• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types and Revenge

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Incidentially, "turning the other cheek" is a cultural reference that goes unnoticed by those who haven't had it pointed it out to them. You use this phrase in error (like most).

Turning the other cheek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow, that "figurative interpretation" is opposite all right. Still, isn't the "non-resistance literal interpretation" both still valid (due to the context of the verse) and the norm? The Wikipedia article reads that way to me.

indigo2020

MBTI Type
INFJ
I have a thing for impulsively, physically lashing out at INFJs once they reach a point where my anger boils over.

As for seeking revenge..either I fantasize about it in my head if I have a lot of time to think about it (but never actually carry out my plans)..or I do it spur-of-the-moment once I get the chance, usually to be funny in front of people. If I get one of those spur-of-the-moment chances to get revenge sometimes I spend too much time deciding whether to take it or not, and the chance is over.
what is it INFJ's do to provoke you this much, and is it only INFJ's or other types as well?

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, I was about to say... I would imagine they would be the last type to illicit that type of reaction. INFJs are ice cream, teddy bears and daises.

link here

see picture of woman in field of flowers halfway down the page

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what is it INFJ's do to provoke you this much, and is it only INFJ's or other types as well?

When they are serious about something negative..they are so serious...the rigidity is just...AAAGH.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
When they are serious about something negative..they are so serious...the rigidity is just...AAAGH.
Heh. Good thing we tend to mellow with age.

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm too lazy for revenge, I may think of it in the initial phases of my hurt, but acting on it seems like too much effort.

I just cut them out of my life and move on. Also it's bringing myself to treat someone so badly that I can't do. My revenge plots are not very nice, to act them out wouldn't be very nice, and although they would finally hurt like they made me hurt, I would be responsible for it, and as it stands I just can't do it.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'm not vengeful in regard to romantic matters. Everybody makes his/her choices, and that's all.

Another matter is work. I've already planned to kill the entire family (no joke) of an employer that, by virtue of some contractual trick, managed not to pay me 2 full months of working.

I've had an ISFJ girlfriend burning all the nice love letters-poetry I had written her over me making a strong comment over a girl that was passing by. I found it offensive and petty, I broke up with her immediatly.

maidenhair

MBTI Type
INFP
I fantasize about revenge periodically but could never follow through. I feel guilty for even thinking of deliberately and methodically hurting someone. I have, in the heat of the moment, said very nasty things to and about people. As a child, when my brother aggravated me, I would hit him. In both situations, I've apologized profusely to the people I've hurt after I cooled down and realized I accomplished nothing by behaving so irrationally.

I'm not terribly upset when perpetrators of particularly heinous crimes receive a taste of poetic justice, however.

lastrailway

I think it takes hurt feelings to seek for revenge and it is kind of illogical, so I would say F-types would me more prone to get back at somebody.
Even if the kind of revenge seems totaly detached and planned, the motivation would be usually based upon feelings more than pure logic. I think, at least

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
My occasional little retaliations are usually quite lame and mostly serve the purpose of releasing my feelings before they bottle up. These little retaliations aside, I do bear long grudges. It takes a lot to really anger me, but when I finally feel angry, I do show it. Also, chances are that I will never forgive. I have never carried out a well-planned, cold-blooded revenge, but I have assumed a bitter, merciless attitude towards some people who have gone too far. I can connect it with Fi, I guess.

TheGreatMartini

MBTI Type
INXX
INFJs, however, are much less vengeful, since their auxiliary Fe is very compassionate and isn't really inclined to hate. Their Ni function will be inclined to fantasize about it, but Fe has a desire to be compassionate. Hence, they are much less likely to act out on revenge.

This is true, at least as far as 'traditional' vengeance is concerned, but I've known an INFJ or two to take out their grudges in a much more passive-aggressive way. Case one would involve an INFJ guy I know who, when his advances for a girl he was interested were brusquely pushed aside, would take his 'revenge' in a very subtle way whenever in her presence by making personal remarks disguised as a general comment. The nature of the insults were so general and relevant to the conversation at hand that apparently only she and those who really knew what was going on would understand they were directed at her. I suppose that's what happens when you combine a bruised ego with Ni and Fe.

