• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Examples of various functions?

cameo

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I wanted to start a thread, for my own edification, wherein different examples of the cognitive functions could be discussed because I couldn't find a recent one of a similar nature. The main reason I wanted to bring this up was because I was discussing a tendency both I and my best friend (an ESTJ) have of thinking that we have had actual conversations or done actual things (like having sent a text) when, in fact, we have only imagined doing the thing. To be more specific, often times I will think of something I have to tell a person, and I will proceed to imagine the conversation I might have with that person. Eventually, when I see the person, I sometimes forget whether I have actually told them the thing I needed to tell them or whether I have only imagined telling them. The discussion my friend and I were having about how we both do this led me to wonder about how this might be tied to our cognitive functions; that is, I was wondering if this is tied to our (dominant and auxiliary, respectively) Si function in the way it is internally oriented and also so tied to recalling past interactions and so forth.

But also I might be construing this incorrectly, since I have a feeling that this experience (of imagining/misremembering conversations, etc.) is probably pretty common and thus not necessarily connected to a specific cognitive function. But I like to have examples of the functions because otherwise I have a hard time really understanding what they do. Does anyone else have any insight into this, or can provide examples of the functions, specifically Si?

Thor

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hehe, one cool thing we've found to be true in neojungian typology is that:

Thinking types have alot of 'procedural memories' - how to memories, memories of instructions, how to perform at a task, mechanic memories.

Feeling types have alot of 'anecdotic memories' - why memories, what it felt memories, something you experienced, something somebody said that affected you somehow.

Intuitive types have alot of associative memories, how things connect, what relates to what, what goes with what, how to add things together. Helps for memorizing patterns, pi-digits, concepts, etc.

Sensing types have differential memories, for example how things are different from each others, which is good for rehearsing and memorizing names, quickly grasping differences.

That said, we use all four of these functions, otherwise we wouldn't function normally. And memories can be proactive (working memory, in your nearest memory) which indicates J usage, or long-term memories that are harder to access (I memories) or reactive memories (P memories) that trigger when you see someone or hear something, and you make a rehearsed response to that activity immidiately. There's probably an E form of memory as well, which is stimuli based, but I haven't come across any research on Extroverted memory networks in neuroscience so far.

cameo

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I think that is super interesting! I am trying to think about what types of memories I seem to store in regard to those categories you listed. I do think that, as a dominant Si user, I probably do tend to be able to access those types of "differential" memories quite well. Further, I think that helps me in terms of understanding how the functions might actually play out in real life, or what examples might be of each function that demonstrate it. I find that that's one of the most difficult parts of Jungian typology, generally, because it's hard to splice apart our actions in the moment and analyze the underlying processes or to think back on how we conduct ourselves and our cognition after the fact and pick it apart to understand it. So thanks!