• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I think Jungian typology is more accurate than MBTI

Soph11287

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
?
Here is a quote from wikipedia I found interesting..

"According to Jung the dominant function is supported by two auxiliary functions. (In MBTI publications the first auxiliary is usually called the auxiliary or secondary function and the second auxiliary function is usually called the tertiary function.)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_type

This clarified a lot of confusion for me. I wasn't aware at first that MBTI was different from Carl Jung's original personality theory. Jungian Typology states that there is no Tertiary, instead there are two auxiliary functions. From personal experience I know this to be true. I'm an ISFP and I find that my Ni to be just as powerful of an influence in my life as the Se, they hold equal importance. This is why it took me so long to identify myself as the right type because I couldn't decide if I was a sensor or an intuitive.

I find Jung's approach much more holistic and all-encompassing than MBTI. People are multidimensional beings. To state that everyone has only one dominant function and one supporting function seems like a very narrow minded concept to me. Was it Isabel Briggs who came up with MBTI? My guess is she was probably someone who rarely saw the deeper side to things. Carl Jung was a genius, his theories were already perfect and didn't need to be rearranged. It's a shame that Jung's discoveries have been overshadowed, twisted and misinterpreted over the years. If Jung were alive right now he would be very upset and make sure to correct this mistake.

From wikipedia..

"those who study and follow Jung's theories (Jungians) are typically adamant that Myers is incorrect."

"His views on the primary and auxiliary functions both being of enough differentiation to be considered conscious"

"there is a significant difference between Jung and the MBTI regarding the orientation of the functions."

If any of you are having a hard time typing yourself I suggest you start looking at the three first functions of each type, that's the only way I was able to discover who I was.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What really sets the order the "two auxiliaries" take is the ego states associated with them. http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...tive-functions/77084-ego-backbone-type-2.html
The ego itself chooses the dominant function and orientation. A "supporting" state chooses, for the sake of balance, a function of the opposite rationality (i.e. rational or irrational), and in the opposite orientation. Another state (that reflects the supporting state by being less mature, and generally "looking up" for support) then associates with the function and orientation opposite the supporting function. Since the resulting orientation is then the same as the dominant, the ego sometimes runs to this state in an overboard fashion, and it can even appear to eclipse the supporting state (and function). Hence, becoming like another "auxiliary".

So those are the "two auxiliaries". MBTI didn't explain them like this, but looking into other parts of Jung's theories (especially archetypes/complexes, which are what the ego states are), helps explain and harmonize it .

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

"According to Jung the dominant function is supported by two auxiliary functions. (In MBTI publications the first auxiliary is usually called the auxiliary or secondary function and the second auxiliary function is usually called the tertiary function.)"

This clarified a lot of confusion for me. I wasn't aware at first that MBTI was different from Carl Jung's original personality theory. Jungian Typology states that there is no Tertiary, instead there are two auxiliary functions. From personal experience I know this to be true. I'm an ISFP and I find that my Ni to be just as powerful of an influence in my life as the Se, they hold equal importance. This is why it took me so long to identify myself as the right type because I couldn't decide if I was a sensor or an intuitive.

I'm not convinced there is any difference. MBTI is just an extension of Jung's work. I think you are probably misinterpreting what you are reading. I think Jung mostly talked about the dominant function. He talked about the inferior as well. He didn't get into much detail about auxiliary and tertiary functions. The important thing that MBTI did was to create 16 types, which reflects an ordering of dominant and auxiliary. They also referenced the inferior function in their work. If you don't believe in that then you don't believe in the 16 types, which is fine I suppose.

I find Jung's approach much more holistic and all-encompassing than MBTI. People are multidimensional beings. To state that everyone has only one dominant function and one supporting function seems like a very narrow minded concept to me. Was it Isabel Briggs who came up with MBTI? My guess is she was probably someone who rarely saw the deeper side to things. Carl Jung was a genius, his theories were already perfect and didn't need to be rearranged. It's a shame that Jung's discoveries have been overshadowed, twisted and misinterpreted over the years. If Jung were alive right now he would be very upset and make sure to correct this mistake.

