• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Correlation between a person's writing & cognitive functions?

DreamBeliever

Do you think there's a correlation between a person's writing & cognitive functions? Feel free to post an example of your writing. I personally like to write poems for myself. I'm not promising that they're any good, but I'll post one of mine. I think it would be neat if you guys posted something too, & we could sort of analyze other people's writing. I just thought this could be fun to explore. Ok, here's mine (it's a bit dark, but my writing tends to be):

Blood dripping like a fosset
As time stands still
You can try to numb it with outside noise
But the pain is staring at you in plain sight
Their voices carry like an echo
But my conscious is the loudest
Life comes at you like a dagger
Even when you were never looking for a fight
I withdrawal in myself
Staring at the sky
I seek comfort from my torture
It's my wish upon a star at night
The walls are closing in
But I don't mind at all
The tight space feels cosy
Hiding away is my escape & my light
So leave me here forever
Don't bother searching for me
I'll tell you if you do
You won't like what you see

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I do think there is a correlation between a person's writing and cognitive functions. People will choose different words, different styles to express themselves depending on their personality (not always consciously). It is hard to quantify this though.

However in this context, I think writing a poem is a rather thoughtless attempt to portray yourself as an INFx (and/or E4).

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Art is an expression of the unconscious. Naturally type has much to do with that, but there are other factors as well. Two people of different types could for example write exactly the same short poem. I would say that trying to type from a poem is like backtracking cause form effect without seeing what the effect was. Its quite unreliable, but if you have enough data to work on, you can draw conclusions of the most probable type. I know this isnt exactly the same thing you are talking about, but its something that would need to be done with 100% certainty in order to prove your point.

If you look at this ENFJs poetry; Glaring Through Cool Gardens.. , you can notice much stuff that points towards Fe and Ni.

btw if you are interested there was one stufy that looked at MBTI type and hand writing and there was some correlations like tilt, size etc of the letters and MBTI dimensions. Not 100% correlations, but enough to be at least somewhat significant. I dont remember the name of the study or what the correlations were, but i found it from google years ago, maybe you can google it too if interested.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Poetry is not exclusive to 4s and INFs

True. I know a very good poet/photographer who is an ESTP. Poets, like song lyricists, come in every type.

DreamBeliever

I do think there is a correlation between a person's writing and cognitive functions. People will choose different words, different styles to express themselves depending on their personality (not always consciously). It is hard to quantify this though.

However in this context, I think writing a poem is a rather thoughtless attempt to portray yourself as an INFx (and/or E4).

I'm not trying to be any INFx type or an E4. I just like writing. I've had notebooks filled with poems, lyrics, short stories, TV/movie ideas, etc. Is this your way of telling me you don't like my poem? (which I never said you had to) Now I'm curious, do you do any writing yourself? (because I was hoping for others to post their writing too)

Jaguar

I'm not trying to be any INFx type or an E4. I just like writing. I've had notebooks filled with poems, lyrics, short stories, TV/movie ideas, etc. Is this your way of telling me you don't like my poem? (which I never said you had to) Now I'm curious, do you do any writing yourself? (because I was hoping for others to post their writing too)

You're not allowed to be true to yourself without being accused of some type of bullshit, didn't you know? But seriously, I do a lot of writing and I'm not INF 4 or any F type for that matter. No, I'm not posting my writing/poetry. ;)

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
based on my relationship to art I was typed entj - among many other things - both by test and by professional. I wanted to make art and be known for it but at the same time I didn't want it to interfere with my career.

Does that make sense?

Career is heavily TE. The social hierarchy is TE...based on a professional mbti/Jungian analyst, when one makes a choice about his life based on an external measurement and lives by that...that means your primary modus operendi is TE....

Then my FI comes up and says, but don't you want to write about all these worlds...but then I have to be honest...I can't run five miles a day and work on my physicality (SE), have a good career(TE), and go within(NI)....and then have like what, two hours day to do art? When I start Art, which I must do for mental health, I cannot sustain it. I have to be realistic. It's only when I repress it that entrodomia settles in and it rears its ugly head.

In truth I cannot be an artist. The fires of my expressions die out. I am a thinker, magician, and warrior first and a feeler second...I am a warrior/scholar and an artist third...my channels of expression are not deep enough...not for lack of depth but for lack of irrigation.

I am like a rogue who must keep adventuring. I cannot be shackled up in a room doing art for more than a few hours a day...

So to answer your question...it is not your style of writing that indicates what type you are but your conscious relationship to it.

in truth if we go by Jungian typology...it's all straight forward...

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Of course there is a correlation. What you write is a direct output of how you think. The way you structure your prose, the influences you've taken on, the subject matter, etc. Like dream interpretation, the connections between what's on the paper and what's in your head isn't necessarily straight forward, but it is there.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You're not allowed to be true to yourself without being accused of some type of bullshit, didn't you know? But seriously, I do a lot of writing and I'm not INF 4 or any F type for that matter. No, I'm not posting my writing/poetry. ;)

Just remember, if you have strong opinions on anything other than the preset acceptable list of strong opinions, it means you've been brainwashed.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A

I probably overreacted. I am just tired of a trend on the forums where people post a poem, or write in a hackneyed metaphorical manner, and then expect a stereotypical typing.

As for whether I write creatively, well I've never really tried, but I seem to be more naturally gifted with making art from images and sounds than words.

DreamBeliever

I probably overreacted. I am just tired of a trend on the forums where people post a poem, or write in a hackneyed metaphorical manner, and then expect a stereotypical typing.

As for whether I write creatively, well I've never really tried, but I seem to be more naturally gifted with making art from images and sounds than words.

It's ok. It was really just something I came up with on the spot yesterday. I found it funny that you even mentioned INFx E4, because I don't see myself anywhere near being that type (let alone pretending to be that). As for your art, that sounds cool.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Yes, INTPs should be required to add summaries to their posts.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Of course there is a correlation. What you write is a direct output of how you think. The way you structure your prose, the influences you've taken on, the subject matter, etc. Like dream interpretation, the connections between what's on the paper and what's in your head isn't necessarily straight forward, but it is there.

i disagree with that sentiment. what you write is not a direct product of what you think. What you write alters what you think, and it could be said the other way. The two are both products of a third thing and hence there is little to no correlation between how one writes and type.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
guys i think were supposed to share our writing in this thread