Case 2 involves pretty much the same thing, but more in the form of sulking and pouting from an INFJ woman which has lasted years since I inadvertently hurt her feelings all that time ago. We remained friends since, but things have never been the same between us. For the longest time I could never quite understand why, but she was (in my mind) irrationally prone to siding against me whenever the chance arose despite our having made up. Although she never took any kind of vengeance in the truest sense of the word, she definitely held a grudge. I guess this is Fe compassion winning out, but still. I just wish she could have gotten over it.

Sesshoumaru

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well, I am an INTP, and I really think of revenge as a way to balance things, the whole universe is based in balance, so why not be part of the balance? Obviously, I won't do more than what I received, but I'll do the same amount of harm that I got, evaluating it with my inner logic principles... I will even try to exact "fair revenge" by doing the same thing I received and in the same time I received it... However, if that person doesn't suffer from it, I'll change it so that they realize that hurting me was wrong, because I avoid all unnecessary conflict (the revenge I don't see unnecessary)

Frank

I knew an INFJ who used to do some pretty nasty shit to people who she had perceived had wronged her. Nothing violent, just nasty.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The best revenge is to succeed, to prove yourself right.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i have awesome visions of revenge when i'm steaming angry, and can say a lot of bitchy asshattery when steaming angry, but that state doesn't usually last much longer than half an hour, lol. so i don't really do revenge.

from a logical standpoint it doesn't really seem like it gets me much anywhere, either.

I agree with this. IMO, the aspect of revenge that is rational punishment for bad behavior is being neglected in most of this thread.

so you're saying it makes sense to punish someone because they did something you personally don't approve of? to an extent, i get it, but if we all did that, i don't know how well society would function. i guess if it was something i was REALLY against i'd agree. but i think we have to compromise and not do this all the time if we want to have a somewhat-peaceful social environment.

i prefer lack of positive reinforcement over punishment. it's more subtle, more effective, and unlikely to cause widespread negativity.

Yeah, I was about to say... I would imagine they would be the last type to illicit that type of reaction. INFJs are ice cream, teddy bears and daises.

NFJ determinedness when angry scares me

The best revenge is to succeed, to prove yourself right.

agree

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I like to give people a taste of their own medicine, muahahahaaa ;).

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
As a kid, I was very much for revenge. Even if things happened accidentally. I had to (in my mind) serve justice . I could convince people, who'd accidentally hurt me in some way, to let me hurt them back in the same way. This was in kindergarten.

Nowadays, I'm like "meh". As long as I know what's right and wrong, I don't really care about you. But it depends. If it's worth it, if there a point to be made, I'll still "revenge" in some way. Teach them something.

I can be more hellbent if someone has hurt someone I care about, then I'm like "oh, it is on". But maybe that's more like defending someone, rather than revenge.

In either case, I still enjoy the plotting.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESTPs - We are the best friends anyone can EVER have, but God help anyone who fucks us over, they will pay dearly.

You punch us, we break your arm.

That's basically the logic of things as we see it. There's no "this for that."

To us it's:

Our backlash ---> :devil:THIS for That.<---Someone else's pre-emptive strike

Cheers,

:cheers:

-Halla

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
ESTPs - We are the best friends anyone can EVER have, but God help anyone who fucks us over, they will pay dearly.

You punch us, we break your arm.

That's basically the logic of things as we see it. There's no "this for that."

To us it's:

Our backlash ---> :devil:THIS for That.<---Someone else's pre-emptive strike

Cheers,

:cheers:

-Halla

Is this what you're referring to?

I can't believe you left out the strongest type.

ESTPs will cut a bitch.

:peepwall:

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I don't believe in vengeful acts in the main - the worst revenge I seek is justice or to feel pity for a person who does unspeakable acts.

Think about it - how many people would prefer someone to take active revenge because it makes you feel superior and, to some extent justified the act that someone has sought revenge for. Then think again - how many people like to feel pitied - how does someone's else's pity of you make you feel (not self-pity)?