• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hibike Euphonium MBTI

Kyubey

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
8w7
This will probably be a void thread since not many are watching Hibike Euphonium (an anime currently airing). I would like to know what people think the types of the characters are. This will probably be edited once the series is over. So far, I would say;

Reina Kousaka- INTJ
She definitely shows Te in the way she plays trumpet and how she does in band as either a dominant or auxiliary and also seems to be introverted. That leaves IxTJ. I initially was leaning to ISTJ but in the most recent episode(episode 8) I think she is more of an INTJ. I don't see much "I want to be special. I can become special by playing trumpet." in ISTJ. It isn't the best reason to say she is an INTJ but she seems to hold strong ideals for herself and environment.
Kumiko Oumae- IxxP
I'm very unsure of her type and just narrowed it down to IxxP by just using process of elimination. I'm leaning towards T which leaves ISTP and INTP. I think she uses Se>Ne which would be ISTP but something tells me that it's not right and I can't see her as an ISTP much which I'm leaving open as IxxP.
Hazuki Katou- ExFP
Leaning towards to ESFP because I think Se is more evident. She's definitely extroverted and a feeler. I don't have much substantial information for J/P but ENFJ seems unlikely and while I can see ESFJ, It's not something I could back up more than ExFP.
Sapphire Kawashima (Midori)- ISFP
Asuka Tanaka- ENTP

I apologize for lack of explanation.

wrolra01

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I definitely agree that Reina is INTJ all the way. There's the future oriented focus Ni, the plan of how to accomplish that goal Te, the strongly held personal values Fi, and an awareness of what is going on around her Se.
I also agree that Asuka is an ENTP- just her randomness and love of sharing knowledge without necessarily caring about others feelings so much (see Episode 9: practice time wasted over someone's feelings= not happy Asuka).

Where I disagree is with Kumiko. The fact that she is so difficult to type, and that everyone keeps calling her distant (and weird in the forums) screams INFJ. She is inordinately concerned over others feelings Fe, and tries to act the good girl and avoid stomping on anyone's feelings. She also tries to categorize her thoughts Ti. The difficult part to see as with most introverts is what their leading function is. We know Kumiko is introverted, so it would be her auxillary process which we would see interacting with the world (ie: Fe). Reina says that Kumiko has a good girl skin that she wants to peel away, that's her Fe. Kumiko also seems more concerned with understanding the world than organizing it to suit her will, which implies Ti over Te.

Her difficult to see dominant Ni I think is highlighted in the scene where we see her writing in her notebook about who wants to go with who to the Festival in Episode 8. She takes her infomation, categorizes it (Ti) and makes a future projection on what will happen (Ni), and then even has a daydream about a possible unwanted conclusion that these factors could lead up towards (Ni). Also, her initial reasoning at not wanting to go to the festival was that it wasn't new (novel) for her, she's been there done that. That is the Ni desire for novel experiences. Se shows up in that she is very aware of her surroundings- sometimes (it is her aspiring function, which means she'll never be great at it).

Not to beat a dead horse, but another reason that I think this is that Reina and Kumiko are both dominant Ni and Aspiring Se. They are very similar in the whole being misunderstood and being different than the others part. INFJ and INTJ are often called cousin or sister types because they both take in information the same way Ni-Se, but process and act on it diffently Fe-Ti vs Te-Fi. It makes sense in every way for them to be drawn to each other as is listed on the official Japanese site between the characters photos on the relationship chart ("gravity"is written between them- they gravitate to each other). Also of note, INTJ and INFJ are both very rare! No wonder hardly anybody understands them!

Reina Kousaka- INTJ
Kumiko Oumae- INFJ
Hazuki Katou- ESFP
Sapphire Kawashima (Midori)- ISFP
Asuka Tanaka- ENTP

I don't really care to explain Midori or Hazuki- I agree with the reasoning mentioned.

I'm happy to bring up more points about my typing of Kumiko (I've got another 50, but I don't want to write a book here just yet.

