• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Temperament crossover

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
What do you guys think of this? I find ENTJs and ENFJs very guardian like (and sometimes easy to confuse because of the similarities). Same way that I see some individual ENTPs and ENFPs to be as hedonistic or more so than a lot of the of individual artisans.

I notice when I converse with many INFJs they often come off as more "rational" than some of the individual rationals I know. I've seen plenty of NTs let emotion cloud their judgement more than a lot of the INFJs, I know.

I also, notice I often mistype an ISTP as an INTP (and find many mistype themselves). It helps me clarify when I mistype without knowing them well enough (and what the usual pitfalls were in my mistakes).

INTP - rational/rational
ENTJ - guardian/rational
INTJ - idealist/rational
ENTP - artisan/rational

INFP - idealist/idealist
ENFP - artisan/idealist
ENFJ - guardian/idealist
INFJ - rational/idealist

ISTP - rational/artisan
ESTP - artisan/artisan
ISFP - idealist/artisan
ESFP - artisan/artisan

ISFJ - idealist/guardian
ESFJ - guardian/guardian
ESTJ - rational/guardian
ISTJ - guardian/guardian

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Of course, the question is: what differentiates one lookalike from the other?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
None of the guardians look like artisans?

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type

That makes sense too.

Okay, let me add to that before I get walloped for fluff posting.

From external appearance, SPs do not show an interest in security the way that SJs do. SPs are temperamentally drawn to action. SJs are temperamentally drawn to preserving tradition.

So it makes sens that guardians would not look like artisans.

Another thing--SJs seem to be more attuned to the past/recent past whereas SPs seem to be more attuned to the present and immediate future.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Sequence of words, I think.
It took a good fifteen seconds before I sifted through the possible reasons for old Scratch's presence. Well played.

Still, the topic also interests me personally, since I decided, about five months ago, to cross over in terms of self-identification -- and still need to remove (or concede to) a few doubts.

Another thing--SJs seem to be more attuned to the past/recent past whereas SPs seem to be more attuned to the present and immediate future.
What about likely SJs that don't fit the prevailing stereotype -- those that are neither pessimistic nor early starters, but are reliable and traditional? What's at work? Age? Function ambivalence?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
It's just the inconsistency that bothers me. All the groups except the guardians have all four crossover types. I'm thinking ESFJ might could pretend to be artisan on a wild day. But that's probably my OCD talking.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
It's just the inconsistency that bothers me. All the groups except the guardians have all four crossover types. I'm thinking ESFJ might could pretend to be artisan on a wild day. But that's probably my OCD talking.

I agree with your Cafe...I could see an ESFJ as an artisan on a wild day. Come on now think "Girls gone Wild" not all those girls can be Artisans. :)
I'm thinkin a good number of them are SJ's ;)

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP

I actually tried to force one to be the case. I just came up with these based on people I knew (and my intuitions on them as a whole), I tried hard to think of one that was more less guardian or more hedonistic, but I know a few individual ISTJ, ESFJ, and ESTJ hedonists. But I knew several severe counterexamples.

Then I thought - why would there have to be a symmetrical alignment?

The NT/NF/SJ paradigm is somewhat of an artificial or arbitrary boundary. On a vague moral or general world view sense - I see INFJs, INTJs and ENFPs closer to the ENTP, for example, than the ENTJ or INTP. I find INTPs, in a lot of ways, more similar to ISTPs (in terms of treatment of others) than to other rationals, etc...

Ultimately, I don't find the NT grouping necessarily more important than other groupings conventions (at least the ones in my head).

Last edited:

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
I agree with your Cafe...I could see an ESFJ as an artisan on a wild day. Come on now think "Girls gone Wild" not all those girls can be Artisans. :)
I'm thinkin a good number of them are SJ's ;)
On a wild day, sure!

But these are all generalizations and idealizations, like most Type stuff is. None of it is absolute or 100% accurate.