From wikipedia..

"those who study and follow Jung's theories (Jungians) are typically adamant that Myers is incorrect."

"His views on the primary and auxiliary functions both being of enough differentiation to be considered conscious"

"there is a significant difference between Jung and the MBTI regarding the orientation of the functions."

If any of you are having a hard time typing yourself I suggest you start looking at the three first functions of each type, that's the only way I was able to discover who I was.

The reference of "those who study and follow Jung's theories (Jungians) are typically adamant that Myers is incorrect" and "there is a significant difference between Jung and the MBTI regarding the orientation of the functions" refers to the idea that the tertiary is in the opposite attitude of the dominant (introverted vs. extraverted). So for an INTJ, instead of the tertiary being Fi, it would be Fe under that thinking. I don't know anyone who really thinks that anymore. The commonly accepted interpretation is that the tertiary is in the same orientation as the dominant function.

I think on this stuff you have to look at the time in which the comments where made vs. having a binary view on the philosophy. Jung had certain concepts that he theorized about. Myers/Briggs elaborated on those concepts and built them out further. After that, people like Beebe and Berens have built them out more.

It's sort of like Bill Gates who supposedly said "640K ought to be enough for anyone”. You could argue whether he really said it or not but the concept is the same. Henry Ford didn't talk about anti-locking brakes, airbags, turbocharged v6s, etc. because they weren't invented yet. It doesn't mean we're not driving cars anymore and we should call them something else.

Edit: Maybe a better analogy would be looking at different physicists over time. The ideas/concepts they developed over time built on each other. Top 10 physicists of all time. We don't think of people as Newtonians or Feynmanians.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The tertiary being the same attitude as the dominant is originally the theory of Harold Grant. Quenk and other MBTI-related theorists remained ambivalent about it.
The way to understand this, is , once again, the ego states. There are four functions, and they are brought into awareness by the ego states, which will assign them their "position" and orientation. The Puer complex orients the tertiary to the dominant attitude, and apart from that, the tertiary would [along with the aux. and inferior] default to the attitude of the unconscious (which is opposite the dominant, and it's also the right or left brain alternative, in BTi theory, and the Trickster archetype in Beebe's theory).

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

Wikipedia is not a very good source when it comes to Jung and Myers.

I'd say Jung made it pretty clear — in Psychological Types, and again 30 years later in Individual Dream Symbolism in Relation to Alchemy — that he thought that, for a typical person (or at least a typical person with a reasonably differentiated type), the auxiliary function tended to be predominantly conscious and the tertiary function tended to be predominantly unconscious. It's true that he expected the auxiliary function to be less conscious (and correspondingly less "differentiated") than the dominant function — but he referred to the dominant and auxiliary functions, together, as the "conscious functions," and the tertiary and inferior functions, together, as the "unconscious functions." (He also said that the tertiary function was typically "fused" with the inferior function and served, in essence, as the "auxiliary" to the inferior.)

Here's what he said in Psychological Types:

Jung said:
Closer investigation shows with great regularity that, besides the most differentiated function, another, less differentiated function of secondary importance is invariably present in consciousness and exerts a co-determining influence.
For all the types met with in practice, the rule holds good that besides the conscious, primary function there is a relatively unconscious, auxiliary function which is in every respect different from the nature of the primary function. The resulting combinations present the familiar picture of, for instance, practical thinking allied with sensation, speculative thinking forging ahead with intuition, artistic intuition selecting and presenting its images with the help of feeling-values, philosophical intuition systematizing its vision into comprehensible thought by means of a powerful intellect, and so on.

The unconscious functions likewise group themselves in patterns correlated with the conscious ones. Thus, the correlative of conscious, practical thinking may be an unconscious, intuitive-feeling attitude, with feeling under a stronger inhibition than intuition.

And here's a little bit of Individual Dream Symbolism in Relation to Alchemy:

Jung said:
If we think of the psychological function [sic] as arranged in a circle, then the most differentiated function is usually the carrier of the ego and, equally regularly, has an auxiliary function attached to it. The "inferior" function, on the other hand, is unconscious and for that reason is projected into a non-ego. It too has an auxiliary function. ...

