• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Why vs. What is essentially the difference between sensors and thinkers.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Cognitive studies show that as we abstract into the future we focus on why we do things, why things happen, why we achieve goals.

As we focus more on the present moment studies show that we focus on what to do to achieve the why.

People who focus more abstractly - thinking of the future which isn't real, just an idea to explain observations, i.e. an archtype or symbol of unfolding, tend to set unrealistic expectations but tend to feel more energized and enthusiastic.

People who focus more on the present moment, or reality, focus on the how or what of anything. They tend to be more realistic but also don't take risks.

The what people are like accountants.

The why people are like philosophers who sit at a shop and drink late's all day and then BAM one day, life has passed them by.

Too much of either is bad according to cognitive science. Success lies in chosing when to use one or the other.

Thinkers are why people.

Sensors are what people. Most accountants are estj or istj...

Chrysanthea

But wondering why is just so much work! And pointless too, even though it's quite an addiction. I'd think being a sensor might lead to a better enjoyment of life as a result of this... but I am not a sensor.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
But wondering why is just so much work! And pointless too, even though it's quite an addiction. I'd think being a sensor might lead to a better enjoyment of life as a result of this... but I am not a sensor.

Actually you are quite right about one thing based on the study from the audible book Success.

Thinkers tend to find more joy on focusing on what rather than why because they are too focused on why. Thinkers have a natural propensity to lean towards the why of things.

Sensors on the other hand who are too what-ish can focus more on why.

If you are a procrastinator and have trouble figuring out what you can actually do you are most likely a thinker who focuses too much on the why.

And by Joy, I mean they tend to accomplish more realistic goals that bring them more joy by focusing on what.

The why of things brings fresh energy, but the what of things perpetuates the cycle.

cameo

MBTI Type
ISTJ
But sensing and thinking aren't traits that are mutually exclusive. ISTJ and ESTJs both have sensing and thinking traits. If you were describing sensing versus intuition, in stereotypical terms, you'd be more accurate.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
But sensing and thinking aren't traits that are mutually exclusive. ISTJ and ESTJs both have sensing and thinking traits. If you were describing sensing versus intuition, in stereotypical terms, you'd be more accurate.

Intuition + thinking vs thinking + sensing.....better critical mr mans?

- - - Updated - - -

Sexy.

- - - Updated - - -

Sexy