• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverts and Sense-itivity

Are you sensitive?

• Introverted Sensor + Not Particularly Sensitive

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Introverted Sensor + Sensitive

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Introverted Intuitive + Not Particularly Sensitive

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Introverted Intuitive + Sensitive

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Extraverted Sensor + Not Particularly Sensitive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Extraverted Sensor + Sensitive

• Extraverted Intuitive + Not Particularly Sensitive

• Extraverted Intuitive + Sensitive

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've always wondered what the correlation was between cognitive introversion and strong sensitivity to environmental stimuli, somewhere on the Highly Sensitive Person spectrum. It seems a natural pairing. Although, I do conjecture there exists sensorily oblivious introverts. I also am curious if there exists HSP extroverts. In short, answer my poll, please.

Are you an extrovert or introvert?

Are you generally sensitive? Do you have a tendency to be heavily overwhelmed by overly noisy or intense environments and situations, or emotional stimuli? Do you find it very hard to concentrate in environments that aren't calm and quiet?

á´…eparted

passages
I don't quite understand your poll. For example, I could read extroverted intuitive as being ENxx, or having Ni as dom or sec. Which are you meaning?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't quite understand your poll. For example, I could read extroverted intuitive as being ENxx, or having Ni as dom or sec. Which are you meaning?

I was intending it to mean: Extroverted Intuitive = ENxx.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm an introvert, and I am rather sensitive to environmental stimuli. Crowds and loud noises really bother me. Wild parties, clubs, and rock concerts are my idea of hell. Part of it is the noise, and part of it is the types of people who usually frequent those sorts of places: loud, raucous people who can't control themselves. They make me uneasy.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm pretty sensitive, almost ridiculously.

It depends though on quite a few factors, but I am ultra sensitive to any sort of... Invasion of space. I don't even have to be touched, if someone gets too close I automatically get uncomfortable. Being touched is even worse, no one can touch me and I am very weird about it.of course in larger situations where being close to people and bumping into them is inevitable- I believe that this is because in these situations the brain depersonalizes others as a sort of protective measure- then I am alright with that reluctantly. It all just piles on, and though I can selectively ignore sound sometimes, even that is sort of intrusive, less so than touch but it is almost as if anything that is shot at me too quickly I have to either acclimate it and sacrifice something internally, or I have to regress and protect the internal by completely shutting it out and possibly becoming overwhelmed.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I believe this highly sensitive dichotomy exists outside the framework of MBTI, I have seen quite legitimate cases of HSP on extreme extroverts and introverts alike, it just manifests differently in each person. More highly introverted HSP individuals may become more aware of their sensitivities and be able to define and label their exceptionalities in more detail than HSP extroverts however, due to higher amounts of time reflecting and self-analyzing. The Big 5 traits of extroversion, neuroticism, and openness to experience exist on a spectrum across individuals that while perhaps somewhat correlating with MBTI types are probably more heavily correlated with the HSP behaviours and mode of being. For the record I am a highly sensitive introverted intuitive.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm an extrovert. I can be sensitive when it comes to stress and tend to retreat to safety, but that's more due to my SP nature. My choice of environments tend to be more subdued when going out in public, parks, quiet bars, etc, mostly because my friends tend to be pretty sensitive lately, and I'm too old for so much bullshit anymore. But, I consider myself a not particularly sensitive extrovert.

á´…eparted

passages
I am rather sensitive, I always have ben.I definitely fall under the category of HSP. But, I hate the fact that I am. I actively fight against being sensitive, and have for many years now. In myself (not others) I regard it as a major character flaw and it had/has to go. I refuse to let it define, control, or rule me and I push it out or ignore every time I can. It has lead to me being a much better person.