In the psychology of the functions there are two conscious and therefore masculine functions, the differentiated function and its auxiliary, which are represented in dreams by, say, father and son, whereas the unconscious functions appear as mother and daughter. Since the conflict between the two auxiliary functions is not nearly as great as that between the differentiated and the inferior function, it is possible for the third function — that is, the unconscious auxiliary one — to be raised to consciousness and thus made masculine. It will, however, bring with it traces of its contamination with the inferior function, thus acting as a kind of link with the darkness of the unconscious.

So Jung allowed for the possibility of the tertiary function being "raised to consciousness," but emphatically didn't view that as the typical case.

As a related note, I'd say it's also pretty clear that Jung thought the function stack for an Fi-dom with an S-aux would be Fi-Si-Ne-Te, and if you're interested, you can read a long explanation in this two-part post.

The "tertiary function" that you think you make heavy conscious use of is Ni, but virtually nobody claims that Jung thought that the tertiary function (in a typical person) would have the same attitude as the dominant.

Fi-Se-Ni-Te is the Harold Grant function stack, and it's a function stack that, besides being inconsistent with both Jung and Myers, has no respectable validity and has never been endorsed by the official MBTI folks — and if you're interested, you can read more about that in this post (which I realize I already linked you to in another thread).

Was it Isabel Briggs who came up with MBTI? My guess is she was probably someone who rarely saw the deeper side to things. Carl Jung was a genius, his theories were already perfect and didn't need to be rearranged. It's a shame that Jung's discoveries have been overshadowed, twisted and misinterpreted over the years. If Jung were alive right now he would be very upset and make sure to correct this mistake.

You're way off here, and I've put some recycled reckful on Jung and Myers for you in the spoiler.

Thor

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
We've done comparisons between the type descriptions posted by Carl Jung and the descriptions taken forward by Isabella Briggs and our neojungian typology model, and we've found that the neojungian model (which is based on neuroscience) correlates more to the MBTI than to Carl Jungs theories. Carl Jungs definition of Intuition is for example somewhat correlated to neurological processes in the default-mode network, the network we believe is most closely related to Feeling. The MBTI is much more consistent in it's typing, Carl Jung himself was never really able to self-identify as any type, and he knew his own model better than anyone else. The MBTI appears more consistent. I would still recommend anyone check out the original theory because it's fascinating, Jung is a great writer, it's really captivating writing, and there's alot you can learn there, but I do believe Isabella Briggs has done a good job with the original theory. Beebes eight function model was a really good addition aswell. :)

A mistake people use when they read Jung is they think Ni correlates to N*J, when Ni to Carl Jung just meant *Introverted intuitive* - i.e a person who was both introverted, and intuitive. J and P did not exist in Carl Jungs model. Which just goes to show you the MBTI is much more refined than Jungs theories which were never able to gain any scientific or popular momentum.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Jung said that there are two auxiliarys because in his view they often were both as developed, he did say that there is sometimes a third function position(when one of the auxiliarys has developed more than other). I think his view stems mainly from him dealing with neurotics and possibly because in that time people werent often as developed mentally as we are now.

I should also mention that in jungs view all functions than dom are opposite from doms I/E, so based on purely jungian model, you are not even using N in introverted attitude, but extraverted.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
Jung is super sexy.

Most people aren't.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Just a caveat...

Wikipedia is a great resource, really great, but it's only great if you use it as a portal to other sources. It's great because articles [should] contain citations, and you can fact-check the article itself with said sources whilst also using the citations to delve deeper into a topic.

Never make the mistake of accepting anything on wikipedia without heavy scrutiny. Factual errors and conjecture abound, despite most authors attempts to keep it as objective and factual as possible. Also, as in many encyclopedia articles, sometimes the essence of a topic or subject is "lost" or misworded, often leading to mass misconceptions--in some cases this is simply a result of the author trying to keep the article as concise as possible. Also, despite many wikipedia editors' best efforts to remain unbiased, you will find many failing; consider that someone who is writing or editing an article about Jungian theory will likely be a proponent of that theory, so we should assume their article might place said theory in a more favorable light while doing the opposite for opposing theories (albeit in a very subtle manner that may not be readily apparent even to the author)

Again, a great resource (one of my favorite sites, in fact) and I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong or misinformed, but always keep this in mind.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
and I've put some recycled reckful on Jung and Myers for you in the spoiler.

