• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introvert and extrovert functions

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
So I am trying to understand what these functiony things be doing.

A function takes in information, does something to the information, then outputs a results.

Cognitively there are 4 different functions with 2 different attitude for each.

I envision these functions as being like a ball, containing the essential features of what the individual knows about that function in the abstract.

So for an introverted function, it processes information like this: information comes in, then the function-ball identifies the basic form of the information in terms of whatever of the four functions it happens to be, e.g. Ti will extract the basic logical formula underlying something. Since many different kinds of information will activate the same Thinking-complex, when Ti extracts the form of some information, it will be immediately linked to another set of information with the same basic Thought-form.

I'm an introvert so introverted use of a function is easier for me to grasp.

For extroverted function I think it is something like this: there will be some information in the environment, and, using the forms from the function-ball, the individual will impose a particular kind of of form onto the information, for example Te will impose a logical/conceptual structure onto the information in question. The information will be re-organised so it fits into a conceptual scheme.

Can anyone tell me more about what extroverted functions do exactly?

I am also seeking a stripped down version of what kinds of features it is exactly that each of the N/S/F/T functions are using, like what the essential property is of each of the four function-balls and the energy fields that the information is divided into.

Then I will try to describe and identify functions because at the moment I have no idea.

aanule

MBTI Type
ENFP
You use both introverted and extraverted functions. Being an introvert, your primary function will be an introverted one, but you will also have extraverted ones.

Do you know your type?

Your introverted function is how you deal with your internal world... It's personal to you and dealing with you. Your extraverted function is how you deal with the outer world. The people and things around you.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Attitude means habitual/automatic way of doing X or approaching thing according to X(Attitude = "readiness of the psyche to act or react in a certain way" -Jung). Functions are N S F T, which can also be called attitudes(function attitudes), like INTP has a thinking and intuitive attitude in decision making and perception. This doesent mean that INTP couldnt use S and F, its just that automatic reaction is to relate to things with T and N.

Functions also have I/E attitude. Meaning that the functions are habitually/automatically oriented in relation to inner or external world. This sort of habitual orientation comes from trust in inner or external world, which creates distrust in its opposite. For example someone who prefers Ti trusts in his own logic over someone elses if the logic doesent match. Naturally if his own logic has concluded that some particular person can be more trusted than his own logic, then the logical thing from inner perspective is to trust the external source). Also if the logic of someone else matches the Ti persons own logic, then he will gladly take the information in.
= Ti types have automatic distrust in logic from external world, but the distrust goes away if it matches the inner logic or can be explained so that inner logic can be formed. On the contrary Te types have distrust to logic where there is no objective proofs. These proofs can be either concrete(perceived through sensation) or ideal(ideas provided by education or traditions which have shown that they work in "the real world").

But since we have 4 functions that have different I/E it gets more complicated when talking about type and not just single functions. INTJ for example who uses Te, but prefers Ni over Te might reject some external idea because it doesent fit his subjective ideas formulated by intuition(which on the other hand ultimately are formulated or at least highly influenced by Te Fi and Se). Also there is constant inner conflict, like with INTP Ne generates ideas constantly based on possibilities about external world, but Ti sort of scans them eliminating the ones that are not in line with inner logic.

I am also seeking a stripped down version of what kinds of features it is exactly that each of the N/S/F/T functions are using, like what the essential property is of each of the four function-balls and the energy fields that the information is divided into.

"In Jung’s model of typology, a thinking attitude is oriented by the principle of logic; a sensation attitude is oriented by the direct perception of concrete facts; intuition orients itself to future possibilities; and feeling is governed by subjective worth." -Jung lexicon

This is the basic difference between Ti and Te(also applies to Fe/Fi):
Thinking in general is fed from two sources, firstly from subjective and in the last resort unconscious roots, and secondly from objective data transmitted through sense perceptions. Extraverted thinking is conditioned in a larger measure by these latter factors than by the former. -Jung

When it comes to Se and Si, basically Si is aesthetic(orients itself based on inner experience of the sensation), while Se is sensuous(orients itself based on the strength of the sensation itself).

me said:
Intuition is a perception by intermediate links and you only get the results of that whole chain of associations to your conscious mind in forms of instincts, metaphors or symbols, thus it is an perception via unconscious.

Ni sets the links between things according to how something fits his own subjective view of things(subjective impressions of collective symbols, impressions of relations between extraverted sensations, personal judgments or personal impressions of judgments of others). Ne sets the links according to objective factor, how things have been before and what seems plausible according to the things that have been before(comparing links of Si and previous judgment data points to understand the big picture of external world).