Functionally, I am not very senstive at all. Realistically I am. Unless you see me every day for hours on end you won't know.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm only sensitive in the sense of not liking loud noises and crowds much of the time. I've certainly improved at dealing with noisy and chaotic environments over time. Much of it depends on my mood with regards to how tolerant I will be. I would go to a lot of festivals and things with my ex, and I didn't mind it because I was with somebody else. I'm not sure I would have liked it if I had been by myself.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Hmmm. I think I'm somewhat sensitive to outside stimuli and have to remove myself from it after awhile. I also think as I've gotten older, I have a lower threshold for bullshit so, I'm picky about where I go. Sometimes crowds and noise don't bother me at all - sporting events in particular. I don't think I have any HSP traits.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Yes, I'm an HSP. In school, classmates would go wild at the idea of a competition (divide into teams and do the thing, etc.) but I hated it. Hated. It. Loud noise, high stress, being put on the spot, fast pace--I really dislike it, and I really can't focus when it's going on. Too much really upsets me and makes me either irritable or completely sluggish/zoned out. I startle easily and have strong reactions to things. Something tips over, and I shriek. I dislike taking risks (though I will do crazy things to amuse my closest friends--but even then, I have a quiet sense of cautiousness deep down). Additionally, I'm very emotionally charged. Things make me cry that don't upset other people.

I've been like this even since a baby. Apparently, when I was held, I had to have my bottom supported. Otherwise, I'd get really distressed and start trying to climb higher up on the person's shoulder for safety. I didn't learn to walk until later than most, because I was afraid I would fall down. When I did walk, my fists were clenched, and I didn't stumble. I wasn't able to enjoy times out at certain restaurants because of the cigarette smoke. I cried easily, but I was also extremely affectionate and felt others' pain. Everyone who knew me would describe me as "sensitive."

I'm not trying to sound like a fragile ragamuffin with the emotional stability and strength of a sandcastle. And I don't want to come off as "snowflakey." This is just my personal experience.

I can't vote on your poll because I'm split between E/I, and I'd feel weird choosing either option. But you can definitely count me as sensitive.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Dunno about type, but I've always been extremely sensitive to too much stimulus around me.

I really dislike large crowds and noise as it creates an intense pressure of too much to focus on, or rather too much interrupting my train of thought and natural pace of operating. Most cities here are fairly overcrowded and so I don't always like visiting them, although I think I've become more tolerant.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
sometimes, but I'm also great at completely tuning out my environment at times. so I'd lean more towards no? specific things are impossible for me to ignore though.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
I feel dragged into emotional fields and compelled to focus on chaotic environments... neither bothers me in small doses, but both hurt my writing/studying in public.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, I am very sensitive to stimuli, but drawn to it about as often as I'm repelled - moth/flame. Sometimes it's because the pleasure and atmosphere get amplified just like the rest. Other times I just make myself dive into it until I'm acclimated because, though I hate to say it, I have little respect for this trait in myself.

I hate studying without music playing, but unfortunately I do so far more effectively that way.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Hmmm I can’t even answer a poll question.

Noises, lights, crowds usually don’t annoy me. I can fall asleep on the armchair with light on and noise around when I’m really tired. I like big events like concerts, sport games (although then I need some time to myself). I react badly when it’s very cold or very warm (but probably it’s circulation and complexion of skin )
On the other hand lights, colours and other factors sometimes strike me with their intensity. But maybe it’s just the way of observation, I don’t really know. I need silence when I study.

Emotionally I’m very sensitive. It’s like that since I remember. I learned to control it, at least outside. Still I'm getting hurt easily.

I think I'm sensitive, but wouln't say it's HPS.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to be sensitive when i was younger i think. However as i matured i became less and less so.

With great stress comes great stress management.
~Riva~

And age would give you stress.

Nico_D

The Lost One
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
HSP here. Very sensitive to (sudden) sounds but I also don't tolerate very well the sunshine on my skin, sweat, washing instructions on my shirts, constant talking or restlessness around me, crowds.

Yes, I'm very nice company to take to a party.

Sunny Ghost

I don't mind loud bars or parties, but I can be pretty sensitive to external stimuli at work or other environments. Such as a crowded mall or store.

Maybe it's the difference of Fi/Se, but I can be pretty sensitive to the moods of certain settings. It's what drives me to keep my house clean, bright, colorful, and warm/happy feeling. Some environments have the potential to really bring my mood down and make me morose. I've been dealing with occasional panic attacks due to my new work environment due to the lack of windows.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't enjoy clubs, more boredom then anything else. I am far from sensitive to external stimuli. It doesn't phase me much at all