You probably don't need flattered like this -- but if you don't already, you should have some sort of blog here or some website where you keep these sorts of writings. And [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] should sticky the hell out of it. It's all good stuff, and it'd make a good resource for TypoC and others.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My own personal -- but likely totally wrong -- perspective is that MBTI plugged an extension cord to Jung's outlet, then deliberately tangled it the hell up. Thanks for making Jung more accessible, Isabel; but.. you know, that straight cord would've been better.

MBTI claims to tease out a function stacking, right? If its ultimate goal is to tease out such a stacking, why mash together four Clarity of Preference scales to come up with a stacking, rather than test for the stacking directly? Nardi at least took a stab at that approach.

"Congratulations! We measured up some ways of dealing with the world, and you're TeSi. You shove your thinking out there in the world primarily, and you deal with sensate internally. That means that [...]

Wanna know how the test works? Well, we evaluated all of that directly. Here, have some links that describe what Te and Si are."​

is just as accessible as, if not more than,

"Congratulations! We measured up four dichotomies, and you're ESTJ. This means that you shove your thinking out there in the world primarily, and you deal with sensate internally. This means that [...]

Wanna know how the test works? Well, the 'J' indicates that you extravert your Judgment, and the way you Judge is determined by that third dichotomy. If it were a 'P', well, we'd refer to that second dichotomy instead. And if that 'E' were an 'I', we'd say that that STJ is all ass-backwards. You'd still extravert Thinking, yeah, but you don't care about that as much as you care about Sensing inside.

And that means that your function ordering is TeSi. Maybe. I don't even know anymore. Had that damn 'P' popped up instead, you'd have a completely different function ordering. But we somehow maintain Ti and Se are totally different than Te and Si. Here are some links that describe Te and Si, or Ti and Se, or whatever."​

I mean, at the very surface, one could look at each of those four dichotomies and be done with the whole thing. But the very next step that most resources -- even the managerial or businessy ones -- take is to start describing the cognitive functions anyway.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You probably don't need flattered like this -- but if you don't already, you should have some sort of blog here or some website where you keep these sorts of writings. And [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] should sticky the hell out of it. It's all good stuff, and it'd make a good resource for TypoC and others.

That's a good idea.

I would be happy to sticky it. Great idea. [MENTION=18736]reckful[/MENTION]

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My own personal -- but likely totally wrong -- perspective is that MBTI plugged an extension cord to Jung's outlet, then deliberately tangled it the hell up. Thanks for making Jung more accessible, Isabel; but.. you know, that straight cord would've been better.

MBTI claims to tease out a function stacking, right? If its ultimate goal is to tease out such a stacking, why mash together four Clarity of Preference scales to come up with a stacking, rather than test for the stacking directly? Nardi at least took a stab at that approach.

"Congratulations! We measured up some ways of dealing with the world, and you're TeSi. You shove your thinking out there in the world primarily, and you deal with sensate internally. That means that [...]

Wanna know how the test works? Well, we evaluated all of that directly. Here, have some links that describe what Te and Si are."​

is just as accessible as, if not more than,

"Congratulations! We measured up four dichotomies, and you're ESTJ. This means that you shove your thinking out there in the world primarily, and you deal with sensate internally. This means that [...]

Wanna know how the test works? Well, the 'J' indicates that you extravert your Judgment, and the way you Judge is determined by that third dichotomy. If it were a 'P', well, we'd refer to that second dichotomy instead. And if that 'E' were an 'I', we'd say that that STJ is all ass-backwards. You'd still extravert Thinking, yeah, but you don't care about that as much as you care about Sensing inside.

