• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How does one stop being jealous of another type?

Midoughni

Whenever I have a conversation with an NT, for example, I feel really self-conscious, like I can't match their abilities or give them what they want. My intuition and thinking are just not as good as theirs, and I feel really inadequate compared to intuitives in general, like I don't have anything as important to offer the world and am not as interesting. When I was younger, I remember pressuring myself to think more like an INTP, and nowadays I really wish that my Ni and Te were stronger. I don't mean to insinuate that other types are not as valuable, this is just based on how I see myself and what I personally idealize. Have you ever experienced a similar feeling? How did you learn to accept yourself and maximize your own potential?

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don't think of yourself as a type. Try to think of yourself as a person. Remind yourself of your good qualities, and work on improving your weak points.

No type is superior to any other. Everyone has something different, but equally important, to contribute.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Realize that NTs arent as fluent at S and F as you are and that everyone has their weaknesses and you have your strengths(besides the weaknesses).

cameo

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I sort of can relate to what you mean, I think. When I first became interested in typology, I struggled a lot with my type and part of the reason is because there is an abundance of stereotypes in type descriptions online. So, for example, NTs are almost always described as being essentially geniuses and to possess flawless logical reasoning, etc. So, as someone who generally thinks of herself as at least a somewhat smart person, I always resented this because it sort of makes it sound like, in order to be smart, you must be an NT, and if you're not an NT, then you're probably not that smart or you can't measure up. So it was sort of bitterness/envy. The more I studied typology, though, it became quite apparent that those are really just stereotypes, and while there might be certain trends with certain types or type clusters, such trends or descriptions definitely do not preclude you from possessing certain qualities of a type other than your own.

So, if part of your problem is admiring NTs or being intimidated by them based on type descriptions you've read, it might be some consolation to think of it in these terms. Just because your iNtuition or Thinking preferences aren't as strong doesn't mean you can't be conceptual ever or be logical ever, or whatever. And, as some others have already said, it just means that you have certain strengths that those types don't necessarily have (and, as a Thinking type myself, don't let Thinking types' dismissal of the importance of values and "emotions" persuade you that they aren't just as important in their own ways. haha).

So, in short, I guess I just had to do a lot of studying and stuff, but I eventually learned to embrace not being an NT or anything else because I studied enough to come to realize their flaws rather than just hearing about their strengths, and to realize the sort of BS that was keeping me from embracing my own type.