• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ShowerThought Thread: why people want to be intuitives

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Lol...yeah...except I know social people who can't handle introverts worth a crap. They try everything they can to pull us out and its just that we don't want to be pulled out. Plus there are many people who go stir crazy if they are not social. Put them around an introvert that is reserved and quiet and they don't know what to do, they have to talk.

Poki, i think JSC was sarcastically exaggerating the idea presented in my post as a way of dismissing it. I dont blame you for missing this complex pattern though, because you're a sensor :p

Well, less "exaggerating" and more "drawing equally ridiculous parallels"

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
Well, less "exaggerating" and more "drawing equally ridiculous parallels"

Except they're not really parallels. Society has been, for the last 350 years or so, prizing intelligence. Lately society has even prized introversion... hinting that introverts have super powers compared to their extroverted counterparts - and have a lot to offer in work places. Procrastination isn't highly lauded, but P does not equate to procrastination, which is why that analogy is inaccurate. Intuition does equate to the ability to recognize complex patterns, by definition, which is also what is tested for in IQ tests. It's no surprise then that N's consistently are tested as having higher IQs then S's.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Intuition does equate to the ability to recognize complex patterns, by definition, which is also what is tested for in IQ tests. It's no surprise then that N's consistently are tested as having higher IQs then S's.
Is there a bias to type those with high IQ's as N's? Or are there truly fewer S's with high IQ's? Is there a way to actually determine that? To my knowledge mbti stats are the results of self reporting, which is an issue, especially when you start citing studies and if S's who for example test with a high IQ call themselves N's due to ability to grasp things such as iq test problems, and so on.

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
Is there a bias to type those with high IQ's as N's? Or are there truly fewer S's with high IQ's? Is there a way to actually determine that? To my knowledge mbti stats are the results of self reporting, which is an issue, especially when you start citing studies and if S's who for example test with a high IQ call themselves N's due to ability to grasp things such as iq test problems, and so on.

IIRC in the studies done they had the mbti test done first, and then they had the IQ test done after. I've said it before, but I'll say it again, I don't think the MBTI or the cognitive functions are accurate depictions of reality; and they have no scientific basis to them. So my explanation is that those who happen to score high in IQ tests also happen to answer the MBTI tests in such a way - causing a correlation. But I don't think the MBTI type is the cause. However, I'm just saying why those who believe in typology would likely rather be N's than S's.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
IIRC in the studies done they had the mbti test done first, and then they had the IQ test done after. I've said it before, but I'll say it again, I don't think the MBTI or the cognitive functions are accurate depictions of reality; and they have no scientific basis to them. So my explanation is that those who happen to score high in IQ tests also happen to answer the MBTI tests in such a way - causing a correlation. But I don't think the MBTI type is the cause. However, I'm just saying why those who believe in typology would likely rather be N's than S's.

Ok, I think I can agree with that. I brought it up because I used to consider myself an N, due to the ability aspect (vs preference), before I learned more about myself and also had a better way to contrast myself with actual N's, and so had I shown up in one of those studies, years ago, I would have been a false data point pointing towards N tying to high IQ, when in actuality I am an S with a high IQ.

Though, it's only in internet forums I think that people would 'rather be N's' - bias towards that and against sensors on forums, historically.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Poki, i think JSC was sarcastically exaggerating the idea presented in my post as a way of dismissing it. I dont blame you for missing this complex pattern though, because you're a sensor :p

Or that I havnt actually read much of the thread because I am to busy living life being a sensor and all :p

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Except they're not really parallels. Society has been, for the last 350 years or so, prizing intelligence. Lately society has even prized introversion... hinting that introverts have super powers compared to their extroverted counterparts - and have a lot to offer in work places. Procrastination isn't highly lauded, but P does not equate to procrastination, which is why that analogy is inaccurate. Intuition does equate to the ability to recognize complex patterns, by definition, which is also what is tested for in IQ tests. It's no surprise then that N's consistently are tested as having higher IQs then S's.

Lol, yeah...I thought about joining mensa, but it seemed like a waste of time and just mental masturbation. But, yeah, I don't do as good with complex patterns portion...but give me the critical analysis and critical thinking and I fly through those tests. Find the scrambled word screws me up, but give me a complex math problem or something that requires solving a problem and I fly through it. Find the number pattern and I am hit or miss, usually would put that aspect of me only around 130 range, normal IQ tests on a whole I score upwards of 150-160. Intelligence in my opinion applies to everyday situations...not find the number pattern or unscramble the word.