And that means that your function ordering is TeSi. Maybe. I don't even know anymore. Had that damn 'P' popped up instead, you'd have a completely different function ordering. But we somehow maintain Ti and Se are totally different than Te and Si. Here are some links that describe Te and Si, or Ti and Se, or whatever."​

I mean, at the very surface, one could look at each of those four dichotomies and be done with the whole thing. But the very next step that most resources -- even the managerial or businessy ones -- take is to start describing the cognitive functions anyway.

I too once thought measuring function-attitudes directly was a better idea. The Singer-Loomis is another instrument that supposedly does that (and allows any combination).

But Jung framed the theory in terms of four “natural” (whole or not divided by orientation) functions, and then went into attitude via the dominant function. It was the ego that was introverted or extraverted, and simply oriented its dominant function into the preferred attitude. This was what Myers picked up, and then devised the J/P system to point to the attitudes. They weren't thinking of “the functions” as these eight solid things, as we often do.

She also started out trying to create another system similar to DISC or Social Styles, and J/P came in handy for that, as they tell you what will figure in interactions with other people more. (Hence them being used prominently in Keirsey and Berens theories).

Trying to measure eight items ends up creating more confusion than measuring four, as it's more to define (and definitions end up imperfect), and so more room for Forer effects or misunderstandings, as we actually saw with Keys 2 Cognition and especially the other one someone created on PerC.

Last edited:

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

Thanks for the thumbs-up.

If you look at the list of linked posts at the end of that long post of mine that you quoted, you'll see that the second one is:

Myers (rightly) left the functions behind.

As that post explains at some length, what Myers really discovered, after putting Jung's original notions to the test, was that the four dichotomies were what type is really about. And various dichotomy combinations are associated with noteworthy aspects of personality as well, but there's nothing special about the ones that purportedly correspond to the "cognitive functions."

The official MBTI test doesn't use the dichotomies because, even though the functions are for real, the dichotomies are somehow, paradoxically, more testable. The official MBTI test uses the dichotomies because the dichotomies are what's real, and the functions are a "category mistake."

And there's a lot more about all that in those linked posts.

I'm not interested in doing a blog for a lot of reasons. My little essays on this, that and the other aspect of the MBTI are steadily evolving, and many of my posts are plenty long as it is, without doing any further consolidation. I don't know that there's anybody currently posting on any MBTI-related forum who recycles and links to his own stuff as much as I do, so there's no risk of my perspectives getting lost in the mists of time.

And which parts of my posting history I want to try to steer people to in any particular new thread often involves a balancing act between the desire to link to more stuff because, you know, I think everybody should read everything I write :alttongue: and the wisdom to limit my linking to increase the odds that any particular reader of the new thread will actually spend the time that it takes to pull up and read the one or two or three posts I linked to (and that were presumably the most relevant ones to that thread).

And again, I'm constantly replacing older posts with supplemented/adjusted versions in any case, or recycling just selected parts of older posts, and etc.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And which parts of my posting history I want to try to steer people to in any particular new thread often involves a balancing act between the desire to link to more stuff because, you know, I think everybody should read everything I write :alttongue: and the wisdom to limit my linking to increase the odds that any particular reader of the new thread will actually spend the time that it takes to pull up and read the one or two or three posts I linked to (and that were presumably the most relevant ones to that thread).

And again, I'm constantly replacing older posts with supplemented/adjusted versions in any case, or recycling just selected parts of older posts, and etc.

I made a wiki page from your spoiler section above. You should feel free to update and edit it over time as you see fit, if you prefer that to something more static (since forum posts are locked down after a certain date).

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I too once thought measuring function-attitudes directly was a better idea. The Singer-Loomis is another instrument that supposedly does that (and allows any combination).

But Jung framed the theory in terms of four “natural” (whole or not divided by orientation) functions, and then went into attitude via the dominant function. It was the ego that was introverted or extraverted, and simply oriented its dominant function into the preferred attitude. This was what Myers picked up, and then devised the J/P system to point to the attitudes. They weren't thinking of “the functions” as these eight solid things, as we often do.

She also started out trying to create another system similar to DISC or Social Styles, and J/P came in handy for that, as they tell you what will figure in interactions with other people more. (Hence them being used prominently in Keirsey and Berens theories).