Kyubey

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
8w7
Thank you, that cleared up my thoughts on Kumiko. Now that you mention it and told me the reasons why I also believe she is an INFJ. It's just that something feels off about her being INFJ which I can't exactly nail down. I had a conversation with a friend in person afterwards about Kumiko and while we both agreed she was like and INFJ we also both agreed something about just seemed wrong. However, it could be due to the fact we both haven't interacted with many of them yet.
After finishing episode 11 I can say Reina is definitely INTJ :)
Asuka is a bit confusing to me. While I definitely thought ENTP the first several episodes in the recent episodes I started having my doubts. While I still do believe she is ENTP, it could just be one of her 'masks'.
May I hear more reasoning on why Kumiko is INFJ? I agree with you but I'm very curious on more you have to share about her personality.

Kyubey

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
8w7
[MENTION=25300]wrolra01[/MENTION] Tagging to make sure you see above points and if you have any additions now that the series is over.

Kyubey

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
8w7
Hibike Euphonium MBTI (edited now that the series is over.)

Reina Kousaka- INTJ
Kumiko Oumae- INFJ
Hazuki Katou- ESFP
Sapphire Kawashima- ISFP
Asuka Tanaka- ENTP
Taki Sensei- INFP (Seems strange but I'm actually pretty confident in this one.)
Nakaseko Kaori- ISFJ
Yoshikawa Yuuko- ESFJ who directs Fe to Kaori?

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hibike Euphonium MBTI (edited now that the series is over.)

Reina Kousaka- INTJ
Kumiko Oumae- INFJ
Hazuki Katou- ESFP
Sapphire Kawashima- ISFP
Asuka Tanaka- ENTP
Taki Sensei- INFP (Seems strange but I'm actually pretty confident in this one.)
Nakaseko Kaori- ISFJ
Yoshikawa Yuuko- ESFJ who directs Fe to Kaori?

I'm on episode 12, so I'm not quite finished, but I'll have a go at doing some typing.

Reina Kousaka- ISFP 4w5 (I think she comes across as Te because she's very stern and inexpressive, but her way of thinking that she will stay true to herself and her skills regardless of what others think seems like strong Fi, which some Se impulsiveness seen in how she will suddenly start playing the trumpet in the middle of the class etc.)
Kumiko Oumae - I'm not sure about INFJ for her, but I can't come up with another good typing. 9w1?
Hazuki Katou- ESFP 7w6?
Sapphire Kawashima - Maybe ExFP 2w3? (She's kind of bland though.)
Asuka Tanaka- ENTP 7w8
Taki Sensei- I could see INFP 1w9
Nakaseko Kaori- ISFJ 1w2/2w1?
Yoshikawa Yuuko- ESFJ 2w3?

wrolra01

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Response to Questions

Sorry for the wait on the reply [MENTION=25217]Kyubey[/MENTION]. My response to your question if I changed any of my typings now that the season is done: no. I'm still pretty confident about all of them. Let me explain the ones that were questioned:

Asuka Tanaka- The part that made you feel uneasy, with her 'masks', is kind of how I view Fe in general. Fe has to do with knowing how others are feeling, and then adjusting the self accordingly. It is not necessarily something that projects only kindness either- more so the image that you want to be picked up on by others. It is the function that allows you to know others by and make the correct expressions for what feeling you wish to convey. Plus, since Asuka is a girl, and in general, women are conditioned by society (probably especially in Japan) to better use Fe (be friendly, even if that's not how you personally feel- i.e. project a mask of pleasantness), it makes a terrible amount of sense for Asuka to have a well developed Fe, despite it being her third function. I think her ability to use "masks" fits right into the description of female ENTP.

Reina Kousaka- This is more a reply to [MENTION=8240]tsumatachi_san[/MENTION]. I can totally see where you would think that Reina is an ISFP since she is such a 4w5! The scene where I think this doesn't quite fit is where Yuuko (Ribbons) tells everybody (in front of Reina and Taki) that Reina was favored in the audition. When Reina leaves and Kumiko chases after her, she is so angry, she repeatedly slaps her thighs (haha) and then says something akin to "Yuuko isn't even very good [at trumpet]. Her opinion doesn't even matter until she is good". I have a lot of INTJ friends irl (somehow I have found 4 female ones to boot- I must have some weird INTJ radar- haha). One of the main themes I have noticed in INTJ's treatment of people is that of them valuing competence. My INTJ cousin informed me that the primary lens (not the only but the first) is whether or not they are competent. So to Reina, who values competency with the trumpet, Yuuko's opinion is especially angering to her, as Yuuko is not very good. So if you aren't good at band, your opinion about band related items is not as valid.

