• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] infj's and intuition?

chado

MBTI Type
infp
ok so i keep reading that infj's are highly intuitive people, even to the degree of being PSYCHIC and have an uncanny ability into people and situations, can you guys explain how ni(inroverted intuition) does this and can you give me some examples of your intuitions thanks

Jaguar

Is there a human being who doesn't have intuition? Besides, if INFJs are so intuitive, what the heck would they need MBTI/typology for? They'd already know all.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In the movie Mean Girls, Karen your highly self-aware friendly neighborhood INFJ, knows truly what best is for Regina, although she refuses to listen. Feeling depressed, she is suggested by Cady to come out with her strengths, turns out she has ESP where she gets all her psychic information.

Watch this first:
Then you'll understand this and learn:

Mane

Permabanned
So... What exactly is "half a virgin" (Other then, well, half of a person who is a virgin)?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So... What exactly is "half a virgin" (Other then, well, half of a person who is a virgin)?

According to Urban Dictionary's top definition:

The term half a virgin was used in the movie Mean Girls. You are a half virgin if you have given or recieved oral sex but have not had actual sex.

Example
Regina: I was "half a virgin" when i met him

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
The mystical flavor of some N (and especially Ni) descriptions goes all the way back to Jung, who mostly considered the abstract/concrete component of N/S a component of I/E instead, and conceptualized an N preference primarily in terms of a special ability to perceive the contents of the unconscious and to envision, as Jung put it, "possibilities as to whence [something] came and whither it is going." Jung's Ni-dom portrait has a pretty strong mystical visionary aspect that I don't think a typical INTJ (for example) is very likely to identify with.

And it's not uncommon for MBTI tests — both dichotomy tests and functions tests — to include one or more N questions (or Ni or Ne questions) that I suspect an NF or NP is more likely to choose the N response to than an NTJ. I'd say NTJs are the most grounded of the N's in a number of ways, with the result that the N responses are sometimes too mystical/flaky/whatever to appeal to an NTJ.

As one example: One of the most well-known MBTI books is Please Understand Me, by David Keirsey, and it includes a 70-question test to determine your type. The original version of the book included this question:

Are visionaries
(a) somewhat annoying
(b) rather fascinating​

This was supposed to be an S/N question. Response (a) was supposed to appeal to S's, and (b) to N's. But I thought it was a poor question, because I'm a really strong N but also a pretty strong TJ, and to me, "visionary" has a spiritual new-agey theories-out-of-thin-air connotation, so I chose (a) annoying. I thought the question was better designed to separate NF's from S's than N's from S's. Well, lo and behold, it looks like quite a few NTs (and maybe especially NTJs) must have had the same problem, because Keirsey adjusted the question for purposes of the later version of the book. In Please Understand Me II, the question now reads:

Do you find visionaries and theorists
(a) somewhat annoying
(b) rather fascinating​

I still think the inclusion of "visionaries" makes it a weak question, but it's better than it was.

As another example: As I've said, I'm an INTJ with what I consider strong T and J preferences, and these Ni items from Nardi's cognitive functions test —

• Experience a premonition or foresee the distant future.
  • Gain a profound realization from a mystical state or sudden release of emotions.
  • Feel attracted to the symbolic, archetypal, or mysterious.
— have too much of a flaky flavor for me to relate to them very well. To identify with that kind of stuff, I think it helps to be an NF or NP (or both), and it probably also helps to be at least somewhat prone to believe in ESP and/or other supernatural stuff — as Jung was. Jung most often gets typed as an INTJ, INTP or INFJ, and the people who consider him an INFJ sometimes point to his mystical bent as one of the reasons they think he was an NF rather than an NT.

BUT NOTE: I should probably clarify that I'm not meaning to suggest that I consider it all that likely that an INFJ will have a significant mystical streak (or identify strongly with those Nardi test items) — and all other things being equal, I think a typical INFP is more likely to embrace mystical stuff than a typical INFJ. (Again, I see both T and J as, to some degree, "grounding" influences.) But because I think an INTJ is significantly less likely to relate to stuff with a mystical flavor, I most often point to INTJs when I'm making the point that I don't really think it's appropriate to characterize IN_Js (or NJs, or "Ni") in those terms.

VagrantFarce

Ni-types are not psychic, they're intuitive - they know without knowing. People treat it like some mystical sixth-sense that's always right, which it isn't. They pick up on signs, trends, implications - they pay attention to what isn't said, or what isn't seen. These impressions form and rise to the surface, like ingredients in a broth. They're deeply personal, and there can be no explaining them sometimes. You notice things, you form impressions, and sometimes you don't quite know how to place them, but there they are, in your bones.

LovelySweet

MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't know how to explain it. I just get this momentary vision/flash through my mind sometimes about something...and it will be true or occur that way.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Only some INFJs are psychic, the majority are not, but it is a type that brings any underlying potential in this realm to the forefront of their consciousness/desires to a much higher degree than many other types.

Mane

Permabanned
Ni-types are not psychic, they're intuitive - they know without knowing. People treat it like some mystical sixth-sense that's always right, which it isn't. They pick up on signs, trends, implications - they pay attention to what isn't said, or what isn't seen. These impressions form and rise to the surface, like ingredients in a broth. They're deeply personal, and there can be no explaining them sometimes. You notice things, you form impressions, and sometimes you don't quite know how to place them, but there they are, in your bones.

You know, I used to do the same thing: Take it as metaphors, redefine the concept in a way that made more sense, tell them as more plausible sounding phenomena... Except that Jung did believe in mysticism, he really did view Ni as piercing the veil of reality and Ne is tapping the ideas in the collective unconscious, because he really did believe there was a veil we can pierce and a collective unconscious we can tap. He defined them by these mystical explanations and when he interpreted what function dominance someone has or what to associate with each function as he worked on his ideas and refined them, he went by what made sense in term of his conceptions. Strip that, and all the other arguments in regards to the nature of functions are essentially arguments about the true content of stuffed chicken - It's going to depend on what you stuff it with.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Typically it's someone who gives blowjobs but doesn't do PIV sex. It was a common thing in the 2000s. I'm not sure if it still is.

raissaroars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Typically it's someone who gives blowjobs but doesn't do PIV sex. It was a common thing in the 2000s. I'm not sure if it still is.

So, what about lesbians? They're forever virgins?