Trying to measure eight items ends up creating more confusion than measuring four, as it's more to define (and definitions end up imperfect), and so more room for Forer effects or misunderstandings, as we actually saw with Keys 2 Cognition and especially the other one someone created on PerC.
I didn't know that Myers thought the same way. Her rationale was at least defensible, but packaging it all up as a DISC-like system didn't exactly help. Still, not her fault.

I don't know how or when the function-attitudes began to be seen as isolated, unrelated entities. My second -- likely totally wrong -- perspective is that we treat, say, Fe and Fi as completely different entities and place undue focus on axes -- that, e.g. Te-Fi or Fe-Ti are the most meaningful divisions; that ISFJs are totally different in both thought and behavior than ISFPs, closer instead to ENTPs.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
MBTI laid the basis for focusing on eight function-attitudes, but the eight fixed items view probably came as a result of Harold Grant, as was mentioned, and people picking up his view. I know in the online type community, Berens/Nardi seems to be the most influential (being they paired Keirsey temperament back with JCF, and this is what we all in practice discuss), and they are influenced by John Beebe, and that whole circle all really focus on the eight as solid items. (Others are Hartzler and Haas & Hunziker). Using the Grant stack, you do end up with "ego-syntonic" tandems like the ones you mention, while the opposite tandem, is considered "shadow", following Beebe. (They've now even added names for these tandems).

(Also of note, the final Myers system is not the "DISC-like" system I referred to. She started out with four "styles", like "Marketable", "Sociable" [IIRC] etc. and then discovered Jung, and tried to work his ideas (introversion, etc) into hers, and this is what eventually fanned it out into the four dichotomies of MBTI).

Doomkid

A mistake people use when they read Jung is they think Ni correlates to N*J, when Ni to Carl Jung just meant *Introverted intuitive* - i.e a person who was both introverted, and intuitive. J and P did not exist in Carl Jungs model. Which just goes to show you the MBTI is much more refined than Jungs theories which were never able to gain any scientific or popular momentum.

the J and P tried to refine the model, but when you try to apply it to cognitive functions they are inconsistent.

the 'letters model' are useful if we ignore the functions, but when you try to mix both...

Carl Jung himself was never really able to self-identify as any type, and he knew his own model better than anyone else.

that doesn't mean anything, just means that in his model is easier to type other people than to type yourself, IMO that's kind of obvious, it's like trying to use your eyes to see your own eyes you need someone else or a mirror

Paladin-X

This claim is inaccurate.

It's semantics really. MBTI's tertiary is the same thing as Jung's second auxiliary. Here's a post I made on the topic of the tertiary on another forum:

The confusion about the tertiary is because Jung referred to it as an auxiliary function. There is the dominant, two auxiliaries, and the inferior functions.

He mentions a "tertiary function" near the end of PT in the "Principal and Auxiliary Functions" section of chapter X:

For all the types met with in practice, the rule holds good that besides the conscious, primary function there is a relatively unconscious, auxiliary function which is in every respect different from the nature of the primary function. The resulting combinations present the familiar picture of, for instance, practical thinking allied with sensation, speculative thinking forging ahead with intuition, artistic intuition selecting and presenting its images with the help of feeling-values, philosophical intuition systematizing its vision into comprehensible thought by means of a powerful intellect, and so on.

The unconscious functions likewise group themselves in patterns correlated with the conscious ones. Thus, the correlative of conscious, practical thinking may be unconscious, intuitive-feeling attitude, with feeling under a stronger inhibition than intuition.

CW6 - Pg 406-407, Par669-670

He mentions it more clearly here:

If we think of the psychological functions as arranged in a circle, then the most differentiated function is usually the carrier of the ego and equally regularly, has an auxiliary function attached to it. The "inferior" function, on the other hand is unconscious and for that reason is projected into a non-ego. It too has an auxiliary function.

Fucntions.jpg

CW12 - Pg 106-7

FWIW, here is Jung treating an INTJ by going through auxiliary thinking to conflict with feeling to get to reality:

Here is Jung explaining the process of going from the Dominant to the Inferior: