• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which types REALLY make the best cops?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was flipping through Do What You Are the other night. It says that SJs and SPs tend to enjoy police work. And I've noticed from various other sources that police/detective work is preferred by SJs or SPs.

Ironically, though, I would think that the ideal cops would be in NT or even NF territory.

The detectives in classic literature seem to be INTJs (Sherlock Holmes, for example). And the nature of detective work seems to be in the realm of an NT; detective work involves analytical perception, but the purpose is to derive meaning from clues.

Ideal cops and detectives are also said to have good intuitions about people, placing them in the realm of NF.

I can see SJs and SPs doing police work because of their desire for servitude and action, respectively, but is that what makes them good cops?

A Sensor's memory for acute details may help them enjoy police work. An iNtuitive's desire to understand underlying patterns would also help them enjoy police work.

With so much of both worlds in police work, I'd say that the distinguishing function is primarily J. Since the J is more willing to work in both worlds regardless of natural preferences.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I've always see SJ /SP as police officers, I've thought of NTs as detectives, or investigators. I hope I haven't offended. My DH is an ISTJ, he's a Guardian through and through, the Rules Are The Rules. Whereas I'm here, all NT, and I know I could never be a police officer. Now I can solve problems and figure out whodunits with minimal effort, friends actually call me Detective Nat. My study of n2 is just what it is, useful only to me.

I need to think on this more.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Sherlock Holmes, of course, is fictional; so the drama of his work is heightened and the lot of the detective is romanticized.

The work of most policemen is very concrete, being the adherence to or enforcement of codes, guidelines and statutes that are either plain or self-evident. It may be that the chief recently sworn in for my city is an INTJ; but although he excels in the forward thinking of leadership it may be that his innovation is limited.

Police work is also confrontational by design and necessity, and as such does not as readily appeal to more cooperative types. A coworker of mine, an ESFx, is a sworn policeman. He chose not to join the force -- as his two sons have -- because he would not enjoy his daily interactions consisting largely of reproofs and reprimands.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
I've never had the urge to become a cop. Forensic investigator perhaps, but not a beat police officer. I'm always reminded of the personality types when I watch "Cops" on television ... and the officer says something like, "I enjoy the action of pursuing criminals." Very classic SP there. I have a few acquaintances who were quintessential bad boys in school, and are now cops or deputies.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I thought of this thread recently. I had 'dealings' with the police a few weeks ago after being the victim of road rage - twice in a one week span by the same idiot. When it came time to make a statement it sounded like this:

"Red truck, not too big, not too small, not very new, but not that old." - My SJ husband wanted to know make, model and year. Turns out it was a 96 Dakota, medium sized not new/ not old red truck. Luckily as he sped past me the second time I memorized the licence plate number.

I don't notice details like that in everyday life, my SJ does. It's scary sometimes just how much he notices. I need to be paying close attention to something to see all the details - I need to know it's important before hand.

I'd be a bad cop.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I was flipping through Do What You Are the other night. It says that SJs and SPs tend to enjoy police work. And I've noticed from various other sources that police/detective work is preferred by SJs or SPs.

Ironically, though, I would think that the ideal cops would be in NT or even NF territory.

The detectives in classic literature seem to be INTJs (Sherlock Holmes, for example). And the nature of detective work seems to be in the realm of an NT; detective work involves analytical perception, but the purpose is to derive meaning from clues.

Ideal cops and detectives are also said to have good intuitions about people, placing them in the realm of NF.

I can see SJs and SPs doing police work because of their desire for servitude and action, respectively, but is that what makes them good cops?

A Sensor's memory for acute details may help them enjoy police work. An iNtuitive's desire to understand underlying patterns would also help them enjoy police work.

With so much of both worlds in police work, I'd say that the distinguishing function is primarily J. Since the J is more willing to work in both worlds regardless of natural preferences.
The inquisitive type.

The elbowing, shoving, pushing individual.

http://www.livius.org/q/quaestor/quaestor/.html

Zhash

I always thought that the hoodlums in high school eventually became cops.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I was flipping through Ironically, though, I would think that the ideal cops would be in NT or even NF territory.
LOL, just from observation here, intuitive types are prone to lacing facts with fantasy or just miss the facts all together. I think that Ni types would be a DA's worst nightmare, in having to create a case from an INJs investigation. Investigating, even latent, can be quite tedious with a need to be painstakingly thorough. From what most of you say, you do not have the patients for real police or detective work. On the other hand, I think that INPs probably would make good forensic scientists, and ENPs good negotiators.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
LOL, just from observation here, intuitive types are prone to lacing facts with fantasy or just miss the facts all together. I think that Ni types would be a DA's worst nightmare, in having to create a case from an INJs investigation. Investigating, even latent, can be quite tedious with a need to be painstakingly thorough. From what most of you say, you do not have the patients for real police or detective work. On the other hand, I think that INPs probably would make good forensic scientists, and ENPs good negotiators.
I would think the inferior Se that goes along with having dominant Ni would be a really bad thing for investigating concrete, factual evidence. It might work for analyzing the data, but it also predisposes one to jumping to conclusions. So, yeah, what you said.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My guess would be ISTJ, the same type as the model soldier. Police officers are basically civilian soldiers that watch the streets instead of the battlefield. Awareness of procedure, attention to physical detail, and quick reaction time are important in both jobs, as they involve a lot of the same risks and methods.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sherlock Holmes is an ISTP.