Functions can also be merged(like with the case of all E functions merged with sensation):
"So long as a function is still so fused with one or more other functions-thinking with feeling, feeling with sensation, etc.-that it is unable to operate on its own, it is in an archaic condition, i.e., not differentiated, not separated from the whole as a special part and existing by itself. Undifferentiated thinking is incapable of thinking apart from other functions; it is continually mixed up with sensations, feelings, intuitions, just as undifferentiated feeling is mixed up with sensations and fantasies."-Jung
^That is something disregarded in socionics and other 8 function theories, which forces them to define functions differently from MBTI/jung. The 8 function theories basically take what often comes out of the 4 functions and claim that its the function. For example socionics says this:"Extroverted logic deals with the external activity of objects, i.e the how, what and where of events, activity or work, behaviour, algorithms, movement, and actions.", but according to MBTI/Jung Ti folks can do this as well because it says that functions can work together(like Ti with Se for example to do concrete thinking, which in this case would be subjective logic based on sensations), and not because Ti folks use Te as well(that would mean holding two opposite attitudes at the same time, which isnt possible, unless you are psychotic, but 8 function models only look at functional attitudes, not I/E attitudes of the functions). Even tho these differences might seem small, the differences are in the root of the whole system, which changes it quite drastically.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
You use both introverted and extraverted functions. Being an introvert, your primary function will be an introverted one, but you will also have extraverted ones.

Do you know your type?

Your introverted function is how you deal with your internal world... It's personal to you and dealing with you. Your extraverted function is how you deal with the outer world. The people and things around you.

I realise I use both. I am an ISTJ, so my top functions are Si and Te. I am not aware enough of the basic character of how I deal with my "inner" and "outer" world. I guess if recalling information is sensation then I can see that my inner world is quite sensory... it is also focused a lot of reasoning out concepts to myself. How I deal with the outer world? I observe it, take note of what is going on. I deal with the outer world in a subjective fashion by storing data for use and comparing to previous data. I see the outside world in terms of my concrete experience with it. So, I see my dealings with the outer world as also being sensory based.

However, even though it is internal, I think I am someone who tends to explain things, rather than seeking an underlying explanation. I have a thought process about something and will reason out my thoughts. This is why I like how I have just now characterised introverted and extroverted functions. I will see data, and sort of force a logical explanation onto it.

More self exploration necessary to move to further understanding.

KitchenFly

So I am trying to understand what these functiony things be doing.

A function takes in information, does something to the information, then outputs a results.

Cognitively there are 4 different functions with 2 different attitude for each.

I envision these functions as being like a ball, containing the essential features of what the individual knows about that function in the abstract.

Can anyone tell me more about what extroverted functions do exactly?

Then I will try to describe and identify functions because at the moment I have no idea.

Hi Legion. I am going to brake it down assuming you have an understanding of the enneagram. And assuming that as a ISTJ you Identify with 3w2.

ISTJ

1. sensing (Si)
2. thinking (Te)
3. feeling (Fe)
4. intuition (Ne)

I am going to approach this puzzle with Ego Id and supper-Ego, in mind.

Ego ,at point:3 (sense) ,and at points: 7&8 Sensing.
Id ,at point:9 (think) ,and at points: 4&5 Thinking.
Supper-Ego ,at point:6 (feel) , and at points: 1&2 Feeling.

The ISTJ dominant is Si and as the Identity of the individual is at Point:3 this is sensed within as Being-Self. And the ISTJ acts out the 3w2 Attitudes and Behaviours as compelled by the passion of the point type energy at point:3.

Because the individual is separate in Being from being hole or complete it dose not exercise the enneagram as a hole even uniformed apparatuses. Because we are predominately third force blind.

So if that context is understood we can move on to the Te, Fe, and Ne.

These three function I will order upon the six pointed figure of the explicate order points of the enneagram being Points:

5 & 4 & 2 & 1 & 7 & 8

2. thinking - Te, is sheared between two points Point:4 and Point:5 ( as a function of Id and connected to Point:9 the Instinctual Energy Think linked to the driving force -self preservation SP ,Self Preservation Instinct.)

3. feeling - Fe, is sheared between two points Point:1 and Point:2 ( as a function of Supper-Ego and connected to Point:6 the Instinctual Energy Feel linked to the driving force -social SO ,Social Instinct.)

4. intuition - Ne, is sheared between two points Point:7 and Point:8 ( as a function of Ego and connected to Point:3 the Instinctual Energy Sense linked to the driving force -sexual SX ,Sexual Instinct.)

I sheared that we as humans, have fallen from grace and the 3w2 has its difficulties with also being hole or complete. The passion for the ISTJ could be thought of as an overcompensation instead of sensing at points 7&8 the ISTJ Intuits (Ne) how it can achieve and attain in supporting its first function (Si) or Being-Self as a Two Force Third Force Blind Mechanical Man.

I hope that was helpful it is a different approach but it dose address the role of the three instincts and the roles of Id, Supper-Ego, and Ego within the process.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432906217.054078.jpg

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Nope could not follow that [MENTION=24144]KitchenFly[/MENTION].

I do not relate to 3w2. I relate to 6 followed by 4, 5 and 9. The way you connect functions and enneagram is certainly unique but just does not seem to line up with the systems.

The word that stands out to me in your post is being-self.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Someone's trying to connect JCF with Enneagram again? I'm so glad we have a new resident yeghor.