To be so, would be to surrender entirely to Apollo (I don't mean BSG!)--and where is the fun in that? :D

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I actually tried to force one to be the case. I just came up with these based on people I knew (and my intuitions on them as a whole), I tried hard to think of one that was more less guardian or more hedonistic, but I know a few individual ISTJ, ESFJ, and ESTJ hedonists. But I knew several severe counterexamples.

Then I thought - why would there have to be a symmetrical alignment?

The NT/NF/SJ paradigm is somewhat of an artificial or arbitrary boundary. On a vague moral or general world view sense - I see INFJs, INTJs and ENFPs closer to the ENTP, for example, than the ENTJ or INTP. I find INTPs, in a lot of ways, more similar to ISTPs (in terms of treatment of others) than to other rationals, etc...

Ultimately, I don't find the NT grouping necessarily more important than other groupings conventions (at least the ones in my head).

That's actually one of the things I picked up when looking at some of the psychological relationships some people made up for the types. A lot of other incomplete theories lack perfect symmetry, and have exceptions, and as a very incomplete idea on how people work, the MBTI system seems much more likely than not to have exceptions and lack of symmetry as well.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
One correction chimp. ESTJ should be the quintissential SJ, they are indeed the type that is most concerned with following the objective tenets of the tradition. ESFJs are bit softer on that, as they may go out of their way to please others.

I dont believe that ESFJ is artisan like. Their superior function is an Extroverted Judging one. If there would be an SJ that is the most SP-like, it would have to be one with a superior perceiving function.

I dont think that either the ISTJ or ISFJ have enough of that element in them. ISTJ, though should be the most NT like of the Guardians as they are the most concerned with analyzing facts (not ideas, but still better off than the other 3) of all 4. Whereas ESTJs are just concerned with implementing concrete knowledge. Or at least more concerned with that than the ISTJ.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm usually able to tell the difference between an ENTJ and ESTJ. Their Te function manifests itself in very different ways based on their different auxiliary functions. Therefore, the strategic intelligence of the Ni and the logistical intelligence of the Si appear very different.

The ESTJ tends to make sure everything is in order -- they are the prototype bosses. The ENTJ is more inclined to take risks and change things.

However, I think the ENTJ seems more like an ESTP. They can both seem adventurous and athletic at first, and they both tend to be risk takers, but the ENTJ is more concerned with a long-range vision -- they'll use SP-like tactics as a means to an end, so it ultimately is an NT strategy. (That's why I typed Vic Mackey of The Shield as an ENTJ, because it is clear that he's very strategic.)

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I've been paging through Type Talk at Work, by Otto Kroeger et al.

Two comparative table entries, if accurate, affirm my Thinking preference.

The first set: Thinkers "procrastinate about working on their relationships," which is obscure but somewhat reflective of me; Feelers "procrastinate about working to resolve conflicts," which I have witnessed several times since our company was acquired, and which frustrates me greatly.

The second set: in a stress guide, Thinkers need "an opportunity to...confront things and challenge them; often they like a win/lose reward"; and are thought to build character by "experiencing powerlessness or lack of control," which I can't stand.

Forer or not, it's interesting. This book, incidentally, is a goldmine of tables and charts.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm usually able to tell the difference between an ENTJ and ESTJ. Their Te function manifests itself in very different ways based on their different auxiliary functions. Therefore, the strategic intelligence of the Ni and the logistical intelligence of the Si appear very different.

The ESTJ tends to make sure everything is in order -- they are the prototype bosses. The ENTJ is more inclined to take risks and change things.

However, I think the ENTJ seems more like an ESTP. They can both seem adventurous and athletic at first, and they both tend to be risk takers, but the ENTJ is more concerned with a long-range vision -- they'll use SP-like tactics as a means to an end, so it ultimately is an NT strategy. (That's why I typed Vic Mackey of The Shield as an ENTJ, because it is clear that he's very strategic.)

Yes ENTJ definitely seems like an ESTP! Especially with the superior Extroverted Judging function when being an SP is almost exclusively about having a supeior Extroverted Perceiving function?