I realize that ISFP and INTJ have all the same cognitive functions, so the question really should be, what is her dominant function? Due to Reina's ultra obsessed chasing of a future goal (to be special by being good at trumpet), for her to be anything but Ni dominant is sort of improbable to me. To me, enneagram 4 is all about mass amounts of Ni and Fi, or Ne and Fi. If there can be male INFJ 5's, there certainly can be female INTJ 4's [I do note that it is MOST COMMON for INFJ's to be 4's and INTJ's to be 5's]. I'm sure that INTJ 4's very very rare, but Reina doesn't come off to me as someone you could commonly find either. She is also a little too good at Te for it to be her 4th function. It makes more sense for her to just have a well developed 3rd function Fi instead. I won't touch on her getting along with Kumiko again as more evidence, but it was there too. Ni-doms just generally get along. They just view the world similarly.

Kumiko Oumae- I'll attempt to give my extra reasons for her typing. They are in list form as I thought of them, and I don't have the time to make the writing flow more naturally now unfortunately:

Xnfj are the quintessential perfectionists. In episode 4 Kumiko is unhappy with anything less than perfection in her playing and is unhappy moving through the exercises since there is always something she could have done better. She continues in this vein of thought for the rest of the series.

Silence is unbearable to her in episode 5 (like many fe-dom and fe-aux people). She tries to find a subject to talk to Reina about that won’t upset her (Fe logic).

INFJ are excellent judges of character and potential as friends (or a relationship) [sometimes a person who is a little scary might take us longer to work up the courage to approach]. Reina would be a lot of things that an INFJ 4 would love. Authentic and special.

This is a quote from a board about INFJ's (I apologize for losing the source- I'm sure multiple with this info exist):
"There is often a discrepancy between the way they present (extraverted feeling auxiliary) and the way they really are (introverted intuition dominant)."
Clearly Kumiko has a discrepancy between how she acts and how she thinks/feels (INFJ paradox- very typical).

Kumiko talking to Midori over phone about how to act around Hazuki (who is depressed after being rejected). Counselor/advisor role = typical infj.
Fe mask= INFJ way to hide (shield), is a mask making function of sorts.

Tertiary Ti-> Kumiko can’t lie to Reina, she values her too much, so her tertiary Ti (working with Ni to discover absolute truths) [which makes her say really mean blunt things accidentally sometimes] makes her tell Reina the truth in Ep 11 when Reina asks Kumiko if she'd really side with her about the audition, even if it was the unpopular opinion (Fe dilemma!).

Extreme sense of privacy from sister and family.-> INFJ classic flaw, overly private.

Infj can make ridiculously strong ties to people very quickly = very closely bonded.
Having aux Fe makes her not realize her own feelings about things sometimes (this is because Fi is INFJ's critical parent function- it's probably INFJs second most prevalent function after Ni, but it is all subconscious, so she doesn't have an awareness of her own feelings sometimes, even though they are overwhelmingly there).[This point is actually one of the most fascinating things about INFJs to me].

Kumiko seems to have been deeply hurt by Shuiichi in the past. When infj is hurt, they can go into Ni-Ti loop to remain introverted completely (defense mechanism-bypasses Fe completely). Ni can also tell INFJ that they shouldn’t use Fe in a given situation- i.e. her cold shouldering Shuiichi all the time. She could have pulled a minor "door slam" on him too (look up "INFJ Door slam", we're apparently famous for it).

This is a part that I saw translated from the novel (not spoilery): Kumiko thinking about crushing a butterfly for the heck of it. Infj has a general fascination with violence- I personally hate it and yet it is fascinating to me at the same time. [Someone like INFP just doesn't have that].

As an INFJ, I literally had my INTJ roomate effectively tell me, “I want to rip that nice girl mask off you” (when I heard that line from Reina I was a bit startled). As INTJ are more prone to get at the nitty-gritty absolute truths, and INFJ wants to sugar-coat it usually (unless it’s a thinking type that I really like- then I’ll tell them my honest opinions), to Fi users, Fe users might come off as "fake".

Another translated quote from the novel essentially said: Kumiko feels like being around Reina is calming, she doesn’t have to play the social game and can be herself freely. [My sentiments exactly.]

INFJ seeks validation from others most strongly. She is so happy that Reina has seen this “horrible” side to her and validates it- even loves that about her.

