have, overall, brought it upon themselves. They wanted to play the stereotypical "T=tough guy" type role, now they pay for it.
Agree.

What dissapoints me is how those threads just as much as the BW threads continue to enforce misconceptions about type.
BW's threads are an embarrassment. His ultimate assertion -- that F is not a rational faculty is not incorrect. He deliberately handles it in the most indirect, but forcefully insulting, manner he can find. Progress is, as would be expected, impossible under those circumstances.

Like I said before, I have no agenda for defending Bluewing.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
BW's threads are an embarrassment. His ultimate assertion -- that F is not a rational faculty is not. He deliberately handles it in the most indirect, but forcefully insulting, manner he can find. Progress is, as would be expected, impossible under those circumstances.

Yeah, but what I've pointed out repeatedly is that every definition of rationality I find comes back, sooner or later, to a definition that matches Judgement in general, not specifically Thinking. So I never really know what definition of rationality it is that you are citing.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Do you need some laxatives? Because you sure are full of shit.

Bluewing is wrong.

If intelligence is defined in non type-discriminatory terms (in other words, valueing multiple intelligences)(any other definition of intelligence is biased bullshit)
(Having multiple intelligences means having multiple biases)(Everything is a bias... get over it)

no type is "smarter" than any other type.
No... body smart is a joke. Athletic is the proper term. Or perhaps flexible.. or whatever you prefer. There's intelligent, and athletic, and socialite, and artistic...
Being people smart is a farce. All those other 'intelligences' have their own words of praise. Let the intellectuals keep what's rightfully theirs.

Tell me Gabe, what do you know of etymology?

The root of the word intelligence, is intel which fits in with intellect.

If we stretch the word too far, we may as well not have it, and then how do we describe intelligence? I'm asking about what it actually means... not what these new-age euphemist morons impose.

If you have an alternative, I suggest we call up Webster and the gang and change around the dictionaries. Let's go knock heads.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, but what I've pointed out repeatedly is that every definition of rationality I find comes back, sooner or later, to a definition that matches Judgement in general, not specifically Thinking. So I never really know what definition of rationality it is that you are citing.

Really? That sounds impossible, since one of the inherent components of rationality is logic. Logic is only a frequenter of judgement. Judgement being decision making, still allowing for F and T.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Also, there are too few people who voted for the third option. It was a trolling device. I guess the joke was lost on most.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Really? That sounds impossible, since one of the inherent components of rationality is logic. Logic is only a frequenter of judgement. Judgement being decision making, still allowing for F and T.

I've posted the definitions from a dictionary at least twice. There is no absolute reference to logic in the definition of rationale, rational, or rationality. Most of the words lead to the definition of reason, and reason itself has only a few definitions that specifically refer to logic, while most of it's definitions are, as I said, simply Judgement.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've posted the definitions from a dictionary at least twice. There is no absolute reference to logic in the definition of rationale, rational, or rationality. Most of the words lead to the definition of reason, and reason itself has only a few definitions that specifically refer to logic, while most of it's definitions are, as I said, simply Judgement.

Logic is what makes the difference between good judgment and bad judgment.

S

Sniffles

Although I usually rant about how awful people NTs(especially INTJs) are, I often make clear that such statements are not to be taken too seriously. I can't stand it when NFs get overly sensitive about things. So there's shitty qualities in all of us - it's what makes humanity such a happy family.

I agree with the basic argument that these inter-type piss contests are rather absurd. They're certainly interesting to read sometimes to discuss differences between types, and of course vent about how such and such types piss you off often. But com'on people.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
(Having multiple intelligences means having multiple biases)(Everything is a bias... get over it)

No... body smart is a joke. Athletic is the proper term. Or perhaps flexible.. or whatever you prefer. There's intelligent, and athletic, and socialite, and artistic...
Being people smart is a farce. All those other 'intelligences' have their own words of praise. Let the intellectuals keep what's rightfully theirs.

Tell me Gabe, what do you know of etymology?

The root of the word intelligence, is intel which fits in with intellect.

If we stretch the word too far, we may as well not have it, and then how do we describe intelligence? I'm asking about what it actually means... not what these new-age euphemist morons impose.

If you have an alternative, I suggest we call up Webster and the gang and change around the dictionaries. Let's go knock heads.

The problem is, none of the other terms for the other 'intelligences' that you've mentioned have early as much cachet, and non of them capture the more sophisticated aspects of the respective talents they describe. So I wouldn't care if the definition of an 'intelligence' had to be changed.

And besides, dictionary.com definitions mention "logic" only once, so everything I just mentioned is pretty much a moot point. Talk about multiple intelligences is not 'euphemistic'; it's a perfectly appropriate use of a word.

And I can think of ways that each one of the 8 psychological types could become intellectuals through thier dominant function. And each of the types could be just as much of an intellectual. For example, I've always seen sociology as an _NFJ intellectualism.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Logic is what makes the difference between good judgment and bad judgment.

That statement effectively amounts to saying "T rules, F sucks".

I will say that logic is required to make good judgement, but is not the only component of good judgement.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That statement effectively amounts to saying "T rules, F sucks".

I will say that logic is required to make good judgement, but is not the only component of good judgement.

Most important. Without logic you cannot give structure to your judgments or clearly see what your judgments are about. What could be more important?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
with that said, s's rule, n's drool, hell yeah brothas

First post in this thread that makes sense. :nice:

Also, there are too few people who voted for the third option. It was a trolling device. I guess the joke was lost on most.

Well, you should have made a fourth option labelled "duhhhhhhhhh..." and I totally would've voted for that one.

S

Sniffles

Most important. Without logic you cannot give structure to your judgments or clearly see what your judgments are about. What could be more important?

Logic is certainly an important component, but the question remains is it really the most important? Honestly, I think(oh Im sorry, I meant feel) that logic's importance lies in playing a more secondary role.

S

Sniffles

And I can think of ways that each one of the 8 psychological types could become intellectuals through thier dominant function. And each of the types could be just as much of an intellectual.

This is generally the attitude I take. Too often people seem to confuse mere difference with somekind of inferiority. For example: NTs don't bash NFs necessarily because they're actually less intelligent, but rather because they're intelligent in a different way - and vice versa.

That's pretty much what many of these piss contests amount to (and yes they are piss contests).

For example, I've always seen sociology as an _NFJ intellectualism.

I find that highly plausible, and would to some extent explain my own interest in the field. ;)