I also know an N who listens to classical because it has a pattern of advanced thinking in people. So, since I run circles around him mentally he asked what I was listening to. At the time it was extremely sexual rap song. Us S's who listen to rap are stupid though. Despite the fact that I am self taught java programmer who started at the bottom with an associates I. Electronics and worked my way above those with bachelor's and knocked the team lead out of his position who not only has every java certificate but used to teach it. It's fun confusing Ns who think they have found some whole grail of a pattern only to find that it's really not that wholy grail. Kinda like those who thinks N's are smarter then S's.

The ends result is Ti trumps ALL...lmao...it's called thinking for a reason...just have to have fun with Ns.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

The point is that intuition isn't simply a layer on top of sensing -- that everyone is capable of sensing but an elite few are also able to rise above it -- any more than judging is a layer on top of perceiving, or extraversion on top of introversion.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram

Tendency, swivels, not ability.

Nico_D

The Lost One
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Because anyone can effectively notice the sensory input around them.

Don't know about that. I''ve come to learn that I can suck on that. Yes, there are situations where I'm highly aware and think I see every little detail and notice if someone had a haircut and so forth - but generally, as when I'm taking my dog for a walk, I'm inside my head. I don't see the trees or birds or exceptional photographing situations unless I concentrate on what's going on around me. It seems to be getting worse as I age, I'm not that interested in the external world anymore. Like I've seen it already.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Everybody wants to be a Jedi,

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
okay since I'm an ISTP now I must say that I abandon all previous positions I had regarding people wanting to be intuitives. IN FACT, I KNOW that almost all MBTI followers want to be SENSORS. The cause is obvious. Anyone can perceive the complex patterns around them, but not everyone can perceive the sensory input around them.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
okay since I'm an ISTP now I must say that I abandon all previous positions I had regarding people wanting to be intuitives. IN FACT, I KNOW that almost all MBTI followers want to be SENSORS. The cause is obvious. Anyone can perceive the complex patterns around them, but not everyone can perceive the sensory input around them.

You see intuitives just have this intuition something is the way it is, now a sensor doesn't need intuition, they can see why things are the way they are.

Intuitive...I have a gut feeling that try is gonna fall, it's just intuition...tree falls...and all intuitives ohhh and ahhh

Sensor...that tree is cut the wind is picking up, I hear snapping, tree is gonna fall....intuitives...that's obvious after sensor made them aware of everything.

Of course I have major smart ass syndrome

Sensor: sees a wreck, notices what's wrong and says I wonder what happened
Me: wreck
Sensor: ok smart ass, and points out all possibilities based on what he sees and tries to guess what happened
Me: you should go ask
Sensor: yeah, I will
Me: :doh: sometimes i wonder about sensors even though I am a sensor.

Last edited:

Gawain

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What Poki said. Also, you will always be able to find people who wish they are something else. No one quality is superior to another without a context. And since the context of everyone's lives are different, nobody has identical contexts for their functions.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
You know i don't have deep shower thoughts I'm usually more worried about getting soap in much eyes maybe I'm doing it wrong :shrug: i tend to have such thoughts walking aimlessly in circles.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Because anyone can effectively notice the sensory input around them. However, not everyone can effectively notice the complex patterns around them.

Well, sort of.

Many intuitives must struggle to notice sensory details around them. For some it is a constant struggle which consumes quite a bit of their physical and mental energy. In their natural state, many will be prone to missing a great many "obvious" details in their surroundings. Whether it is done effectively depends more on the individual intuitive.

Likewise, sensors can train themselves to use their intuitive "sight" more frequently, but it will come with more effort and expenditure of energy.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
personally, I have no problem either sensing or intuiting things, for the most part... I can be a bit of a switch hitter that way :tongue:

everyone makes such a big deal about the whole s/n dichotomy most of the time, which I find to be a bit narrowly focused... personally, I have more trouble trying to be more judgy than I do intuiting :shrug:

preferences =/= capabilities

anyways... you all know that what you REALLY want is to be my type... exactly my type :cool:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You know i don't have deep shower thoughts I'm usually more worried about getting soap in much eyes maybe I'm doing it wrong :shrug: i tend to have such thoughts walking aimlessly in circles.

Lmao...I do the same thing...damn kitchen islands. I bounce a ball while I do it too...lol

I don't ever really stop thinking though, guess it's a symptom of being Ti dom

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
Because they are a bunch of fours and deltas