Kumiko thinks its weird that Reina would cry over dud gold because, why would she ever think that the band would go beyond that? Ni-Ti logic.

Kumiko's overall extreme passion (which is concealed a lot due to Fe- but is still a very core part of her being). This passion shows itself best in that famous running scene where she's crying, and then yelling across the street to Shuichi. To me, this is a VERY enneagram 4 thing. Which, most INFJ's are 4w5's.

Sorry that the Kumiko section was so all over- I'm just super busy. If it needs clarification, please please ask me!! I think that INFJs are so under-represented in people's typings, not because they are not there, but because they are difficult to type. I want to defend the ones I see!

Kyubey

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
8w7
[MENTION=25300]wrolra01[/MENTION]
Thanks for your response :)
Your reasons for Kumiko were very clear. One thing that didn't make much sense to me was the point of INFJ being fascinated by violence where as INFP aren't? I strongly dislike violence but am also quite fascinated by it but I've noticed several INFP who think the same way. I don't see this as very type related/holding much water. Do you have a reason why INFJ behave like so?
I recently met an INFJ female (who's severely unhealthy) and she reminds me intensely of Kumiko!
Do you have any other opinion on any of the other characters?

wrolra01

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Let me quote the phrase from an MBTI blogger who I like (mostly) that I'm basically referencing with that point:

"INFPs abhor violence. If you want to get an INFP to never talk to you again, act in a violent and upsetting manner around them and see how quickly they will quietly close their emotional door on you (which, if they don’t know you that well, is not likely to be that far open to begin with). INFPs physically cannot stomach violence. Their systems simply cannot handle it. In line with this, they tend to favor foods that are bland in taste.

INFJs tend to be fascinated with violence, and at the very least, are somewhat receptive to it. While they are usually not the enactors of violence, they often like to be surrounded by people that hold some prospect of violence in their nature. This secretly excites them."

Out of the two INFPs that I knew (both women), whenever we'd watch a violent movie together, I could literally feel them recoiling beside me (because my Fe). One even made it a point to mention it to me multiple times that she just HATES violence. I'm not going to say that this one trait can't be an individual thing too though. It was more of a, oh that fits with what this guy mentioned, kind of point for me really. I don't think it makes or breaks my case, so I'm not overly attached to it.

I forgot to mention one of my most compelling points with Kumiko before! Her facial expressions! She's Fe city with all those crazy expressions all the time! I'm not sure if you are aware of the whole role of the critical parent function in MBTI theory, but for INFJ it's Fi. Since it's a shadow function, it is going to be mostly subconscious, but it is, to me, more shaping of an INFJ personality than Fe is. Like Fi is a base of the personality in some way. I mean, you see all those social justice warrior INFJs online, and they are just oozing Fi (internally held values, personal emotions).

Where I'm going with the whole subconscious but very present Fi, is that, with a lot of Fe ability (lets you make very expressive facial expressions), and the subconscious yet very strongly felt feelings of critical parent Fi, INFJs make all kinds of facial expressions all the time with what they are feeling! This apparently occurs outside of our knowledge if my ENFJ friend is to be believed (she is- lol). Actually, that's something that my friends comment on about me all the time, my ever-present facial expression armada. I'm not even necessarily aware that my emotions are written all over my sleeves sometimes.

Thoughts on the other characters... I might mention Kaori and how her ISFJ-ness interacts with Asuka's ENTP-ness. Since ISFJ is Si-dom, they can be a bit predictable to a point for some intuitive types (which isn't necessarily a bad thing to be a very stable person- I'm not putting it down at all). Since Kaori is very concerned with what Asuka thinks of her (since Ti is basically absolute truths regardless of hurt feelings), she wants to excel further than Asuka has used her Ne-Ti to predict that she will. Kaori is such a healthy ISFJ!

Besides Midori and Hazuki, I haven't personally typed any of the other characters.

It's nice that you finally got to interact with an INFJ in real life, but it's too bad that she's unhealthy. I feel like some of my favorite people in the world are INTJs, and we nearly always get along so well~ I wish the best for her... being an unhealthy INFJ can be really rough. Too much subconscious Fi and Ni-Ti loop can be hell.

Thanks for chatting about Hibike with me [MENTION=25217]Kyubey[/MENTION]! It's been fun!:D