How about the ENTP is the most SP-like for that matter? ESTP-Like?

ENTJs seem athletic and adventurous because of raw extroversion and their Te externalizes their Intuition and makes it look like an Ne.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
I've been paging through Type Talk at Work, by Otto Kroeger et al. ... This book, incidentally, is a goldmine of tables and charts.

I'm very happy with the Kroeger books. I think they have widespread appeal and are exceptionally readable.

Hey--how about posting a review of TTaW in the book review thread? :)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes ENTJ definitely seems like an ESTP! Especially with the superior Extroverted Judging function when being an SP is almost exclusively about having a supeior Extroverted Perceiving function?

How about the ENTP is the most SP-like for that matter? ESTP-Like?

ENTJs seem athletic and adventurous because of raw extroversion and their Te externalizes their Intuition and makes it look like an Ne.

Nah, an ENTP will probably come across as more idea-oriented and, according to Sensors, very obnoxious. An ENTP is likely to be very quirky to a "normal" person. They usually come up with really cool, but crazy ideas. And as dominant Ne types, their ideas will tend to be very superficial and flawed in logic, until they can analyze them with their auxiliary Ti function.

The ESTPs I've seen tend to act like pimps -- they are very good at a more in-the-moment persuasion.

ENTPs and ESTPs tend to be good liars. And they are often really good at getting others to believe them. The ENTP, with practice, will likely lie by coming up with a convincing but untruthful story, while the ESTP will likely lie by telling others what they like to hear, but they can get others to believe them by effectively using flattering gestures. They promote themselves with a more physical charm.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
What do you guys think of this?
After re-reading them, your analysis is quite good, however I am unsure based on how you show your results.... does the type see themselves this way, or others? Cleary when taking the temperament assessment, I result in improvisor/theorist. Under Keirsey, I usually showed rational, idealist, artisan and guardian.

There has been some tweaking of Keirsey's original theory, by one of his prize pupils (Linda V. Berens). Best Fit has changed the names of the four temperaments and tweaked their core values. I think much was the result of SP types finding Keirsey's implication that we are hedonistic, offensive:
The Catalyst Temperament
(Diplomatic Skill Set)

The core needs are for the meaning and significance that come from having a sense of purpose and working toward some greater good. They need to have a sense of unique identity. They value unity, self-actualization, and authenticity. People of this temperament prefer cooperative interactions with a focus on ethics and morality. They tend to trust their intuition and impressions first and then seek to find the logic and the data to support them. Given their need for empathic relationships, they learn more easily when they can relate to the instructor and the group.

The Stabilizer Temperament
(Logistical Skill Set)

The core needs are for group membership and responsibility. They need to know they are doing the responsible thing. They value stability, security, and a sense of community. They trust hierarchy and authority and may be surprised when others go against these social structures. People of this temperament prefer cooperative actions with a focus on standards and norms. Their orientation is to their past experiences, and they like things sequenced and structured. They tend to look for the practical applications of what they are learning.

The Theorist Temperament
(Strategic Skill Set)

The core needs are for mastery of concepts, knowledge, and competence. People of this temperament want to understand the operating principles of the universe and to learn or even develop theories for everything. They value expertise, logical consistency, concepts, and ideas and seek progress. They tend toward pragmatic, utilitarian actions with a technology focus. They trust logic above all else. They tend to be skeptical and highly value precision in language. Their learning style is conceptual, and they want to know the underlying principles that generate the details and facts rather than the details alone.

The Improviser Temperament
(Tactical Skill Set)

The core needs are to have the freedom to act without hindrance and to see a marked result from action. People of this temperament highly value aesthetics, whether in nature or art. Their energies are focused on skillful performance, variety, and stimulation. They tend toward pragmatic, utilitarian actions with a focus on technique. They trust their impulses and have a drive to action. They learn best experientially and when they see the relevance of what they are learning to what they are doing. They enjoy hands-on, applied learning with a fast pace and freedom to explore.